B.LaCe

*UPDATE*
Current Set-up:
-JBJ RL 30 w/ stand and stock pumps
-(2)inTank media baskets
-Vortech MP10
-Radio XR30 Pro
-Reeflink
-JBJ SK45 (Cad-lights PLS-50 Elite on the way)
-Tunze Nano Oslmolator ATO
-30lbs of live rock
-20lbs of live sand
-small CUC (10 Hermits, 5 snails and a Camelback Shrimp)

Just wanted to introduce myself: I'm Bill, from Pittsburgh, PA. This is my first venture into SW/Reef tanks. I've had quite a few FW and/or Planted tanks over the past decade...Though, I admittedly know next to nothing about SW aquariums. My Girlfriend and I decided we wanted to start our first aquarium together. Recently, we were snorkeling on vacation in St. Lucia... we decided immediately to try our hand at a SW aquarium!

We purchased an AIO JBJ Rimless 30 gal tank/stand "kit" from our LFS. This tank is going to live in our living room so "we" wanted something "clean" looking. I have an ADA 60F that's collecting dust I would've loved to have used, but, that wasn't my call! It came with two 3-stage Filter Media Baskets (sponge, bio rings and carbon), two 266-gph Accela powerheads, a JBJ Pacifica 108w led light, a refractometer and a JBJ SK 45 protein skimmer. We also purchased 30lbs. of live rock, 20 lbs. of live sand and 30 gals. of DI water. Everything is all set up and running (cycling) and, for the most part, I couldn't be happier.

Our Goal- We would like NOT be limited (other than space, of course) to types of corals... Eventually having a variety of "nano safe" corals in our reef tank!

I do have a few very NOOB questions:

1. Lighting: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27803
I am immediately questioning the quality of this light. After seeing what it sells for, I wish I would've opted to part out this aquarium and gone with a better known quality of light. My gut is telling me to replace it with a light I've read more about (ie: AI Hydra 26 or a Kessil A360we). Does anyone have any experience w/ this JBJ led?

2. Cycling: With live sand and live rock, should we add anything else to aid in the cycling process? I think I can be patient enough to wait a month of two for the cycle to complete... but, in the meantime, is there any suggested "critters" we can add in now?

3. Filter media: I'm currently using the carbon that came with the 3 stage filter baskets... mainly for keeping the cloudiness from the new sand at bay. Eventually I would like to replace it... Should I use more mechanical media or bio media?

Sorry to ask so many questions up front. I'm jut trying to get off to the best possible start I can. I know patience is the biggest part of starting ANY new tank. But, I am excited to learn ANYTHING anyone is willing to teach me. I can already see from trolling to forums for a few days this is a GREAT place for me to learn!

Thanks in advance,
-B.LaCe

PS: I will post pics ASAP! I would love some honest critique of our hardscape!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Welcome to nano-Reef! I myself am a proud owner of a JBJ RL series!

1. Yep, from what I've seen (online and at RAP) the JBJ a lighting isn't great. I would recommend (depending on your budget) a Radion apro or NanoBox duo iif you are determined to go LED, or a ATI Sunpower 6x24w if you're all right with T5"s

2. There are a lot of products for cycling faster, but you need to get testing first. If you used live rock and live sand, get to know the tanks status. Measure Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite (preferably using Salifert tests) to see and moniter the cycle.

3. Get Chemi-Pure Blue. Now. Haha it's gods gift to reefers- one packet with Carbon, GFO, and Phosban

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Before you go about upgrading lights or ANYTHING! Get an InTank RL-30 media basket. They are 200x better than the JBJ a one- twice as large, heavy duty, etc. It's a cheap way to double your filterstion :)

Good luck!

Just wanted to introduce myself: I'm Bill, from Pittsburgh, PA. This is my first venture into SW/Reef tanks. I've had quite a few FW and/or Planted tanks over the past decade...Though, I admittedly know next to nothing about SW aquariums. My Girlfriend and I decided we wanted to start our first aquarium together. Recently, we were snorkeling on vacation in St. Lucia... we decided immediately to try our hand at a SW aquarium!

