Innovative Marine Aquariums

Storing Salt

gavinsepanik

gavinsepanik

Hi. I am fairly new to the hobby and I just got my first bag of reef crystals to start my tanks cycle with. I proceeded to cut the bag and pour the salt into a lidless bucket. How should I keep the salt dry?

I take it you only brought a small size and it didn't come in it's own bucket?

When I was only buying 4kg bags of salt for my fluval edge I used a large food storage box with a tight lid. Worked great.

Jackal_Knight

I just went to the hardware store a bought a 2 gallon bucket and lid. If u leave it open it will turn into a solid block.

masterbuilder

Lowes has a screw on 5 gallon bucket lid with a rubber gasket. Airtight seal. Keeps moisture in the air from turning your salt into a brick.

Thanks for the feedback. What happens if it does get moist?

If it gets any sort of moisture the salt will become hard and thus becoming very difficult to remove and measure out, as already mentioned get a bucket with a seal and I also suggest getting a bag to throw in there, It's not necessary but after using Red Sea Coral pro salt I really like the way they package theirs in a bag and so I have just left the bag in there and dump in my 50gal buckets into my 170

hit up home depot or lowes and get a small bucket with lid, maybe a 3g or 5g bucket. If the prices aren't bad grab two of em. You can use the other for acclimating, and pre mixing water changes, or even curing live rock for your next tank.

Archived