Top Shelf Aquatics

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Option 1.

IMO the small rocks in 2 & 3 will get lost/sink in the sand.

True, but I plan on having less then a half inch sand bed. : )

But then again, I too like that big arch in Option 1.

• Like 1

The arch is fun but the tank is so shallow that you are extremely limited on having any corals on top of it. I like the 2nd option the most as it has nooks and crannies that expose the sand in between. You could probably do a combo of 1 and 2 with the arch being lower/smaller.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Option two all the way. Arches are cool, but they are very hard to do and make them look natural (or should I say not artificial). Option two will also help to make the tank look larger and I think you'll appreciate all the open sand bed in time.

I like 2 as well, lots of empty space make the tank look bigger.

The arch is fun but the tank is so shallow that you are extremely limited on having any corals on top of it. I like the 2nd option the most as it has nooks and crannies that expose the sand in between. You could probably do a combo of 1 and 2 with the arch being lower/smaller.

I will attempt to make another scape. I will probably have one last Poll later today with the current winning scape and the new one with the comments given.

• Like 1

Option two all the way. Arches are cool, but they are very hard to do and make them look natural (or should I say not artificial). Option two will also help to make the tank look larger and I think you'll appreciate all the open sand bed in time.

Agreed, arches don't look natural at all lol. The open sandbed will also be a lot easier to keep clean.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Agreed, arches don't look natural at all lol.

The small arch in number two looks natural, but in general I agree with you. It can be really really tough to make it look right. In most cases, it takes a lot of coral to essentially hide the rock that makes to arch to keep it from looking off.

The small arch in number two looks natural, but in general I agree with you. It can be really really tough to make it look right. In most cases, it takes a lot of coral to essentially hide the rock that makes to arch to keep it from looking off.

True, I think that is closer (visually) to a small cave though which is why I liked it best, small like that looks pretty naturally, as opposed to the more obvious arch in #3 for example.

• Like 1

NEW POLL.

I took the current polling + Comments and attempted a new scape.

Option 1:

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Option 2 (New option, Ignore the top left rock in the corner and the small rock at the very top of the arch)

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

UPDATES:

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

I also had a visitor that night while scaping.

IMG_0869.jpg

• Like 5

I'll go with option 1, i like the variation in height and ratio of rocks.

Option 1 is excellent

How do you both feel about that cave/arch in option one being moved towards the center of the tank? There will be a lot of dead space/shade on the left side of it otherwise.

Option 1! It not only gives it a nice illusion of dept going from big to small but you also have negative space for the fish to swim giving it the appearance that the tank is also longer then it is! loving the location of the tank right under the stairs!

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Mock it up in the tank, will give you a better idea, but I'm with the Grouch, negative space will make it look longer

I think it looks nice the way it is, I've always like tanks with an open feel. Maybe what you could do is add a little more height to the rocks already there, or move them farther left and keep the middle section as the open part.

I like it. Plus that 2 tone sandbed is killer! :) lol

I felt like Christmas was coming early this year. So I had to go with red and green. :P

Seems to me everyone prefers Option 1. So I will stick with it. Today I will be begining to plumb to the tank and glue/bond the rock work together. Then wait about 2 days for everything to cure. I wish to have water in this tank by this coming weekend!

• Like 2