SaltCritters.com

High output LEd driver

aedificator

aedificator

I need to power up an LED system that requires 32V-36V at 4.9A.

I am having hard time to find the right driver; what I have found either fits the voltage (but not the current) or the current (but not the voltage).

If any of you has a suggestion, would he point me to a possible solution?

Meanwell HLG-185H-42B will do it. It's only 4.4A max, but the next step up is 5.2A, but it drops the max voltage right to the threshold of your LED.

The HLG-185H-42B is about $65

If you move up to the HLG-240H-48B, then you have 5A with a 24-48v range. Price steps up to about $75.

What on earth are you powering that requires 4.9A?

LEDs? No. Most drivers are kept under 48V to avoid additional certification for high voltage. LED themselves are 2.2-3.5v for discrete LEDs and higher for CoB arrays, but it varies.

Right, but the LEDs themselves aren't 48v. You are using a 48v power supply to power a string of a given size that contains LEDs that have a forward voltage of 2.2-3.4v, depending on the color and manufacturer. Your comment earlier made it sound like you thought that the LEDs themselves are 48v, which isn't true. I'm sure you know that, but I was clarifying for anyone else who was reading that may have been confused by that statement.

Right, but the LEDs themselves aren't 48v. You are using a 48v power supply to power a string of a given size that contains LEDs that have a forward voltage of 2.2-3.4v, depending on the color and manufacturer. Your comment earlier made it sound like you thought that the LEDs themselves are 48v, which isn't true. I'm sure you know that, but I was clarifying for anyone else who was reading that may have been confused by that statement.

Yeah I understand how LEDs are not 48v haha. Are you using a certain LED that is different the rest?

aedificator

Thanks guys, it is for a new LED system that i have built up from extra parts that I had at home. I did not want to put too many beads in parallel (did not want to have a high current) and so I was looking for something affordable, which I ended up finding online (an HLG MeanWell driver).

As always, thanks for your help!

Archived