Pod Your Reef

Battery Backup For Days

NYfishies

We just bought a generator yesterday because of Joaquin :wacko: so I'm curious as well about what you ended up doing, NYFishies. We are able to run the generator outside and run power cords in so that works for us.

I've never had to endure a hurricane, or earthquake, or tornado. As such I have no advice to offer you guys, only well wishes.

Batten down the hatches, stay safe and good luck with your aquariums. We'll catch you when storm settles.

-pinner

Hey Guys,

We have a UPS that a friend is lending us. We also have about 50 DD batteries and 3 air pumps. Plenty of candles to heat water in case we lose gas to the stove. Making water today and storing several extra buckets.

Fingers crossed!

Get a DC to AC inverter cheap and two marine batteries deep cycle not starting batteries they will work but not as long as the deep cycle this is what I did works great!

Ran pumps heater and LEDs for a day on 12 volts!

To be safe indoors, it's better to use sealed deep cycle batteries so no gasses escape (the majority available will be sealed, but worth being aware). You want to make sure it's deep cycle so the battery doesn't get damaged by running down (general purpose like in your car is better for just giving a jolt of energy and then recharging immediately, but would be damaged by fully draining and then recharging).

Also, if you can run anything off the DC12V directly instead of using an inverter to change to A/C will be more efficient.

Yes totally safe

To be safe indoors, it's better to use sealed deep cycle batteries so no gasses escape (the majority available will be sealed, but worth being aware). You want to make sure it's deep cycle so the battery doesn't get damaged by running down (general purpose like in your car is better for just giving a jolt of energy and then recharging immediately, but would be damaged by fully draining and then recharging).

Also, if you can run anything off the DC12V directly instead of using an inverter to change to A/C will be more efficient.

Rough estimate of cost for a setup like this to run 2-3 days 2 small tanks total volume 60 gallons? It would really only need to run the heater and maybe a wavemaker now and then. MY battery airpump will provide the oxygen.

Rough estimate of cost for a setup like this to run 2-3 days 2 small tanks total volume 60 gallons? It would really only need to run the heater and maybe a wavemaker now and then. MY battery airpump will provide the oxygen.

I have a 1000W inverter and it cost $70-80 on amazon. It's a Bestek. For heat you can also fill 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs with water and add sodium chloride salt melt (make sure the lid is on tight), submerge the jug and that will add heat also. Corals and fish can do fine with temps down in the high 60s indefinitely. I have a seahorse tank that my reef shared a sump with and my clam, LPS and a few SPS were fine. Maybe acros would not like it but most corals are ok. That is my disaster tank protection plan. Like you I have battery back up air pumps. I figure water changes can deal with filtration.

I have a 1000W inverter and it cost $70-80 on amazon. It's a Bestek. For heat you can also fill 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs with water and add sodium chloride salt melt (make sure the lid is on tight), submerge the jug and that will add heat also. Corals and fish can do fine with temps down in the high 60s indefinitely. I have a seahorse tank that my reef shared a sump with and my clam, LPS and a few SPS were fine. Maybe acros would not like it but most corals are ok. That is my disaster tank protection plan. Like you I have battery back up air pumps. I figure water changes can deal with filtration.

Thanks for the great idea on the sodium chloride!

I see you are in the Burgh. I was born and raised there. Tough week of sports for us yinzers!

I appreciate all of the good info everyone is providing. I hope this thread helps others!

I see you are in the Burgh. I was born and raised there. Tough week of sports for us yinzers!

I appreciate all of the good info everyone is providing. I hope this thread helps others!

Ha ha, yes a tough week indeed. It's not often that the Steelers, Pirates and Pens all let us down.

How will Sodium Chloride (salt) warm water?

Well, it's used to melt ice because of the heat it generates. I saw a demonstration on a BRS video and thought it was an ingenius way to warm a tank as it does not cost much.

Is this safe for an apt in NYC?

There is nothing safe about having giant batteries sitting around in an apartment. They leak. They explode. Batteries are not predictable. Especially when you need to keep a trickle charge on the batteries.

Ha ha, yes a tough week indeed. It's not often that the Steelers, Pirates and Pens all let us down.

Ugh I'm still hurting over the Pens last night. The Pirates didn't surprise me much. I thought they would have put up more of a fight but didn't have much hope.

There is nothing safe about having giant batteries sitting around in an apartment. They leak. They explode. Batteries are not predictable. Especially when you need to keep a trickle charge on the batteries.

Ugh I'm still hurting over the Pens last night. The Pirates didn't surprise me much. I thought they would have put up more of a fight but didn't have much hope.

I am more of a Penguin fan than I am Pirate or Steelers so that made me sad too.

Salt melts ice by lowering the freezing point of water, not by generating heat, so it would have no impact on the temperature of the aquarium...

However, I think mixing kalkwasser is exothermic and will release heat, so maybe that's what they were doing to warm the water.

The buccos just got shut down. 162 games to be decided by 1 game (and having the 2nd best record in the game).. UGFHHHH After 30 years of losing though I cannot call myself a big fan.

I love the Pens and Steelers. Those losses hurt big time.

Salt melts ice by lowering the freezing point of water, not by generating heat, so it would have no impact on the temperature of the aquarium...

However, I think mixing kalkwasser is exothermic and will release heat, so maybe that's what they were doing to warm the water.

I am not sure of the science of it but I am sure that it was ice melt for sidewalks. You can probably youtube it.

Archived