Pod Your Reef

Killer white slime consuming tank

Havok_9

Tons of credit to Dr. Tims product. I also think using thick filter floss in the back chambers to catch and remove a lot of the slime helped as well. Hopefully this will help anyone who has to deal with a bacteria bloom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like something I had happen a few weeks ago... I just sat by the tank for like 3 days with a damn turkey baster. It was amazing how fast the "snot" would pop back up. Went thru a lot of floss filter and water changes. Glad it worked out for you.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
Tay Kendall
On 7/14/2015 at 9:57 PM, Havok_9 said:

Ok, beginning to think the forces that be are against me owning a reef tank. Period. Finally get back into the swing of things with a 20 gal IM tank, my plan is to keep corals simple and and a minimalist approach to things.

For the first 2-3 weeks everything was awesome. I transfered 10 lbs of mature liverock from a previously running tank, about 1 1/2 inch new sand bed (caribsea aragalive fiji pink), one clown, and a few zoas and mushrooms. Everything was going great, water was crystal clear, zoas were healthy and growing. Water changes and rinsing the sponges in the back chambers, keeping up with maintenance. No prob.

After I decide to add a few corals (small torch frag, zoas, some xenia) my tank turned cloudy that same night. Figuring it was just a bacteria bloom I did a water change the next day. It gradually got worse and worse and now over a week I can't even make a dent in it. Strands of clear/white slime cover everything, rocks/glass/coral is dieing. Water changes do nothing, that slime just laughs and comes back with a vengeance. Clown fish seems ok but its killing coral and has killed my featherduster.

Gonna take a sample to my LFS tomorrow, just looking for any help... Dont have current params, will post shortly when I gather them. I've done four water changes in this time period.

I'm so close to selling everything!!!

EDIT: I've researched and considered all sorts of possibilities. I don't spray air fresheners or use fragrance plug ins. Could it have anything to do with a new sand bed? The worst I was expecting from that was a soft cycle

I'm also keeping the water very well aerated if it is in fact an oxygen consuming bacteria

I'm having the same exact issues as you I have a 20 gal innovative marine peninsula.. exact same. Even with the types of coral and feather duster you have. All of my corals that I left in are dead, fish that are left are alive seen to be ok. But my feather duster, conch snail and cleaner shrimp are dead. I work at a salt water only store, ive been here for 4 years now. And my two bosses have no idea what it is. They've been in the hobby for over 15 years... all of my levels test fine. I'm starting to think it's my candle wax melter.. but im so stressed out. At one point my water was clear but it's back to being cloudy and slimy... I did a alk test today amd when I put the reagent into my water it looked like oil droplets. 

Idk man have you figured anything out?

Nano sapiens
21 hours ago, Tay Kendall said:

I'm having the same exact issues as you...

Hmm, the last post for this thread was 6 years ago, so you might not get a reply from the OP...

These blooms are caused by some form of organics and candle wax would be a prime suspect. 

Per the web:

'Most modern candles are made from paraffin wax, but they're also commonly made of beeswax, soy wax, or palm wax'

When you heat the product up I bet you can smell it, so some of the organic molecules will have become airborne.  Try moving the pot to a different room as far away from the aquarium as possible and keep that room well ventilated to the outside.

• Thanks 1
Tay Kendall
On 7/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Hmm, the last post for this thread was 6 years ago, so you might not get a reply from the OP...

These blooms are caused by some form of organics and candle wax would be a prime suspect. 

Per the web:

'Most modern candles are made from paraffin wax, but they're also commonly made of beeswax, soy wax, or palm wax'

When you heat the product up I bet you can smell it, so some of the organic molecules will have become airborne.  Try moving the pot to a different room as far away from the aquarium as possible and keep that room well ventilated to the outside.

Thank you so much for the info, my tank is in a bedroom and I have a candle warmer in my room. I have turned it off and will now be turning it on in my room anymore!

Nano sapiens
6 hours ago, Tay Kendall said:

Thank you so much for the info, my tank is in a bedroom and I have a candle warmer in my room. I have turned it off and will now be turning it on in my room anymore!

Ok, sounds good.  Also watch out for room fresheners as they can have a similar effect.

• Thanks 1
Tay Kendall
On 7/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Ok, sounds good.  Also watch out for room fresheners as they can have a similar effect.

Yep, no more candle warmers or room spray. Thank you for the help. I've been so frustrated. I had a 16 gal tank with my ex in our home and never had issues. But now that I'm back home with a new tank in a small room, it's good to be aware of this type of issue!

• Like 1