SaltCritters.com

IM nuvo 4g vs. Fluval Spec III?

mikelee0351

mikelee0351

Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting a new pico tank and was wondering if anyone possibly has experience with both tanks and could give me some insight.

I'm not initially planning on making it a reef tank, but probably look to use it as a quarantine/hospital tank for my DT (Biocube 29) until I get it stocked back up. I had a disease outbreak and lost all my fish. I know there are cheaper DIY ways to go about this, but this is what I'm looking at, because I may eventually want to convert it to a pico reef for my office.

They both look like nice tanks, but the IM is about twice as much as the Fluval (130 vs 60). Is it worth the extra money? Would I be better off getting the Fluval and using the money I save on upgrades, livestock, etc? I'm looking for ease of setup, since it will initially be FOWLR while fish are QT.

Thanks

Edit: Or is there a better 3rd option I'm not thinking of in a similar price point?

I've been looking to do the same. Either as a QT or frag tank and I have to agree with Piccosavy, Cadlight is the way to go! It's between the Nuvo and fluval price but comes with starfire glass which is a good deal for 94 dollars brand new. Give it a look see and best of luck

Another thing you may want to consider is that I think the nuvo 4 gallon model has been discontinued so finding replacement part for it may be hard and I don't know if the warranty well still be valid on it.

mikelee0351

Another thing you may want to consider is that I think the nuvo 4 gallon model has been discontinued so finding replacement part for it may be hard and I don't know if the warranty well still be valid on it.

Good point, thanks

I have the spec iii and really like it . I'm not a huge fan of round corners so the Nuvo just isn't my style.

Are there any "must-have" upgrades for the Spec III? I'm currently not worried about the light since it will be FOWLR

Media basket and either upgraded return pump or additional power head. The stock pump is kind of weak and really doesn't keep things suspended. Also the jbj modular surface skimmer was a major improvement to the tank.

Link to my thread is below and has a video of the surface skimmer

I own both the Nuvo 8 and 4 and love them both. The 4 is the perfect pico IMO and comes with a much better light than the Fluval. The IM light is inadequate for SPS, but at least it's designed for reef applications while the fluval is just weak white. The Fluval has a pretty weak pump (as someone posted earlier) and very limited room in the back while the Nuvo has a much stronger pump (despite what the specs may say) and much more room in the back.

The Cadlights is an OK tank but the return port is only half way up the back and being so low, it kicks up sand.

As you can probably tell, I'm partial to the Nuvo line because they are well built units and can easily be modified with different pumps, basket combinations, etc. Also, you will be hard pressed to get any adjustable heater in the back of the Fluval due to the small area but plenty of room in the Nuvo.

BTW. The IM Nuvo 4 and 8, and the Fusion 10 and 20 all use the same size In-Tank media basket.

Here are some photos of the cadlights I have in storage so you can see the nozzle placement.

20150719_023025_zpsyeusyxxw.jpg

20150719_023049_zpszyjx229u.jpg

20150719_023104_zpsxjc6dijr.jpg

Yea nozzle is a little on the low side but I have not seen any one having problems with it kicking up sand

I really loved my nuvo 4. I plan on setting it back up in the fall

+1 to the upgrades required for both tanks mentioned above. It really is just a design choice. Both good tanks - which do you like the look of.

My Nuvo 4

DSC_0651.jpg

and very limited room in the back

Also, you will be hard pressed to get any adjustable heater in the back of the Fluval due to the small area .

Not true of the Spec iii , in the back of mine I have inTank basket in chamber one and then the following all in chamber two:

Mini Jet 606 with full body installed

NeoTherm 75w heater

AutoTopOff.com dual float setup

Vertex 3 line magnetic tube holder with dosing lines installed

nothing is wedged in place either , it's cramped for space but it all fits with room to move

chemikalzsky

I'm about a week into my IM nuvo 10g. So far, I have added a Hydor 425 pump and changed the lighting to the larger wave point blade 18w light.

I'm going to upgrade the media basket that came with it. It's a thin plastic and I feel like I'm going to break it when changing the filters.

Not true of the Spec iii , in the back of mine I have inTank basket in chamber one and then the following all in chamber two:

Mini Jet 606 with full body installed

NeoTherm 75w heater

AutoTopOff.com dual float setup

Vertex 3 line magnetic tube holder with dosing lines installed

nothing is wedged in place either , it's cramped for space but it all fits with room to move

I don't mean to sound offensive or doubtful but how in the world did you get all the stuff in the small chamber to the right.

PHOTO OF SPEC 3 REAR CHAMBERS.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330593-fluval-spec-rear-chamber/?p=4412639

I don't mean to sound offensive or doubtful but how in the world did you get all the stuff in the small chamber to the right.

No offense taken.

The link is of the spec / ii / V chamber. The spec iii has a different setup than the others where the chamber on the pump side is actually larger. I have a spec V as well and the chamber is MUCH smaller than that of the iii.

I will get some pics real quick , and measurements so you can see how it's done. :)

Spec V total dimensions : 17.2 "L x 6.3"W x 10.6"T

Spec iii total dimensions : 10.8"L (front/back) x 8.7"W x 11.8"T

Pump side Chamber Measurements : 3.5"wide x 2" front to back x ~12" tall

emergency float to prevent overfill attached to lid

19218059514_c09cc2bc8c_z.jpg

magnetic tube holder w/ main float at lower right

19840708705_2f50c162ce_z.jpg

mini-jet 606 sits below main float , and heater sits toward the center of the chamber just below dosing lines.

19652667510_21d4d63410_z.jpg

water level stays at the 8" mark which keeps the pump and heater submerged very well. There is about .75" between dosing line output, and surface of water in the chamber. Water would get to the 9.5" mark before emergency float shut off the ATO (aqualifter).

SHORT ANWSER : MAGIC :wizard:

Archived