Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First reef tank build plans

Krak3n

So just to introduce myself I have had aquariums off and on most of my life like many but not saltwater. I recently caught the bug and I don't think I can live without a little piece of the ocean anymore lol. I am a 911 dispatcher and it is a very stressful job sometimes but staring at a reef is really relaxing to me. That being said dispatchers aren't rich lol so it's a budget build for sure. I have been trying to learn every possible thing I can so I bought a few books and have been creeping the forum for a while now. Just want to run my build list by you guys and see if it's looking ok or am I way off.

40g breeder tank (dollar per gallon)

2 jebao wp10s with the controller

2 75 watt heaters

Bubble Magus e3 hob protein skimmer

Aquaclear 110 hob filter

EBay black box 165 watt full spectrum led light

40 pounds of dry rock

Not sure about sand

Diy stand (i think)

Livestock is still up in the air but I have some ideas

I want a pair of OC clowns one orang one black

I love the green clown gobies

Would love to have a pygmy Angel either a flame or coral beauty

Lots of zoas and LPS corals but don't want to rule out SPS down the line.

Thanks for any help

gavinsepanik

Sounds great. Tagging along for this build.

For the pygmy angel flames have more of a tendency to get aggressive IME

Good Luck

Hardware sounding good so far.. You gonna use the hob as a refugium or?

I think so. It's there more for the extra water movement and a place to add carbon or things like that if I need to but I have seen the refugiums and its seems easy enough. I guess without a sump it was just a thought for extra filtration and surface skimming.

Sounds great. Tagging along for this build.

For the pygmy angel flames have more of a tendency to get aggressive IME

Good Luck

Thanks will be a slow build for sure but I'm excited. I have read that about the angels and it Will definitely be the last in the tank. Hopefully I can get a nice easy going one lol.

Murphs_Reef

Do a sump. Might as well since you can buy a 20 long at Petco for $20. It will add about $200 to your build when all is said and done and you will be very happy with it.

Agreed.. I don't have a dump currently, didn't think I would need one but the advantage against cost is untold... Next project, emtpy tank, turn upside down, get power tools out! GULP....

But yes... If it's not set up yet...sump it...

Murphs_Reef

I thought Pygmy Angels were a reef no-no. But I could be wrong

I wouldn't risk it to be fair... Stories of both goodness and badness from what I have heard, but generally fat Angels and no corals ;)

gavinsepanik

Pygmy angels are hit or miss. If it is a miss you can always net it and trade for a different one at your LFS

fishfreak0114

Yah I got lucky with a non coral muncher and peaceful one. If you do get one, keep it well fed you may be all right.

• 3 weeks later...

Well things are moving along however slowly. After a bit more research and thinking I've adjusted my plan a bit. I got the tank now working on the stand. Going to be hand picking my pieces of live rock here and there locally. I've found a few cool pieces so far. So new list looks like this.

40 gallon breeder- purchased

2 jebao rw-4

150 watt eheim jager heater

Bubble magus e3 protein skimmer

Aquaclear 100

Ocean revive S026 led light

Livestock

2 oc clowns

1 coral beauty Angel

1 hi fin red stripe goby

1 green clown goby

Maybe a few green chromis undecided

Mix of hermit snail CuC

Green BTA

Blue porcelain crab

Mix of soft coral lps and zoas

So excited but taking it slow. Can't wait to get it wet!

Sump the tank a 20 gallon long is not much and drilling it will probably cost the same as the AquaClear filter your going to buy plus you can move everything to it instead of having it hang on your display

Archived