Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best MH for a 10 gallon tank?

gavinsepanik

gavinsepanik

I am setting up a 10 gallon sps farm and I want to us MH to light it as well as led atinic bulbs. The tank is a standard 20x11x13 10 gallon. What would be the best fixture as well as bulb to light my aquarium?

Good luck keeping it cool. How hot is it going to be today in Lake Villa? Unless you are on sabbatical at the North Pole, you are gonna have heat issues. A 10 gallon can heat up very fast. Like you run to the store and the house air conditioning poops out and the tank turns into a soupy hot mess in the time it takes you to get back.

There are cool tube housings for MH that would help a great deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLRCT24E-Hydroponic-Reflector/dp/B00BMVPXL2/ref=pd_sim_86_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BFG1MYG9PERPXVHAH3Q

You connect ducting to both ends with an inline fan that draws air from outside and through the fixture then outside again. It keeps it cool enough that you could touch the glass while it is running. Plunk a 150w in there and it would be insane bright and nice and cool.

But then you will look like you are growing pot instead of SPS frags.

masterbuilder

MH lights work great on larger tanks but have many problems that are tough to overcome with our small tanks. A chiller will probably be mandatory.

Before my current LED set-up (thanks Dave), I used MH on my BC29. I found the Phoenix 14k gave me the best results for coral growth and color.

But as others have already stated, keeping the 10 gallon tank cool will be tough. I didn't use a chiller, but I had no less than 7 fans running. Sounded like an airport with all of 'em going at the same time, not to mention the water evaporation.

Well Ill just share my experience... I kept a 70watt halide over a 7 gallon tank with with no chiller and no heat issues. The key was the room was temp controlled and never went above 75 degrees additionally the fixture was hung about 10" above the tank.

I am with Hype on this one. I have always used MH on smaller tanks with no heat issues. But we do keep the house at 68-70 all year long.

Not to give a sales pitch but I do have a 70 watt sunpod I would ship to your door for 85 dollars.

What would be the best fixture as well as bulb to light my aquarium?

Well if you buy lawnmans 70watt sunpod (which is a steal considering 70 watt fixtures are really tough to find) you can pick up a ushio 14k bulb from marine depot.

Not to give a sales pitch but I do have a 70 watt sunpod I would ship to your door for 85 dollars.

Thats an awesome deal

Well if you buy lawnmans 70watt sunpod (which is a steal considering 70 watt fixtures are really tough to find) you can pick up a ushio 14k bulb from marine depot.

Thats an awesome deal

That Ushio bulb is my favorite 70 watt bulb. To bad Phoenix never made a 70 watt bulb.

then alternatively I will go with 2 par 38 from reef led

Personally I'd go with the Coral Compulsion PAR38's, can't beat em.

What wattage/ spectrum?

Your preference really they have a 18k and 22k bulbs listed for $129 and over a 10 gallon you'd only need 1 bulb, 2 would be more than excessive. You can go with a gooseneck or a hanging fixture, they screw into any house hold light socket. I've seen people modify lamps that stand or hang for those PAR bulbs. I used 2 PAR38 bulbs over my 20L and my corals grew like weeds, especially my Birdsnest.

Once I get home I'll be using one of those bulbs on my 7.5 gallon cube to grow SPS and other frags in. Will be overkill for a 7.5 cube but it will get the job done, I'll more than likely have it on a dimmer which the Coral Compulsion bulbs can do as well, you can put them on dimmers.

Archived