Cultivated Reef

My water change water is hotter than my tank

johnnyvega252

johnnyvega252

What can i do I'm scared because its so much water i mixed and i don't know how to cool it down so i can perform a water change :(. Any suggestions.

How big is the tank and how much water are you changing? Also, what's the difference in water temperature between two?

What can i do I'm scared because its so much water i mixed and i don't know how to cool it down so i can perform a water change :(. Any suggestions.

Set your wc bucket/jug in the bathtub. Fill the bathtub with cold water. It'll drop the temp of your wc water.

johnnyvega252

How big is the tank and how much water are you changing? Also, what's the difference in water temperature between two?

Its a 15 gallon tank and I'm doing a 1.5 water change tank temp is at exactly 78.5 thanks to my reef keeper and my water change water is at 83.5

Jack had a good idea you could try, I woulda never thought of that. Personally I put an ice pack (or actual ice) inside of a ziplock bag and then place that in my water. Make sure the seal doesn't get submerged if using ice, I use potatoe chip clip to clip the bag to the rim.

Mixing 13.5 gallons of water at 78.5 and 1.5 gallons of water at 83.5 gives you 15 gallons at 78.9. You have nothing to worry about.

johnnyvega252

awesome i plan on doing a 10% every week as its easier haha :) plus i have 30 gallon brute mixed up and ready to go :)

awesome i plan on doing a 10% every week as its easier haha :) plus i have 30 gallon brute mixed up and ready to go :)

You could also change less water more frequently. Do 1/2 gallon every other day. Cooling down 1/2 gallon is easy to do, but as you have seen, not necessary. I change 1 gallon every couple days on my 34 and have never bothered to check temp. It's and DIY AIO and I actually have things set up to where I can change out 1 gallon without shutting down the pumps. I just stop my ATO, drain out the gallon, and pour in the new just as fast as I can. I pour it in the return pump chamber and it mixes right up. I have the new water ready to go in gallon jugs and I just grab and go. Every Sunday I refill the jugs for the next week.

AZDesertRat

If it bothers you, clamp a WalMart clamp on fan over your water change water for a few minutes and cool the water down via evaporation. If I am doing large water changes here in Phoenix that is my method to cool it 3-5 degrees or more in a fairly short time if I am aerating the water too. About $10-$12 for a two speed fan and it comes in handy if the tank gets too hot too.

Archived