inTank Media Baskets

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Marc.The.Shark

I felt like Christmas was coming early this year. So I had to go with red and green. :P

Seems to me everyone prefers Option 1. So I will stick with it. Today I will be begining to plumb to the tank and glue/bond the rock work together. Then wait about 2 days for everything to cure. I wish to have water in this tank by this coming weekend!

Can't wait to see how that pump works out for you vs. the drains. I'm about to pull the plug on a Jebao DCT6000 controllable, but kinda waiting to see what your drains will handle. I'm sure I'll have a lot more 90's & a SCWD which knocks me down considerably. I remember Scorched saying in his thread that he expected the drains to handle more flow.

Can't wait to see how that pump works out for you vs. the drains. I'm about to pull the plug on a Jebao DCT6000 controllable, but kinda waiting to see what your drains will handle. I'm sure I'll have a lot more 90's & a SCWD which knocks me down considerably. I remember Scorched saying in his thread that he expected the drains to handle more flow.

I expect them to be able to handle more then what I can put through the tank. But I will push the pump to it's limit to see what it can handle. I will certainly keep the thread updated. I should have water in the tank in the next 2-3 days (Once glue dries) Oh! And it was because of Scorched's tank that I went with larger bulk heads.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

I expect them to be able to handle more then what I can put through the tank. But I will push the pump to it's limit to see what it can handle. I will certainly keep the thread updated. I should have water in the tank in the next 2-3 days (Once glue dries) Oh! And it was because of Scorched's tank that I went with larger bulk heads.

Yeah, I'm staying with 1". Hopefully I can make that work without vortechs.

Yeah, I'm staying with 1". Hopefully I can make that work without vortechs.

2 1" drains pushed with 2 outputs creates plenty of flow that you don't need a powerhead in a small tank. The only thing it doesn't have is pulsing or a wide spread. That is something the SCWD will give you for sure. I almost put one on my tank but have heard too many reviews of them failing and needing to be taken apart/replaced far too often.

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

2 1" drains pushed with 2 outputs creates plenty of flow that you don't need a powerhead in a small tank. The only thing it doesn't have is pulsing or a wide spread. That is something the SCWD will give you for sure. I almost put one on my tank but have heard too many reviews of them failing and needing to be taken apart/replaced far too often.

Here's my plan anyway with 1/2" returns. Might put a box on the back with 1 full syphon & 1 emergency drain depending on how it goes. won't see it anyway as I'm putting my current rock tower right in the middle in front of the 2 drains.

Edit: I've been running my current SCWD for a year with no issues, cleaned it once. And it ran for prob a year and a half on my old tank before I took it down. Plus it was used when I got it. Cleaning took about 30 mins soaking in straight vinegar. I like them, but they reduce flow A LOT from your pump, prob 30-40%. I also have a new spare just in case, but never had to use it.

post-12858-0-81068800-1437092629.jpg

• Like 1

I am sure that 1" bulkheads would have been enough, but just in case I stepped it up. Worst case I just close off one of the drains, technically a single 1.5" bulkhead should be able to handle the flow. But I will see what happens. : ) Might make some interesting changies or even Mod the bulkhead some.

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, I'm running a singe 1.5" drain right now (Stockman Standpipe) with a Tunze pump rated @ 800gph with a lot of room left to spare on the drain, but again, with my SCWD, head height & 90's, I'm prob only getting about 300-400gph out of the returns, if that. It's good flow for my 8 gallon with no powerheads, but I'd like to have about double that in the new setup. We'll see, I'm committed to the two 1" drains now, so it's gonna work one way or the other, or I'll have a zero edge! hahaha. Waiting to see yours overflow first!! LOL

Yeah, I'm running a singe 1.5" drain right now (Stockman Standpipe) with a Tunze pump rated @ 800gph with a lot of room left to spare on the drain, but again, with my SCWD, head height & 90's, I'm prob only getting about 300-400gph out of the returns, if that. It's good flow for my 8 gallon with no powerheads, but I'd like to have about double that in the new setup. We'll see, I'm committed to the two 1" drains now, so it's gonna work one way or the other, or I'll have a zero edge! hahaha. Waiting to see yours overflow first!! LOL

It will take me over a day to mix salt and get the tank filled, but I hope to have it filled tomorrow!

• Like 1

Stupid question time, my gut tells me to continue my normal routine to mix salt in buckets, considering I can't mix that much salt all at once, I want to fill the tank up with fresh water first for a leak test anyway, what do you all think of mixing the Red Sea Pro salt inside the setup after the leak test?

Stupid question time, my gut tells me to continue my normal routine to mix salt in buckets, considering I can't mix that much salt all at once, I want to fill the tank up with fresh water first for a leak test anyway, what do you all think of mixing the Red Sea Pro salt inside the setup after the leak test?

That's fine for a first time fill just make sure to add salt slowly and follow the salt instructions closely rsp salt will cloud if not careful.

• Like 2

That's fine for a first time fill just make sure to add salt slowly and follow the salt instructions closely rsp salt will cloud if not careful.

