Coral Vue Hydros

Qt tank size

najluni15

Go everyone,

I have started to QT all fish additions to my tank (should have a long time ago).

I use a 20L with a powerhead and aquaclear hob rated for 50 gallons. I start with 50/50 tank water clean water and add floss from my display sump as a bio filter.

Now my question is, is the 20l enough for a coral beauty, a potters, a small blenny and 2 anthias from LA? The two angels are from DD so I was just going to prazi dip them and then place them in display but now I'm thinking it might not be worth the risk.

Thanks

fishfreak0114

If you're QTing them all at the same time then I would have to say no. I plan on getting three fish at the same time soon, not big ones or too active either, and I'm using a 25 gallon. I may be wrong though it's JMO

Go everyone,

I have started to QT all fish additions to my tank (should have a long time ago).

I use a 20L with a powerhead and aquaclear hob rated for 50 gallons. I start with 50/50 tank water clean water and add floss from my display sump as a bio filter.

Now my question is, is the 20l enough for a coral beauty, a potters, a small blenny and 2 anthias from LA? The two angels are from DD so I was just going to prazi dip them and then place them in display but now I'm thinking it might not be worth the risk.

Thanks

I would say no, five fish that active in a tank without lots of hiding places might be no good. I had great luck with DD when I ordered from them, I also got a Potter's that I loved until I downsized. Some people don't have that luck though, it's just kind of hard to get that many fish at one time and try to QT all of them correctly.

Alright I think I'll take my chances with the angels and qt the others. Prazi dip for the angels too.

jedimasterben

You'll need to do more than a dip, even if they come from Diver's Den. Do praziquantel at proper dose for one week, then do a 50% water change. Then dose Cupramine and another round of praziquantel, in a week do another 50% water change, redosing Cupramine back to proper levels, test copper every couple of days with the Seachem test kit. If using chloroquine phosphate (much preferred), do the second round of praziquantel for one week, then do another 50% water change and then dose CP to the proper level. CP is a 'one and done' med so long as you keep it away from UV light, so keep it out of a room with a lot of sunlight, don't use fluorescent lights over teh tank, etc.

Thanks! I guess my 20 long will have to do since I don't have room for another qt tank. I'll put a divider to keep the angels separate and I'll likely have to do frequent water changes to keep up with ammonia build up with 5 fish

Alright I received my fish and the qt is setup. The 20l is split in half by egg crate to prevent angels from fighting. Now the hob has nothing in it, all I have in the tank is some pvc, egg crate, heater powerhead and hob with no bio wheel or filter. This is for 5 fish. Should I add a piece of filter floss I have on my overflow in my DT to help seed the tank? I'm worried the ammonia will build up too fast while I'm at work tomorrow and I won't catch it to do a wc

The tank has been running for months but I did almost a 100% water change and tossed the old filter floss. I have new filter floss that has been in my sump for a week plus I also have bags of rock rubble that I can use. The plan was to do water changes but I'll put floss and or rock rubble in.

Do you think rock rubble will impact the cupramine dose much?

Oh and the water change was with DT water

jedimasterben

The QT tank has been running for a few months? If it doesn't have any place for bacteria to live, it won't be able to sustain the load of the food you're going to be putting in.

Copper, even cupramine, which is aminated, will bond to aragonite. You will need to not only test for copper daily, you will need to redose after to ensure copper levels stay where they need to.

IMHO, I would use chloroquine phosphate instead. It doesn't affect bacteria levels, and it doesn't bond to anything, and in addition, it kills a much broader spectrum of nasties than copper and praziquantel alone.

I had filter floss in the hob the first qt process where I qtd and treated a tang, an anthias, and a melanarus wrasse. Then I did 2 clowns and a dottyback. Now I got these five to do. I guess if I increase amount of floss I should be ok.

I had filter floss in the hob the first qt process where I qtd and treated a tang, an anthias, and a melanarus wrasse. Then I did 2 clowns and a dottyback. Now I got these five to do. I guess if I increase amount of floss I should be ok.

Do you have access to some bottled nitrifying bacteria?

I have a bottle of microbacter that's a few months old. Not sure if it's still good or if it'll work. Any thoughts?

So I found some info on new life spectrum ick shield that appears to be pc powder. Anybody use this product?

jedimasterben

So I found some info on new life spectrum ick shield that appears to be pc powder. Anybody use this product?

Yes, but the problem is that the fish need to eat it for the whole time they're in QT, and they need to eat enough of it, which is really an unknown. It's less for a 'cure' and more for 'management'.

You can get chloroquine phosphate from here: http://kmaintl.com/shop/quarantine

jedimasterben

Actually, the NLS Ick Shield powder is 50 grams of CP for $22, from KMA it is 10 grams for $12, so you get much more. You need to double the dosage from the NLS, though, they recommend 8mg/L of CP, which is relatively ineffective against nasties, needs to be 15mg/L. So one 'scoop', which is 0.6 grams, per 20 gallons gets 8mg/L, two scoops, 1.2 grams, is 16mg/L, which is about perfect.

Oh ok cool. So it is the same stuff haha. Guess I will order the NLS the. Since I can get it amazon prime :) and it is a better deal

jedimasterben

Yep, I didn't realize they had started selling it yet, I know it was in the works once they released the Ick Shield pellets, but no ETA. Be sure to keep it a dark location, it looks to be in a clear bottle, light will degrade the CP.

Yeah I noticed that. Is prime safe to use with CP if needed?

I added LR rubble and two filter pads from my sump to the hob so ammonia shouldn't be a problem. But I want to make sure just in case.

I'll also add dry rock for the fish since CP doesn't bind to it

jedimasterben

Yes, Prime (or Amquel, or Alpha) is safe for use, it does not reduce CP.

I would get some sponge filters on Amazon. They're in the $2-4 range each. Leave one in your sump so you will always have one ready, then when you get another round for QT, put the sponge filter in and attach an air pump (also super cheap, Whisper 40 or 80 or something like that, like $15), and then put another new sponge filter into the sump. When this round of QT is done, you can dispose of the used one.

Archived