ReefCleaners.org

Does size really matter?!

ImNew:]

Like most of us, I've been beating the age old question of what fish to stock my new reef with. The problem I'm having is all the conflicting advice from different sites as to what fish you can have in a nano. Some say gallon size matters but not as much as length or height, depending on what kind of fish you are looking at. Then there are those amazing small nanos who have fish that shouldn't be in there according to the "fish experts" yet the tank is doing great and the fishes don't look stressed. ( and no I'm not saying a tang in a 5 g haha) Hopefully you guys can help me out, after all who would know more about nano tanks than a reefing site for nano reefers!! I'll give you guys all my tank specs and my stocking plans and hopefully you guys can shed some light for me.

Tank: Ada 60-f: 24 long x 12 deep x 7 tall (8.6 gallons)

Sump : 12 gallons with skimmer and chaeto

Stocking plans: 1 clown fish? A pair? Suggestions?

I think my filtration will allow the water parameters to be stable, and clownfish do not move so much but apparently I would need at least a 20g for a pair, Or 10g for a single according to other sites. Is there any other suggestions that you guys would think is a better fit for this tank? I'm open for criticism and scolding.

lilmatty5dimes

i had a deep blue 7.5g with a pair of clowns and six line wrasse. they did great and fish were happy. now i've got a 12g with pair clowns, bj cardinal.

I don't see a problem with keeping a pair of clowns in that size tank. I think you need to take into account length, width, and overall gallons. For example, a more active fish would not do as well in a column style tank compared to a longer tank even if they happen to be the same volume. In such a small tank with two clowns, the only thing I would worry about would be your filtration and as long as you have something that can handle that bioload then you're good to go. Hell, I have a pair of clowns in my 20 long and the tank looks pretty much empty.

Not a one size fits all...increased stocking can work with increased filtration.

I feel sorry when I see a lot of fish cramped in a small space though.

Some fish need swim room...so i think length is important.

Some need volume to support their nutrient needs (Mandarins need an adequate supply of pods).

I would love to have 2 clowns and the filtration will hold that no problem but I think that maxes me out for fish

All the girls I've ever met said it did.

Just couldn't help yourself, could ya.

I don't see a problem with keeping a pair of clowns in that size tank. I think you need to take into account length, width, and overall gallons. For example, a more active fish would not do as well in a column style tank compared to a longer tank even if they happen to be the same volume. In such a small tank with two clowns, the only thing I would worry about would be your filtration and as long as you have something that can handle that bioload then you're good to go. Hell, I have a pair of clowns in my 20 long and the tank looks pretty much empty.

This is good info. Interesting post topic as I've been doing some research as to what fish I can keep in my 12L.

I think one thing to consider is your long term plans. Clowns can grow very old and will get quite large. I'm sure a paie will be fine for some years, but over time I would say that you would probably have to find another solution.

I think one thing to consider is your long term plans. Clowns can grow very old and will get quite large. I'm sure a paie will be fine for some years, but over time I would say that you would probably have to find another solution.

A pair of clowns is fine until they get big. A 5" clown thats 3" wide would look silly in a tank under 30g.

An upgrade is down the line maybe in a year or 2. I would either upgrade or relocate them to a better/bigger home when the time was right

Some thoughts...

1) You can put any fish into any tank... If I wanted to I could put a 12" largemouth bass into my 10g.

2) Fish aren't "Happy or Sad" so if you or someone else refers to their fish as in "they are happy in my tank" it means that they aren't dead and as far as they can tell acting the way they did yesterday.

3) The effects of housing a fish in an inadequate environment become more pronounced the smaller the tank becomes (for example a species that needs sponges in it's diet are less likely to find enough in a smaller tank vs. a larger one).

4) The symptoms of an inadequate environment are not always readily apparent and usually only noticed over time and by very careful observation. Symptoms include decreased coloration, not eating enough or eating too much (eating too much can lead to impaction or bladder issues), deformed fins or body shape (over time), decreased life span, increased or decreased aggression, decreased resistance to disease and aggression, sudden death (fine one day, dead the next), or a "wasting away" type situation which could be over a few months or over several years. Note that this is just an example not a thorough list.

5) The effects aren't only felt by the fish. Overstocking a tank causes excess nutrients in the water, scarcity in specific resources (i.e. too many pod hunters and no pods for other animals like shrimp or predatory snails or corals).

6) Most of the information we have is based on people trying new things and thoroughly documenting the results while being aware beforehand of the possible consequences and having as good of a plan as possible on how to mitigate them. So for example if you hear that the minimum tank size for a sixline wrasse is 20g that's based on others keeping them in 20g tanks and not experiencing significant issues. Additionally some people have kept them in 10g tanks and found that they became overly aggressive thus supporting the recommendation that a sixline be kept in a 20g or larger. For beginning keepers or those with intermediate knowledge and experience I believe it's generally a safe bet to stick with the "recommended minimum tank size" because it helps prevent gross excess and teaches people to put the needs of the animals at least equal to the keepers wants. There will never be a clear cut 100% consensus on this issue.

7) Those tanks you see that take the recommendations and throw them out the door aren't designed to be set up for long-term. In other words someone wants a tank that generates a lot of buzz and youtube hits so they cram a bunch of fish and coral into a tiny tank. In reality though that tank is not set up for long - maybe a few months but not years and then the fish go back into a much larger tank. I think most people realize this and don't do it. Most average hobbyists don't have the resources to put these tanks together so I generally discourage people using these tanks as comparisons or models on how to set up their own tank. So don't just go google the smallest tank with a flame angel in it and use that as definitive proof that you can accomplish the same results unless that tank is very well established and you can follow it's progress over the long term and verify it's success (6 months isn't "success"). Likewise I don't think it's a good idea to set up your tank now planning to "upgrade" in a year or 2. An upgrade isn't always possible so either get the right tank now or expand your livestock when the upgrade happens because at least then you're not forced to upgrade.

8) Everything is subjective. There's too many variables for one to adequately cover every aspect so generalizations are made. Use common sense and handle risks appropriately. It's easier to start off slower and add later than to start off full throttle and not have a plan in place if something goes wrong.

Good luck.

Archived