I'll give it a shot today. I was debating on mixing separately like I normally do because it can get cloudy fairly easily. I skimmed through your 50G build, I know the pain of pulling a tank apart. I made my baffles out of a 40G breeder. : )

This is the progress that I have so far. Going to blast this post with pictures!

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Love this tank build, defo following.... You may have put it in a previous post but do you have 2 drains or is one a drain and the other return? And what are the other 2 things next to them? Power heads?

Love this tank build, defo following.... You may have put it in a previous post but do you have 2 drains or is one a drain and the other return? And what are the other 2 things next to them? Power heads?

2 drains and 2 returns.(1 of each on both sides) Valves on each drain to control flow if necessary. What you see sticking out are the spinners, they say they will work with 400GPH of flow through them, but I will test that out for myself.

• Like 1

2 drains and 2 returns.(1 of each on both sides) Valves on each drain to control flow if necessary. What you see sticking out are the spinners, they say they will work with 400GPH of flow through them, but I will test that out for myself.

And what do the spinners do? Help with flow? Sorry new to the hobbie and like to learn

finally! I've been looking for someone to build this tank. Thank you!

I was wondering, How did you decide to get a 50 for the sump? I was thinking about picking up the same tank and a 20L for the sump from the petco discount. Wasn't sure if the 20L will be to big or to small. This will be my first tank with a sump, since my first one is a AIO 12 gallon cube.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see updates

• Like 1

Your stand isnt big enough ;) JK. Great looking build, so far this is looking like one of the best 12 gallon long builds i have seen in a while! So lets get this thing filled in with some water and let the cycling begin!

• Like 1

And what do the spinners do? Help with flow? Sorry new to the hobbie and like to learn

Spinners help randomize the flow, that way the corals don't get blasted by direct current (400-500gph) 100% of the time.

finally! I've been looking for someone to build this tank. Thank you!

I was wondering, How did you decide to get a 50 for the sump? I was thinking about picking up the same tank and a 20L for the sump from the petco discount. Wasn't sure if the 20L will be to big or to small. This will be my first tank with a sump, since my first one is a AIO 12 gallon cube.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see updates

The standard is normally a 10-20G sump from what I see people use. I decided to have a 50 Gallon sump because I wanted a refugium that was the same water volume as my display. Doing the Math, 50 Gallon sump is what was required to still have space for the equipment. Also gave me plenty of wiggle room if the power went out to not have anything overflow out of the sump.

Your stand isnt big enough ;) JK. Great looking build, so far this is looking like one of the best 12 gallon long builds i have seen in a while! So lets get this thing filled in with some water and let the cycling begin!

Water coming tonight! But this is a 22 gallon long Mr. Aqua. :P

UPDATE!

I had a helper today!

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Still organizing wires, but so far it is looking good. Helps to have a board to hide them behind.

IMG_0897.jpg

• Like 6

well its the best 22 long build!! haha cute kitty :)

what is the benifit of having two over flows?

I will be adjusting one on the inside to not allow water to being to drain until it gets a little higher, That way if something clogs the main overflow for some dumb reason, I don't flood the display. Also, I plan to have 800gph running through the sump and zero power heads inside the display.

UPDATE:

Began to add RO/DI water to the tank, found a few leaks to take care off before I continue to add water. Will silicone the spots tonight and begin to add more water to the tank 24 hours after. I want to fill the tank sooner, but I figure I should at least allow the minimum cure time to go by without any silicone being submerged in the water.

(ASI Aquarium silicone)

• Like 2

Nothing worse then waiting for silicone to cure, decided to wait the full 48 hours, so I won't be leak testing the tank again until tomorrow night. I am way to impatient. :angry:

Attempting to avoid a full cycle, going to use 10-20lb's of live sand, along with added a few small pieces of rock with some softies from my Spec V that has been in the way + a small amount of the old sand from the spec V. I have plenty of Chaeto to seed the refugium plus some other macro to add to the display. Hoping this will allow for a mini cycle to come and go quickly. This worked for my Spec V, I never had a cycle because I used live sand and live rock from the very start. But I have 10lb's of dry rock this time, so we will see.

Spinners help randomize the flow, that way the corals don't get blasted by direct current (400-500gph) 100% of the time. The standard is normally a 10-20G sump from what I see people use. I decided to have a 50 Gallon sump because I wanted a refugium that was the same water volume as my display. Doing the Math, 50 Gallon sump is what was required to still have space for the equipment. Also gave me plenty of wiggle room if the power went out to not have anything overflow out of the sump. Water coming tonight! But this is a 22 gallon long Mr. Aqua. :P UPDATE!I had a helper today!IMG_0899.jpg IMG_0892.jpg IMG_0894.jpg IMG_0896.jpg Still organizing wires, but so far it is looking good. Helps to have a board to hide them behind.IMG_0897.jpg

This may sound dumb but wat will be powering them? The returning water?

This may sound dumb but wat will be powering them? The returning water?

Yep! That is exactly it, Basically the inside is a propeller with a twist to it, so the water flowing though it creates the spinning action. So my return pump flow rate determines the rate at which the spinners will spin. If I am incorrect, i am sure someone will correct me.

If you blow into them, they air flow will make them spin as well, just not as easily. Takes some force.

• Like 1