ReefCleaners.org

Reef Paintings

ReefWeeds

Hi NR peeps!

A little bit about me and what this thread is about:

I'm an artist and I've developed an obsession with reef keeping (obviously - I mean, who wouldn't be obsessed with our hobby??). I figured why not blend the two and fund my coral habit/addiction at the same time? After talking with Christopher Marks about the best way to go about this, I've decided to start a painting thread here where you can see what I'm working on, what's available and what I'm planning on painting. Also, 25% of all monetary sales will be donated to the Coral Restoration Foundation (thanks Felicia!!). To learn more about them, click here.

I've just started painting reef-themed paintings, so I don't have a huge collection yet, however, feel free to check out my blog for some of my other works so you can see the style of painting I do. In the meantime, here are some of the reef paintings I have done:

Sk8n Reefer's Benny the Blenny

Acrylic on board, 4"x4"

yjJJvcu.jpg

Gena's Pastel Garden

6"x12" acrylic on board

psSiTkj.jpg

Peek-a-Boo

Acrylic on board, 6"x6"

a9Rrkq4.jpg

A little bit about the process, pricing and trading:

All of my reef paintings are done in acrylics. I find that acrylics are much brighter than oils which helps mimic the fluorescence in corals and the brilliant colors of our reefs.

I will take orders for a specific type of fish (i.e. snowflake clown, mandarin, blenny, etc.). If you have favorite color corals, let me know that as well. I will also give you an estimated turnaround time. Since each of these are hand painted, I will be honest that I cannot rival amazon with two day shipping. I will also be posting up new works as I complete them. So if something interests you, let me know.

Basic pricing starts at $45 for custom orders, shipped (prices increase as size increases). I may run specials/discounts in the future if I need to move inventory and will post them here and generally existing inventory will cost less than custom orders. Here are some sizes/prices to give you an idea:

Also, back to that funding my reefing addiction: I would also be interested in trading paintings for livestock and/or hardware, dry goods, etc. Send me a PM, maybe we can work something out.

Current order list (first up on list is the next painting I will tackle):

1. Zia (in process)

2. NanoFreak79 (in process)

3. Lawnman (in process)

4. Arce (in process)

5. Braaap

Thanks for taking the time to peek at my painting thread! Got comments? I'd love to hear from you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christopher Marks

Looking good stellablue! I dig your style, it will be fun to see your collection grow!

For your commissioned pieces, will you work with someone's own photo reference, to paint a very specific fish for example?

Looking good stellablue! I dig your style, it will be fun to see your collection grow!

For your commissioned pieces, will you work with someone's own photo reference, to paint a very specific fish for example?

Thanks Christopher!!

Good question and definitely! Photos for sure help. I generally like to change around some of the background and/or colors of corals for example to make the fish pop, but definitely keep it exact for the fish.

Sk8n Reefer

We love our painting - I would encourage everyone to consider- they are a great addition to any room with your tank- thanks Stellablue

We love our painting - I would encourage everyone to consider- they are a great addition to any room with your tank- thanks Stella!

I'm so glad you guys like it! Benny is an easy subject since he's such a ham :)

Awesome idea. I've actually thought about this many times in the past (I'm wasn't the artistic talent, a friend was) but I could never totally nail down the style or image I wanted.

Gears are turning...

Awesome idea. I've actually thought about this many times in the past (I'm wasn't the artistic talent, a friend was) but I could never totally nail down the style or image I wanted.

Gears are turning...

The colors in corals and fish are so brilliant that I really had a hard time figuring out how to mimic them - especially since my "normal" work is pretty traditional. Then I realized I could just have fun with the colors. I really enjoy doing the reef-themed paintings. I also think gouache would work as some of the japanese colors are so vibrant, but I like the texture of the acrylics over gouache. AND gouache typically needs to be framed behind glass and personally, I don't like the separation glass gives between your eyes and the work.

Yup. Gonna have to order one. Gonna be of me and the old geezer Lawnman Lounge rats sitting on a park bench together cussing at the street hooligans.

HA! Actually, old geezers sitting in rocking chairs staring at a reef tank would be even better.

Lovely paintings! Do you by chance paint pets? I'd love to get a painting done of my cat, Lily. Maybe the tank too! Hmmm.

Do you think this would be a good photo to work from for an aquarium painting?

gallery_69228_3_60270.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Lovely paintings! Do you by chance paint pets? I'd love to get a painting done of my cat, Lily. Maybe the tank too! Hmmm.

Great shot!

I do paint pets! And I think that photo would make an awesome painting!!!! I'll send you some examples of pet portraits I have done in PM.

very creative idea, I love acrylic paintings. I already have a reef painting right above my tank otherwise I would have you do a big one for me. Good luck! :)

I do paint pets! And I think that photo would make an awesome painting!!!! I'll send you some examples of pet portraits I have done in PM.

Awesome! Going to pm you back now :) Thanks for sending the examples!

Archived