SaltCritters.com

Anyone have a Ricordia? Do they like to travel?

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

I want a zoannthid garden but keep being drawn to the multicolored Ricordia florida, I read somewhere that they are like anemomes and if unhappy float around and might end up in your intake. Also are they aggressive? I'm 100% wanting to make a zoa garden, but keep staring at those rics. 30 gallon btw. No corals yet. I have cuts on my arm so no corals yet.

HarryPotter

I want a zoannthid garden but keep being drawn to the multicolored Ricordia florida, I read somewhere that they are like anemomes and if unhappy float around and might end up in your intake. Also are they aggressive? I'm 100% wanting to make a zoa garden, but keep staring at those rics. 30 gallon btw. No corals yet. I have cuts on my arm so no corals yet.

I don't understand the "cuts on my arm".... But yeah

I have a few (5) Florida Rics and haven't had much trouble with them, just buy then already attached to something at the store and they'll grow like any shroom- splitting though.

Hammerstone

I'm a little paranoid about putting my arm with cat scratches in a tank with corals in it. That's the cuts on my arm thing. I could wear gloves but it wouldn't cover them up that high. As soon as they are gone I'm going coral picking!!! I'm short so when I'm working with my tanks sometimes im up to my armpits lol, literally.

Thank you for responding!!!

Ime ricordia will bleach and shrivel well before they float around. You will know if they aren't happy with their placement.

Yes, when you find a spot where they are happy they will stick like glue and never let go. If they aren't happy, you'll know it. If you leave them in a spot they don't like (usually because of too much flow) they will let go after a couple weeks and shape themselves so that they catch the currents and go surfing for a better home.

In theory they could get caught in your intake but it would have to be set up just right to make it happen. They are different from anenomes, which really float around. Rics are more like tumbleweeds, they kind of drift a little bit but stay mostly close to the bottom.

Never had an issue with my rics moving.

You can buy shoulder length gloves, I believe coralife makes them

I've had cuts on my hands/arms with no issues

My rics love to travel. I take them wherever I go. We are going to the mountains next weekend and they can't wait to tag along.

I would not worry about scratches and sticking them in your reef tank. Ive cut myself scraping coraline algae in my tank and i did not bleed until i finished and took my hand out. Tank is full of softies, lps, sps etc. I lived.

SquishyFishy

Couple of my rics (rainbow) have moved to get more into shady spots, but not far, maybe an inch. The lime and yellow ones have never budged, they love the light although they are at the sand bed and bottom of the rock. Love those rics....have to get another blue one soon.

As for size, they go from about a nickel size to larger than a silver dollar from night into the day light cycle...amazing! And they multiply well, started with 3 and now have 8 after a year.

Mushrooms...that's another story :( But even though they are picky about where they are, they are the most prolific breeders in the tank!

Most of my rics pretty much stay in place, and move slightly away from each other as they grow, at least in my tank. There are some rics that seem to never get settled though in my tank and they shrivel a little bit and let go of the rock. I've had varying success in getting them to reattach to rubble once that occurs.

my floridas have never. but my yuma is quite aggressive

and likes to stretch and move. but he is on a bitty

frag, and he has not moved off of that yet. he just stretches

around and i have to shift corals out of his way.

i have a foto of him in my lastest update in thread.

My ric has started moving over the past 3 weeks. It only happened after a 2nd appeared (out of nowhere) about 1" from the original location of the main one. The main one has since moved a good inch. Mind you, it was very happy where it was for nearly a year until the 2nd one appeared.

Come to think of it, maybe its a yuma and not a ric.

Ricordea's are beauties, I mistake them for Yuma's ...but they are on my wish list, From what I understand they don't like high flow.? and are not as hardy as some of the other mushroom corals.

What about light, I read they can tolerate medium to high lighting (I have a Kessil 160) should they be placed midway or at the bottom and do they need to be fed.

HarryPotter

Ricordea's are beauties, I mistake them for Yuma's ...but they are on my wish list, From what I understand they don't like high flow.? and are not as hardy as some of the other mushroom corals.

What about light, I read they can tolerate medium to high lighting (I have a Kessil 160) should they be placed midway or at the bottom and do they need to be fed.

Pretty sure start off with lower/medium light; I prefer the bottom of the tank. They don't need spot feeding, but some will give a tiny piece of mysis or shrimp every week.

My ric has started moving over the past 3 weeks. It only happened after a 2nd appeared (out of nowhere) about 1" from the original location of the main one. The main one has since moved a good inch. Mind you, it was very happy where it was for nearly a year until the 2nd one appeared.

Come to think of it, maybe its a yuma and not a ric.

both yumas and floridas are ricordeas.

from what i've learned, the floridas are easier, and tend

to stay put. yumas are very pretty, but can melt without

warning. but if they are happy, they can be more aggressive

and want to move, depending.

at least, that's what my monster yuma is doing. :)

both yumas and floridas are ricordeas.

from what i've learned, the floridas are easier, and tend

to stay put. yumas are very pretty, but can melt without

warning. but if they are happy, they can be more aggressive

and want to move, depending.

at least, that's what my monster yuma is doing. :)

Okay, Yumas and floridas are both ricordeas, Thanks ! :rolleyes: it seems that yumas are more sensitive to changes. From what I learned Yumas are from the Pacific and floridas are from the carribean. Here is a link on Youtube about the differences and care of both types.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ug9aQFkYBo

Archived