Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Update on another note. So almost 2 months ago my mothers friends came across some eggs, and because they did not know what they were, wanted to smash them. Luckily my mother was with them and stopped them before doing harm to the eggs, she took pictures and sent them to me. I immediately new they were snake eggs. I drove 35 minutes out of my way, and took the eggs that the property owner did not want on their land. Noticed the sand paper like shell and knew they were black racer eggs. I setup a makeshift incubation area, keeping the temp at 80-82F and Humidty at 80-90% for 40 days. Not knowing how long has already gone by before the eggs were found, i expected them to hatch around mid August, well guess what? They are beginning to hatch today! I opened the container to two little nippy baby snakes. Cute little snots.

second time opening the container....

IMG_0905.jpg

One decided to explore the house while the other stayed for one more picture.

IMG_0906.jpg

4 hours later... 3 third one hatches! He was just as feisty as the first two, my Fiance was holding this one while I took pictures.

IMG_0910.jpg

:wub: Cute cute cute! Do you think they will all hatch?

• Like 1

That does not make up for spiders and such, Muraki!

What?! But look how cute they are.

SNAKES!

Thats great- love them!

I have the same thermometer/Hydrometer tool for our Tortoise Incubator :)

It is surprisingly within 2-3F of what it says. Actually reads slightly cooler then it is. But it got the job done! I had it laying around and figured I would use it to keep a closer eye on the condition of the eggs.

:wub: Cute cute cute! Do you think they will all hatch?

3 out of the 11 eggs have already! I got the eggs back in June. So I have high hopes within the next week the rest will. I am very excited. I will be releasing most if not all of them. Black racers are very difficult to keep as pets, they tend to remain feisty.

• Like 3

Ok, those little guys actually are pretty cute!!

Thank you! :happy:

Update.

4th one just made the cut in the shell, more on the way. They try so hard to bite, but mouths are just to small.

• Like 2

Love the tank, and the super sized sump is great. I used clear piping on mine and I don't have much problem with algae. With them being out of direct light, I think you'll be fine. Now that you have it all plumbed, Jehmco carries clear bulkheads and pic fittings. It took me forever to track them down, but the company was great about selling small quantities for what I needed

• Like 1

Love the tank, and the super sized sump is great. I used clear piping on mine and I don't have much problem with algae. With them being out of direct light, I think you'll be fine. Now that you have it all plumbed, Jehmco carries clear bulkheads and pic fittings. It took me forever to track them down, but the company was great about selling small quantities for what I needed

What do you think of the clear bulkheads? I would almost hate to undo my current bulkheads though, I really cranked some of those fittings together onto the bulkhead itself. I would have to replace the bulkhead and elbows.

Glad to hear that there are no troubles with Algae. I like the fact I can see into the plumbing, hope to keep it that way.

For the look that I wanted, the clear bulkheads were definitely worth it.

Most bulkheads don't need to be super torqued. Mine are finger tight(definitely right though) and my elbows are actually just press fit on. That way I can take the plumbing apart to move the tank without cutting sections out. Never had any leaks. If I was running pressurized water through, I would glue all the joints.

• Like 1

I had threaded bulkheads with Threaded elbows that are excrusatingly. My bulkheads against the glass are hand tight though. Do they sell clear elbos as well?

Aww, I love snakes. Awesome how you did all that to save them from death :)

Too bad there isn't a lot of snakes where I live, I see garter and water snake usually

• Like 1

Update on another note. So almost 2 months ago my mothers friends came across some eggs, and because they did not know what they were, wanted to smash them. Luckily my mother was with them and stopped them before doing harm to the eggs, she took pictures and sent them to me. I immediately new they were snake eggs. I drove 35 minutes out of my way, and took the eggs that the property owner did not want on their land. Noticed the sand paper like shell and knew they were black racer eggs. I setup a makeshift incubation area, keeping the temp at 80-82F and Humidty at 80-90% for 40 days. Not knowing how long has already gone by before the eggs were found, i expected them to hatch around mid August, well guess what? They are beginning to hatch today! I opened the container to two little nippy baby snakes. Cute little snots.

Hah jeez. What kind of friends does your mom have? Unless there is some sort of invasive species that lays eggs in the area? My first reaction, when I come across some eggs, is not to smash them.

Nice work handling that for so long! They are cute

OH and I love your tank setup

• Like 2

Hah jeez. What kind of friends does your mom have? Unless there is some sort of invasive species that lays eggs in the area? My first reaction, when I come across some eggs, is not to smash them.

Nice work handling that for so long! They are cute

OH and I love your tank setup

Thank you!

Sadly I come across many people that dislike snakes and other animals to the point the first reaction is to kill or get rid of them. Once they all hatch, I will probably go find somewhere decent to release them. Sadly less then 50% of them will live through there first year. That is life.

Thank you!

Sadly I come across many people that dislike snakes and other animals to the point the first reaction is to kill or get rid of them. Once they all hatch, I will probably go find somewhere decent to release them. Sadly less then 50% of them will live through there first year. That is life.

