Pod Your Reef

What is my Torch doing?

Christy1279

Christy1279

I bought this torch on Saturday and it has been doing great. It was fully open on Sunday and has looked great since. Today after running errands my torch was doing this:

DSC01259_zpsap6tofpv.jpg

DSC01263_zpsam7wf7j5.jpg

It has let go of all the "strings" (for lack of a better word) and they settled on my small group of zoas. It's mouth is closing but it looks terrible.

Was it using the restroom? Sick? Did I do something to piss it off?

Thanks for any help.

Christy1279

The strings are off but the mouth is still open- not as much as in the pictures but still a lot.

Sorry I am a little freaked- It is the only thing I have bought other than a small group of zoas and mushrooms.

Christy1279

Thank you. I really don't want to kill anything. It can be scary being new to this hobby...I am always afraid I will screw up!

I tested this morning ( took a sample to the local fish store so I could compare my numbers to theirs )

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 0

pH - 8.0

Alkalinity - 11.2

Calcium - 350

SG - 1.025

Magnesium - 1200

Temp - 78

Feeces or zoo algae perhaps. What are your water parameters? Need real numbers of tests done today.

I was gonna say the other brown goo, but was like ehhhhhhh looks like poop, Cjjon is right though test da wata!

I noticed that after I add an RFA or corals or such to my tank, they tend to "poop" within the first couple days - probably acclimating still to the new conditions. Maybe just watch it for a couple days?

Christy1279

I noticed that after I add an RFA or corals or such to my tank, they tend to "poop" within the first couple days - probably acclimating still to the new conditions. Maybe just watch it for a couple days?

A warning would be nice! :unsure:

A warning would be nice! :unsure:

HA! Yeah, I freaked the first time I saw an RFA do it too. I thought for sure it was a goner. Well, I'm going to say that I'm new at this too so maybe it isn't normal for things to poop a couple days in :) Although everything that has is still doing well, so I say wait and see. Probably needs a bit just to recover :)

Christy1279

HA! Yeah, I freaked the first time I saw an RFA do it too. I thought for sure it was a goner. Well, I'm going to say that I'm new at this too so maybe it isn't normal for things to poop a couple days in :) Although everything that has is still doing well, so I say wait and see. Probably needs a bit just to recover :)

Thank you....It is starting to look better! I am working up to a RFA - someday. My tank is only 9 weeks old so I have a long way to go. I am really enjoying all the research and I have a hard time picking what I want to add. I don't want to choose the wrong things. I am very thankful to have found NR.

Thank you....It is starting to look better! I am working up to a RFA - someday. My tank is only 9 weeks old so I have a long way to go. I am really enjoying all the research and I have a hard time picking what I want to add. I don't want to choose the wrong things. I am very thankful to have found NR.

It is a GREAT forum and there's so much info and so many great people willing to help/share/give advice. It's been a great place.

Do you have a build thread?

It is expelling its zooxanthellae. (look it up). They do this when they are stressed by something. In my case, mine was bleaching from too much light too soon. It may stop and never do it again or it may be a sign of something more serious. I would advise you to check your water parameters, lighting, and anything else that may be irritating it. It also may mean nothing more than it's acclimating to a new environment.

Here is a pic of mine doing the same thing last year..

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/fsuggs50/20140710_212533_zpsbf8ec5d2.jpg

Christy1279

It is expelling its zooxanthellae. (look it up). They do this when they are stressed by something. In my case, mine was bleaching from too much light too soon. It may stop and never do it again or it may be a sign of something more serious. I would advise you to check your water parameters, lighting, and anything else that may be irritating it. It also may mean nothing more than it's acclimating to a new environment.

Here is a pic of mine doing the same thing last year..

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/fsuggs50/20140710_212533_zpsbf8ec5d2.jpg

Thank you- I will spend some time reading. I have checked everything you mentioned and I have not found anything off. I hope it is just its way of acclimating and saying hello to its new tank.

Thank you. I really don't want to kill anything. It can be scary being new to this hobby...I am always afraid I will screw up!