We purchased an AIO JBJ Rimless 30 gal tank/stand "kit" from our LFS. This tank is going to live in our living room so "we" wanted something "clean" looking. I have an ADA 60F that's collecting dust I would've loved to have used, but, that wasn't my call! It came with two 3-stage Filter Media Baskets (sponge, bio rings and carbon), two 266-gph Accela powerheads, a JBJ Pacifica 108w led light, a refractometer and a JBJ SK 45 protein skimmer. We also purchased 30lbs. of live rock, 20 lbs. of live sand and 30 gals. of DI water. Everything is all set up and running (cycling) and, for the most part, I couldn't be happier.

Our Goal- We would like NOT be limited (other than space, of course) to types of corals... Eventually having a variety of "nano safe" corals in our reef tank!

I do have a few very NOOB questions:

1. Lighting: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27803

I am immediately questioning the quality of this light. After seeing what it sells for, I wish I would've opted to part out this aquarium and gone with a better known quality of light. My gut is telling me to replace it with a light I've read more about (ie: AI Hydra 26 or a Kessil A360we). Does anyone have any experience w/ this JBJ led?

2. Cycling: With live sand and live rock, should we add anything else to aid in the cycling process? I think I can be patient enough to wait a month of two for the cycle to complete... but, in the meantime, is there any suggested "critters" we can add in now?

3. Filter media: I'm currently using the carbon that came with the 3 stage filter baskets... mainly for keeping the cloudiness from the new sand at bay. Eventually I would like to replace it... Should I use more mechanical media or bio media?

Sorry to ask so many questions up front. I'm jut trying to get off to the best possible start I can. I know patience is the biggest part of starting ANY new tank. But, I am excited to learn ANYTHING anyone is willing to teach me. I can already see from trolling to forums for a few days this is a GREAT place for me to learn!

Thanks in advance,

-B.LaCe

PS: I will post pics ASAP! I would love some honest critique of our hardscape!

Welcome to the forum! I have the same tank, but the 45 gallon version. Mine is still in the beginning phases too. I am using the AI Hydra 26 light, which I think is an amazing light. It has alot of controls that I am still trying to figure out, but I think its a perfect light for the tank.

I dosed my tank with ammonia from ace hardware to keep the cycle going. And when it started processing 2ppm in 24 hours I added a couple fish at that point. There is plenty of info online about fishless cycling with ammonia from Ace.

I would suggest getting media baskets from InTank for your setup. They are twice the size of the stock baskets and double your filtration. Plenty of people on here will vouch for InTank baskets. If you look for Harry's thread he did a great review on them.

Lets see some pics of the tank!

Mr. Clownfish

Hi Bill. Welcome to nano reef.

#1. Yes I would replace the light. AI Hydra 26 would be a good option for almost anything that you could want in that tank.

#2. Go to your grocery store and ask the guy at the seafood counter for one piece of raw shrimp. He will probably give you a really funny look but if you put that in your tank it will really help kickstart your cycle.

#3. Replace the media baskets asap. The JBJ baskets suck. InTank makes some really nice ones or your can make some DIY ones if you're handy with acrylic and egg create material.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

HarryPotter

Just to show you, here's the InTank baskets next to the Stock JBJ a baskets

IMG_0716_zpstla6p0i1.jpg

And a picture of my pride and joy, because I can't resist!

IMG_1756_zpsha7znsxs.jpg

Thanks a TON Harryjsinger! The tank has been up and running for 24 hours now. I'll do some research on testing (and Salifert tests) and get started asap. I know its corny: I still keep a "Tank Journal" in the cabinet to write down any info gathered for the day. My GF is a bit more anal than I am... she's developing a excel spreadsheet, god bless her!

As far as media (Chem-pure blue, specifically) you suggest using carbon in this reef set-up? I'll definitely look into anything labeled "god's gift" lmao!

I am partial to LED's for a few reasons: Our tanks location is literally right next to our home thermostat, so im trying to keep the heat to a minimum. I also like the longevity of LED's vs T5's. And yes, I too have read some pretty poor reviews about this JBJ led. I think ill be hunting for a replacement VERY soon!

