Top Shelf Aquatics

Wrasses More that one in a tank?

jimmy_c

Hi All;

I was alway under the opinion that only one wrasse could be kept in a tank. LFS near the house had a dragon and a yellow coris in the same display. I was shocked. Neither was harassing each other and both were going about their business of hunting like they do. So I came back a few days later and all looked fine. Think the trick is you can't keep the same species, such as a Yellow and Lime or Red Coris, but a yellow and a dragon or Possum might work.

Thoughts?? what have some of you seen. I just think these are really cool active fish.

Wrasse are actually quite social creatures. I know yellow wrasse can be kept in pairs or groups (1 male several females) very successfully and there are several other species that are the same. I have a cleaner wrasse and just picked up a high fined flasher wrasse. No issues there and I will probably be adding a yellow or 6 line wrasse at some point to get some control over my bristle worm population.

My lfs advised adding a 6 line last as they will defend a territory very vigorously, but if other wrasse are all ready present they'll settle in ok.

Same way you add a tang last as they tend to pick on anything the same size/body shape as them.

I have the following in my 180..

Cirrhilabrus jordani - Flame Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus earlei - Earl's Fairy Wrasse
Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow Coris Wrasse
Paracheilinus carpenteri - Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
Paracheilinus filamentosus - Filamented Flasher Wrasse
Macropharyngodon ornatus - Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Macropharyngodon meleagris - Leopard Wrasse

Generally you can mix flashers and fairy's.. I had 2 filamentosus in the tank for a few weeks and one got picked off. For the most part the 2 remaining flashers stick to their own sides of the tank, give short chase occasionally but nothing concerning. I removed a lubbocks from the mix when it went rogue one day on the flashers. Would chase into the rocks and then go in the holes after the fish.

Other dick wrasses include Mystery and 6 line, velvet, orange back.

and I use this when reviewing potential new additions. Basically the further apart they are on the chart, the more compatible they will/may be.

chart.png

Wow All GREAT info!!!! Great write up PRD, and Mike the chart you posted I'll study it. Yeah a 180 gal tank would be a a awesome,

Clownfish2004

Some are peaceful and social like a possum wrasse.Others like a six line are mean and very territorial.

charnelhouse

And species descriptions of aggressiveness won't hold true for all individuals of a species. I have a Yellowfin Flasher (Paracheilinus flavianalis) that hounded a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse nearly to death and is prone to being pushy to the other fish in my tank. They are very hard to catch also.... :huh:

Archived