Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Does my grape coral have brown belly disease?

joshvollberg

joshvollberg

Sorry the pic is upside down. Got him yesterday and he was partially open for a few minutes in the tank. I noticed white stringy stuff as well.

post-86278-0-88730300-1437076955_thumb.jpg

If it's brown jelly disease or the clear stuff is the precursor of it, the discharge will smell absolutely horrible. Siphon some up with a pipette into a shot class or something and find out. ;)

That said, mine did much the same when I first got one after gluing it into place... so give it some time to settle in. If tissue around the base isn't receeding (can't really tell from the pic) then it should be OK.

Difficult to day from the pic...

Euphyllia does expel waste occasionally, not sure about the white though...

BJS/BJD is usually noticed more around the base on the skeleton area. If you're unsure carefully smell the frag and if it smells like death then there's a good chance it does have it. Using a disposable baster or something to collect fluid from around it also works.

Do you have other LPS in the tank?

joshvollberg

Difficult to day from the pic...

Euphyllia does expel waste occasionally, not sure about the white though...

BJS/BJD is usually noticed more around the base on the skeleton area. If you're unsure carefully smell the frag and if it smells like death then there's a good chance it does have it. Using a disposable baster or something to collect fluid from around it also works.

Do you have other LPS in the tank?

This is my only lps coral. Very curious to see what's going on. I imagine if it were bjd it would be completely closed up right now..

This is my only lps coral. Very curious to see what's going on. I imagine if it were bjd it would be completely closed up right now..

Well it depends... Usually the bjs starts around a small injury of some sort. So in the first day or 2 it could lurk around there until it goes into full death mode. The whole thing doesn't necessarily close up, usually just the area around the infection site will look odd. Once you start seeing whole sections turn to goo it's too late in many cases for small frags.

I actually had a bout of BJS on a large frogspawn a few months ago that was total hell - had it been a branching type I would have just cut off the affected branches and hoped for the best but it was a wall style so all interconnected so tough to frag and eventually the infection would have just kept spreading.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360096-brown-jelly-on-e-divisa-frogspawn-must-save-this-coral/

Archived