Top Shelf Aquatics

Battery Backup For Days

NYfishies

Hi all,

So I have purchased about 60 D batteries and 3 of the battery operated pumps in case another hurricane hits NYC. My concern is flow and temperature. I lost power for a week when Sandy hit. I did not have any tanks at that time.

I am wondering if any of you use the Portable Chargers like this one:

http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/uninterrupted-power/powersource-1800.aspx

There is a device which allows you to charge the Duracell via solar:

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark-30-watt-Solar-powered-Battery-Powerpack/dp/B00BN2T334/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HJJZDPNYKCPKGTAQYP0

Does anybody have experience with this type of setup? We live in an apartment and no way for a real generator. Our tanks are worth wayyyyyy too much to even begin to consider losing due to power outage.

Before I spend the money on these I would love to hear some personal experience from you guys!

charnelhouse

No personal experience, but I do work for an electrical contractor. 30W of solar charging is very little and it will be virtually useless under storm conditions if the sun is not shining bright.

And looking at the tech specs for the Duracell 1800, the "Cordless Phone + 13” TV + Clock Radio + Table Lamp" option is about the closest to what running a tank would be. So you get 4 hours out of it. Approximately.

What is the wattage on the battery operated pumps?

You can get the vortech battery backups. We have enough juice for 36 hours at 20% power. There is also the option of using a car battery as a power source. Your best bet for hurricanes though is a home generator.

No personal experience, but I do work for an electrical contractor. 30W of solar charging is very little and it will be virtually useless under storm conditions if the sun is not shining bright.

And looking at the tech specs for the Duracell 1800, the "Cordless Phone + 13” TV + Clock Radio + Table Lamp" option is about the closest to what running a tank would be. So you get 4 hours out of it. Approximately.

What is the wattage on the battery operated pumps?

Is this one any better?

http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/power-packs/powerpack-600.aspx

I have 3 of these:

http://www.aquacave.com/pennplax-silent-air-battery-back-up-system.html

You can get the vortech battery backups. We have enough juice for 36 hours at 20% power. There is also the option of using a car battery as a power source. Your best bet for hurricanes though is a home generator.

Would that work only for VorTech powerheads (which I have on 1 of my tanks) or does it have an AC outlet?

Generator that burns fossil fuels.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/stories/1-How-to-Keep-Your-Cool-After-a-Hurricane.html

The standby generator is what my home had in florida. If your tanks are really worth that much, a generator is the best way to go in hurricane survival.

Guys, keep in mind I mentioned that I live in an Apt in NYC. I have no outdoor space for a generator or else I would already own 1.

3 things to keep in mind - oxygen, heat, light.

During Sandy, I taped heat packs to the tank. Covered the sides with styrofoam.

I also took tank water, heated it on my gas stove and poured in a cup at a time. Digital thermometer helped keep track of the temperature.

The best suggestion I received was to take tank water in a gallon jug (fill 1/4 or 1/2 way. Shake it like it's going out of style and pour the oxygenated water back in. I did that a few times every hour whenever I could.

The D battery pumps should be used 1 at a time, to keep them prolonged. The battery back up for MP10s , run only one on it, in case you have more than one powerhead.

Also be prepared to save the Display, not the sump. You could move your frags into the one tank display and maintain that instead of the frag tank and the DT on that system. HTH.

I have a vortech battery back up for sale. BTW.

I lost a cleaner shrimp and my pocillopora. Everything else survived. 3 days power out.

I always wondered how useful some of the old undergravel filter lift tubes would be for power outages. The ones with the carbon at the top. Battery pump to a air stone and up the tube. It would create some circulating flow along with some carbon cleaning.

charnelhouse

The 1300 is a smaller unit than the 1800.

Now I'm confused. Are you trying to power these off the battery back up?
Also, there is no reason you can't run a portable generator inside of an apartment during an emergency. Just do it in a ventilated room.

why not set up a dry cell marine battery and a power inverter? they're perfect setups for when you can't run a generator.

get the biggest battery you can afford with the highest CCA rating and a 400w power inverter should be enough to run two pumps.

* do not use automotive batteries *

chicagoreef

There is a doable DIY hack to power the MP10's using beklin resiidential gateway batteries. I have zero "skillz" and was able to hobble together the batteries and the required cables.

The 1300 is a smaller unit than the 1800.

Now I'm confused. Are you trying to power these off the battery back up?
Also, there is no reason you can't run a portable generator inside of an apartment during an emergency. Just do it in a ventilated room.

I would run those pumps on the D batteries I have. I literally bought like 50 D batteries exclusively for the pumps.

Do you have any suggestions for a portable generator. Gas powered?? I suppose if it was right by the window that could work, but we just do not have much space in our 1 bedroom. :mellow:

why not set up a dry cell marine battery and a power inverter? they're perfect setups for when you can't run a generator.

get the biggest battery you can afford with the highest CCA rating and a 400w power inverter should be enough to run two pumps.