I tested this morning ( took a sample to the local fish store so I could compare my numbers to theirs )

Ammonia - 0

Nitrate - 0

pH - 8.0

Alkalinity - 11.2

Calcium - 350

SG - 1.025

Magnesium - 1200

Temp - 78

I'm surprised no one said anything about your numbers. 11.2 kH and 350 ppm Ca is not good. If you are dosing, you need to dose Ca and Alk in equal portions. If you aren't dosing, then you need to figure out what is going on. Alk shock IME is the number one killer of stony corals. This could be the reason for your new hammer expelling zooxanthellae. I can't tell you the numbers they should be because that is dependent on your tank. In my tank, the corals get mad if I go over 8 kH and below 400 ppm Ca. So I try to keep it at 7.8 kH and 420 ppm Ca.

Edit:

Should've said my Mg levels as well because these influence Alk. If your Mg is low, it will cause you Alk to fluctuate rapidly. I keep mine at about 1250 ppm. Yours doesn't look bad. If you plan on raising it, raise it first, then adjust Alk and Ca.

Christy1279

From my reading I thought my numbers were good-

Alk between 8 and 12

Calcium between 350 and 450

Mg between 1200 and 1350.

I don't dose since I am new to this. I guess I will add that to my reading tonight as well.

All between 10-12 isn't way out of whack, especially in newer systems before you have corals using it up. Calcium isn't that low - I wouldn't worry about dosing. Your water changes should replenish trace elements, calcium and alk. I really think the torch is just getting used to its new home, just watch it over a couple days.

what salts are you using?

I am not sure. I buy my water premixed from the LFS.

Gotcha. I would ask them what salt they use and then you can look up what the typical parameters are. Example: Red Sea Coral Pro tends to have higher calcium etc. than say the normal Red Sea salts. How often do you do water changes?

I am not sure. I buy my water premixed from the LFS.

First of all, your Ca and Mg are ok as long as you don't have much SPS in the tank. It wouldn't hurt to increase them a little but for Zoas, Softies and LPS, they are ok.

My Alk always runs 11 to 13 without any problems at all. I would for sure start mixing your own water because most LFS have a habit of mixing low on things because it saves them money and all you need is a bucket, salt mix, RO/DI or distilled water(I use bottled distilled from WalMart), and a stirring stick. You will also have a one time expense of a Refractometer (50.00) or a inexpensive Hydrometer (10.00) and your all set. You can mix your salt water to pretty much any concentration you choose and it will be much cheaper than buying salt water from the LFS.

Mixing it myself, my saltwater costs me a whopping 1.35 a gallon including the salt mix and bottled water.

Christy1279

Gotcha. I would ask them what salt they use and then you can look up what the typical parameters are. Example: Red Sea Coral Pro tends to have higher calcium etc. than say the normal Red Sea salts. How often do you do water changes?

I do water changes every other weekend.

First of all, your Ca and Mg are ok as long as you don't have much SPS in the tank. It wouldn't hurt to increase them a little but for Zoas, Softies and LPS, they are ok.

My Alk always runs 11 to 13 without any problems at all. I would for sure start mixing your own water because most LFS have a habit of mixing low on things because it saves them money and all you need is a bucket, salt mix, RO/DI or distilled water(I use bottled distilled from WalMart), and a stirring stick. You will also have a one time expense of a Refractometer (50.00) or a inexpensive Hydrometer (10.00) and your all set. You can mix your salt water to pretty much any concentration you choose and it will be much cheaper than buying salt water from the LFS.

Mixing it myself, my saltwater costs me a whopping 1.35 a gallon including the salt mix and bottled water.

I plan on mixing my own but have enjoyed the ease of picking up water from the LFS. I guess I need to just make the jump. :)

I do not have a lot of coral in my tank - one small group of zoas, 6 small mushrooms, one unidentified piece, and my torch. I am just starting out and I do not want to rush anything.

Ideally you would make your own rodi and mix you own salt water. But for some it's just not feasible. I mix my own salt water but I was getting my rodi from our crap LFS till I bought a tds meter and found their tds was almost 20. If you are going to mix your own saltwater and use their rodi water I definitely get a tds meter. Like everyone said most are going to try and stretch everything out s long as possible because they are there to make money.

Archived