Innovative Marine Aquariums

Color Mixing + Reflector for MH like shimmer

R_MC

Hi All,

I've been on the search for the holy grail of LED lighting for way too long... With the Nanobox / evil cluster / lumia 5.2 we're seeing some awesome colors and form factors, however... the color mixing and projection element just isn't there yet.

Color shadowing, while trippy and cool looking just doesn't give me that nice feel that a shimmery metal halide does. I've seen kessil's, which do give the effect, but their 'cool white's' are low CRI and leave a lot to be desired in the realm of 'light quality'.

I've searched and haven't found any results - but I'm curious if anyone has tried a setup such as:

Lumia 5.2 + Diffuser dome + 30 degree parabolic reflector mounted 3 feet or so above the tank

Many dome diffuses exist which would cover the area of the lumia:

banner-yellow-dome.jpg

This cree high bay fixture already supports multiple LEDs but still lacks the color mixing capability: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Meanwell-Driver-Cree-LED-Chips-Industrial_60133299603/showimage.html

Ideally I'd like to mount the light 3-4 feet above the tank, and have it cover a 2'x2' area - perfectly mixed but with excellent shimmer.

jedimasterben

The issue with a DIY Kessil, Mark, is that you need to order a custom multichip LED to start off with, then get a lens to fit it, and then a reflector to fit that. All is outside the realm of most hobbyists to do on the kind of scale it would take to actually get them produced :(

It is too bad... I've done a lot of research here and the closest we could get is a custom luxeon z board which would still be much larger in scale than the kessil.

The diffuser/reflector project would result in something roughly the same size as a MH setup.

The problem I see with the mixing dome Is that it will create a larger source radius which makes for uneven projection using a parabolic reflector.

Archived