inTank Media Baskets

Qt tank size

najluni15

Yeah not a bad idea. Don't know why I never used them. I think because I use a powerhead and hob. I think I actually have a whisper air pump somewhere and can get sponge filters cheap.

Thanks for all your help

I'm familiar with the fire drill, but for others watching try to get some of these commonly used meds and have the QT ready and seeded before the fish arrive ;) Also have plenty of prime handy should you need it.

Anyways, good info here-definitely want to QT the angels as it seems that they always have multiple issues.

The 20 is on the small side IMO for that many fish (bioload) but it is what it is I suppose. Using the divider is a good idea.

When setting up a QT I usually use a sponge or baggie of ceramic media that has been in the DT for at least 2 weeks, preferably more. I've never QT'd that many fish before so hopefully you can keep the ammonia under control. I'm of the opinion, however, that a little bit of LR rubble and a sponge that's been in a DT for a week may not be enough so test ammonia frequently. I would probably add the nitrobacter too. Ultimately just spend a lot of time observing the QT and you'll be able to react quickly if something seems off.

I can't say if prime would interfere with any meds - but ultimately ammonia will kill the fish much quicker than a parasite or infection so if it comes down to it dose the prime.

Thanks :) yeah the 20L is a bit small but I think it'll be ok. I also have LR in my sump that I will put into the qt. Since CP won't bond to it I can use it for filtration and then it can go back to sump after I clean it up. That should be plenty of bio filtration. I had planned on doing many water changes but now with CP I don't have to

jedimasterben

Ammonia tests are for noobs. :) Just get an ammonia alert badge. One and done. That many fish in a small volume is not an issue. Bioload is determined by the amount of food put into a tank, not by how many fish there are. I have a rabbitfish, marine betta, large clownfish, and a watchman goby in a 10g tank and I have zero free or total ammonia.

Yay! The potters, anthias, and bicolor blenny are eating like pigs. Fed them mysis, formula one, NLS pellets and nori and all was eaten quickly. Now I just need to get the coral beauty to eat. He has a fat lip from shipping so hopefully it won't impact him long term

Does anybody know if prazipro can be used with CP?

Oh I just saw an advanced aquarist article that says it can be used together but CP can reduce the bioavailability of prazi. So they suggest doing I days prazi then water change then cp and prazi for 21 days. The second round of prazi doesn't need to be that strong I guess

Oh I just saw an advanced aquarist article that says it can be used together but CP can reduce the bioavailability of prazi. So they suggest doing I days prazi then water change then cp and prazi for 21 days. The second round of prazi doesn't need to be that strong I guess

As far as I know, yes. But I would do it separately still.

jedimasterben

Yep, and it's definitely true. I did a round of Prazi and then immediately dosed CP and noticed that the fish weren't pooping as they should (should always come out as if it were fine sand, if it is clumpy or stringy then they need prazi). So soon I'll put in some carbon to remove the CP and then do a round of prazi before they go back to being display fishies.

Archived