HarryPotter

Thanks a TON Harryjsinger! The tank has been up and running for 24 hours now. I'll do some research on testing (and Salifert tests) and get started asap. I know its corny: I still keep a "Tank Journal" in the cabinet to write down any info gathered for the day. My GF is a bit more anal than I am... she's developing a excel spreadsheet, god bless her!

As far as media (Chem-pure blue, specifically) you suggest using carbon in this reef set-up? I'll definitely look into anything labeled "god's gift" lmao!

I am partial to LED's for a few reasons: Our tanks location is literally right next to our home thermostat, so im trying to keep the heat to a minimum. I also like the longevity of LED's vs T5's. And yes, I too have read some pretty poor reviews about this JBJ led. I think ill be hunting for a replacement VERY soon!

Before you chuck out the hundreds for the light while your tank is cycling (doesn't need light btw), I would say the InTank baskets, Testing kits, and an ATO are your best investments.

An ATO is a device that automatically adds fresh water to your tank whenever water evaporates, so you don't need to pour in fresh water every day. I reccomended the Tunze Osmulator Nano.

Just to show you, here's the InTank baskets next to the Stock JBJ a baskets

IMG_0716_zpstla6p0i1.jpg

And a picture of my pride and joy, because I can't resist!

IMG_1756_zpsha7znsxs.jpg

Gorgeous aquarium! Love it!

Hi Bill. Welcome to nano reef.

#1. Yes I would replace the light. AI Hydra 26 would be a good option for almost anything that you could want in that tank.

#2. Go to your grocery store and ask the guy at the seafood counter for one piece of raw shrimp. He will probably give you a really funny look but if you put that in your tank it will really help kickstart your cycle.

#3. Replace the media baskets asap. The JBJ baskets suck. InTank makes some really nice ones or your can make some DIY ones if you're handy with acrylic and egg create material.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Thank you! I think ill be ordering from intank very soon! Raw shrimp... that's new on me, but i'll definitely read up on it!

Welcome to the forum! I have the same tank, but the 45 gallon version. Mine is still in the beginning phases too. I am using the AI Hydra 26 light, which I think is an amazing light. It has alot of controls that I am still trying to figure out, but I think its a perfect light for the tank.

I dosed my tank with ammonia from ace hardware to keep the cycle going. And when it started processing 2ppm in 24 hours I added a couple fish at that point. There is plenty of info online about fishless cycling with ammonia from Ace.

I would suggest getting media baskets from InTank for your setup. They are twice the size of the stock baskets and double your filtration. Plenty of people on here will vouch for InTank baskets. If you look for Harry's thread he did a great review on them.

Lets see some pics of the tank!

Thank you, I'll try to post pics after work tonight!

Welcome to the forum!!

Don't go ditchin the light. Yes it doesn't have all the colors etc the other brands do, but it still has good power, control and will grow your corals. Worry about the light 6 months to a year from now. Your light will do just fine and your corals will look great under the blues. For the money your right you could have got better, but what you have can work and will work, so don't just blow that money right now as your gonna want it to stock that tank.

Iv'e Got the exact tank as you do, as theres much more to reefing than just Equipment you will need to learn to be successfull I will just give you the rundown of What I use:

JBJ 30 RL w/ Stand

Kessil A360W W/ Gooseneck & Controller

Intank Filter Floss Holder (This is used to catch the floating detrius)

IM Magnafuge LED (Hangs on the back under the InTank to grow my Cheato which removes Nitrates)

BRS Mini Reactor (Mixed w/ Rox Carbon & GFO to Remove Organics & Phosphates)

CadLite PLS-50 Skimmer (Used for Removing the Excess Nutrients)

Jecod DP-3 Dosing Pump

Apex Jr W/ EB8, PM1, PM2, BOB

As I have been in SW for many years I had this tank pretty much planned out from the beginning and how I wanted to approach it and what equipment I felt would be neccisary to make things as smooth going as possible, the only thing I didn't have in mind was exactly what dosing pump I wanted and to be honest I'm kind of regretting the Jebao and thinking about upgrading to a Vertex but we will have to see.