Yea crazy. Considering what those animals prey on it's amazing people would want to get rid of them!

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Thank you!

Yeah stinks :(

Heres the Red Foot Tortoise Hatchery and Feeding station!

6C362716-BF56-4A07-930F-95E2204279AC_zps

0596DACA-053B-4CFD-8741-7CFCDB93E01B_zps

• Like 3

Thank you!

unfortunate that is the case, when I take a walk by the Sandusky bay, where fishermen like to go, I see the poor water snakes that were pointlessly killed, sad sights.
HarryPotter

Love the tortoises, how long you been keeping them? I know tortoises have slow growth rates.

Takes like 4 years to grow from a 1" baby to a 12-15" adult.

We also have Sulcatas that are about 130lbs and can grow to be 300+. Kids can ride on them!

• Like 2

Takes like 4 years to grow from a 1" baby to a 12-15" adult.

We also have Sulcatas that are about 130lbs and can grow to be 300+. Kids can ride on them!

lol you never answered the question, how long have you been keeping tortoises?
HarryPotter

lol you never answered the question, how long have you been keeping tortoises?

Um... Let's say over 20 years? (Not me obviously, but my parents)

• Like 1

Yeah stinks :(

Heres the Red Foot Tortoise Hatchery and Feeding station!

6C362716-BF56-4A07-930F-95E2204279AC_zps

0596DACA-053B-4CFD-8741-7CFCDB93E01B_zps

I love Tortoise's, I don't have the space for them. Except I have an 8 year old Alligator Snapping Turtle isntead. He's a dick. : )

unfortunate that is the case, when I take a walk by the Sandusky bay, where fishermen like to go, I see the poor water snakes that were pointlessly killed, sad sights.

That is always sad to see. Specially when they literally attempt to get away from people. Even Cottenmouths scatter when people approach. Walked through a shallow stream by a fish farm for about .25 miles and counted over 20+ Cottonmouths, but the second they see me, they book it. Northern watersnakes and redbelly watersnakes are the same way. Why anyone would ever have a reason to kill water snakes blows my mind. If anything it means you have a healthy lake/stream.

• Like 1

I love Tortoise's, I don't have the space for them. Except I have an 8 year old Alligator Snapping Turtle isntead. He's a dick. : )

That is always sad to see. Specially when they literally attempt to get away from people. Even Cottenmouths scatter when people approach. Walked through a shallow stream by a fish farm for about .25 miles and counted over 20+ Cottonmouths, but the second they see me, they book it. Northern watersnakes and redbelly watersnakes are the same way. Why anyone would ever have a reason to kill water snakes blows my mind. If anything it means you have a healthy lake/stream.

how many reptiles and amphibians do you keep?

That's a lot of cottonmouths, must be a great supply of food for that.

Water snakes do have a serious dislike for handling though, even babies I have picked up have tried finger murdering lol.

I don't know if healthy is a word to describe Sandusky bay.

how many reptiles and amphibians do you keep?

That's a lot of cottonmouths, must be a great supply of food for that.

Water snakes do have a serious dislike for handling though, even babies I have picked up have tried finger murdering lol.

I don't know if healthy is a word to describe Sandusky bay.

I have 2 Dumeril Boas, 1 Alligator snapping turtle. The Black Racers I don't see as pets since I will be releasing them. They came from the wild, so they will stay in the wild. : )

From my experience in NC, the baby water snakes never bite, but the adults will immediatly when you go for them.

• Like 1

I have 2 Dumeril Boas, 1 Alligator snapping turtle. The Black Racers I don't see as pets since I will be releasing them. They came from the wild, so they will stay in the wild. : )

From my experience in NC, the baby water snakes never bite, but the adults will immediatly when you go for them.

I got 1 box turtle, 4 geckos ( 3 unidentified species to me, I'm pretty sure all are in genus hemidactylus, only sure of the one), 1 brown anole ( 2 if the red one is just a subspecies of the brown), 1 green anole, 1 american toad, 6 green tree frogs, and 3 dwarf African clawed frogs, all but the aquatic frogs were wild caught. the toad is the only wild caught not from florida, I ended up keeping him because he was seriously injured from dehydration when I got him, not to mention severely stunted, I have to feed it half killed crickets because it can't hunt right.
  • Like 1

I got 1 box turtle, 4 geckos ( 3 unidentified species to me, I'm pretty sure all are in genus hemidactylus, only sure of the one), 1 brown anole ( 2 if the red one is just a subspecies of the brown), 1 green anole, 1 american toad, 6 green tree frogs, and 3 dwarf African clawed frogs, all but the aquatic frogs were wild caught. the toad is the only wild caught not from florida, I ended up keeping him because he was seriously injured from dehydration when I got him, not to mention severely stunted, I have to feed it half killed crickets because it can't hunt right.

That is a good number of lizards and frogs. I used to have more when I was younger. But This day and age, I do not have the time to give them the care the require in those numbers. So I stuck with what I really wanted to keep. : ) You ever post up pictures of any of your animals?

• Like 1