Good Luck, let us know if you have any other questions and remember "Reef Corals & Smaller Tank" Is a whole different world and requires allot more attention and research than your Freshwater and the keys to success are Patience & Stability

Well here is a terrible cellphone pic of our setup. Unfortunately, our 7.5lb puppy destroyed the remote that controls this JBJ Pacifica light... Which is the ONLY way to turn on the light! I contacted JBJ and they immediately responded and are sending me a new remote (for $26+s&h). I would love some honest opinions of our hardscape. As I said before, this is my first SW setup! Thanks in advance!

post-88635-0-29097600-1437099799_thumb.jpg

Looks nice! You have alot of nice rock to work with!

If it were me I would put the peak of the rocks off to one side instead of in the center, but thats just me. Right now while its cycling with no corals, you have some time to play with the scape before it gets more permanent with corals in place.

Thanks NanoGeek! I'm not overly crazy with how "symmetrical" the scape is. I agree, maybe a shift of the peak to either side would look better!

I think it would, and now is the time to play with it. I would arrange it a few different ways, take pictures of each and compare them for what you all like best. My tank is all dry rock, so I was able to build my scape outside of the tank then glue it all together. It will be a little harder with live rock in the tank, but it can be done.

Here's a pic of the rescape. Also got the light to turn on but still can't adjust the color until the replacement remote control arrives.

31657602-EBA7-4977-884D-6EEB6C995F32.jpg

charnelhouse

Here's a pic of the rescape. Also got the light to turn on but still can't adjust the color until the replacement remote control arrives.

I like the scape. It reminds me of formations I've seen snorkeling off Maui.

I think it looks great, cant really tell from the lighting, but it looks like you have an overhang and a little cave area on the left. I like it!

I think it looks great, cant really tell from the lighting, but it looks like you have an overhang and a little cave area on the left. I like it!

I like the scape. It reminds me of formations I've seen snorkeling off Maui.

Thanks! Yeah, me and this light aren't getting along! I'm going to use it for the time being... but I'm already eyeing replacements (ie: AI Hydra 26, (2) AI primes, EcoTech Radion xr30) If I could make up my mind on which one I wanted I'd probably have a new light by now!

inTank Media baskets and Tunze Nano Osmolator should be arriving tomorrow. Dosed the Tank w/ Dr. Tim's One and Only along with their Ammonium Chloride Sunday. Per the instructions I doesd to 2ppm Ammonium. Tested today: Ammonia- <0.2, Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0... So its working, I suppose.

Thanks! Yeah, me and this light aren't getting along! I'm going to use it for the time being... but I'm already eyeing replacements (ie: AI Hydra 26, (2) AI primes, EcoTech Radion xr30) If I could make up my mind on which one I wanted I'd probably have a new light by now!

inTank Media baskets and Tunze Nano Osmolator should be arriving tomorrow. Dosed the Tank w/ Dr. Tim's One and Only along with their Ammonium Chloride Sunday. Per the instructions I doesd to 2ppm Ammonium. Tested today: Ammonia- <0.2, Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0... So its working, I suppose.

I have an AI hydra 26, so I am kind of biased towards it lol. Its a great light. I would keep dosing the ammonia back up to 2.0ppm until you see it go back to zero in 24 hours. Keep dosing until you are ready to add fish.

Got our Tunze Nano Osmolator hooked up and running yesterday:A40BBA5F-164C-4E4B-93A4-C3986A76009F.jpg

And our inTank media baskets... which are FAR superior to the stock jbj nano baskets:

CAB4BA35-F667-4292-A8D1-D0B727A207BE.jpg

Most recent haul! Ventured out to another Pittsburgh LFS known for aquatics and picked up some new goodies for the tank. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the RMS so I had to order it online: 8E348CB9-BA57-4465-8CDA-1C35E1931469.jpg

HarryPotter

Most recent haul! Ventured out to another Pittsburgh LFS known for aquatics and picked up some new goodies for the tank. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the RMS so I had to order it online: 8E348CB9-BA57-4465-8CDA-1C35E1931469.jpg

WOWWWWWW!

Nice haul dude! Thats some incredible equipment.

Word of advice: don't start too high with the radion. Im at 40% with SPS and Clams

I'm going to be posting the JBJ led in the classifieds section of the forum if anyone is interested, shoot me a pm!

Archived