* do not use automotive batteries *

I have read into this and could never seem to connect the dots as to how it works. Any suggestion on what battery to buy?

I also took tank water, heated it on my gas stove and poured in a cup at a time. Digital thermometer helped keep track of the temperature.

The best suggestion I received was to take tank water in a gallon jug (fill 1/4 or 1/2 way. Shake it like it's going out of style and pour the oxygenated water back in. I did that a few times every hour whenever I could.

The D battery pumps should be used 1 at a time, to keep them prolonged. The battery back up for MP10s , run only one on it, in case you have more than one powerhead.

Also be prepared to save the Display, not the sump. You could move your frags into the one tank display and maintain that instead of the frag tank and the DT on that system. HTH.

I lost a cleaner shrimp and my pocillopora. Everything else survived. 3 days power out.

Some good ideas! I like the shaking of the water. I also planned to heat my tank water on our gas stove.

BTW thank you all very much for such constructive feedback!

charnelhouse

Any decent model gen in the 3500W range will be more than sufficient and leave you a little extra power for other stuff as well. DeWalt, Generac, Craftsman, Honda all offer good portables.

The easiest way to do it is have everything running off a power strip of some sort (plugged into a GFCI) so it's all on one plug. A surge protector is also a good idea. Then if you lose power you unplug that and plug it into the gen via a GFCI adapter and the shortest extension cord you can use. You can put the gen on a (sturdy) table and direct the exhaust out the window for improved ventilation.

Do you have any suggestions for a portable generator. Gas powered?? I suppose if it was right by the window that could work, but we just do not have much space in our 1 bedroom. :mellow:

That is probably illegal in your area to run one inside. Also against your apartment rules and VERY dangerous.

The Belkin battery backup thing might work for some of your needs. Google search it. The thread was on Reef Central. I have it set up to run my Apex main unit and an MP10.

Any decent model gen in the 3500W range will be more than sufficient and leave you a little extra power for other stuff as well. DeWalt, Generac, Craftsman, Honda all offer good portables.

The easiest way to do it is have everything running off a power strip of some sort (plugged into a GFCI) so it's all on one plug. A surge protector is also a good idea. Then if you lose power you unplug that and plug it into the gen via a GFCI adapter and the shortest extension cord you can use. You can put the gen on a (sturdy) table and direct the exhaust out the window for improved ventilation.

TERRIBLE advice. This is how people die during storms and power outages. Running heater inside that wipe out all oxygen or generators that poison them.

charnelhouse

That is probably illegal in your area to run one inside. Also against your apartment rules and VERY dangerous.

The Belkin battery backup thing might work for some of your needs. Google search it. The thread was on Reef Central. I have it set up to run my Apex main unit and an MP10.

TERRIBLE advice. This is how people die during storms and power outages. Running heater inside that wipe out all oxygen or generators that poison them.

Hence the emphasis on VENTILATION you maroon.

Recommendations from various government agencies are the result of using portables with your windows closed. Vent it to the outside and you're fine. You just have to have half a brain about it.

Actually, Braaap is right. Bad idea if you don't know what you are doing. I've been in construction all of my adult life, so know the risks and would not be afraid to do this myself. That doesn't mean someone who isn't familiar with running gas engines in confined spaces should do it also.

My building will not allow a gas powered generator in my apt. That is not an option. I wasn't sure if there was something else he was referring to.

I need a solution to run the tanks for several days. UPS won't cut it. I was really hopefully about the solar option...

In addition to running a generator indoors and carbon monoxide poisoning, by NY fire code, it is illegal to store more than 1 gallon of fuel in a residence without a permit. In addition to that, some proprietary leases will further limit storage of flammable liquids and gasses. From the Hurricane Sandy experience, getting and keeping enough fuel to run a generator long-term would be a problem even if you decided to ignore that limitation.

If you're an apartment dweller your options are limited. If you do have a car, one of those automotive power pods (battery + low capacity inverter & jump-start capability) would be an option for running a heater/circulation pump to keep things warm & even charging your phones. Get one that can be quick-charged directly off the car via the jump start terminals as opposed to the nigh-useless extension cord method (otherwise will take 10-16 hours to charge, assuming you HAD 120V power available :rolleyes:)

Metrocat's suggestion of the styrofoam "box" around your tank is a good one - that stuff is cheap and keeps in heat like nobody's business.

Last summer I kept my tank alive though a 24 hour power outage using just low tech methods: A battery pump for aeration (in past have used a siphon drip from a 1 gallon pitcher to decent results) & small bag of ice + stirring rod whenever the mercury thermometer started to go above 84/85F, but in that case keeping tank cooler was more the concern (had a much of bagged ice in the garage chest freezer).

This winter I laid in an 18ah power pod that never saw light of day (but did come in handy during our last icestorm to start my car, of all things. ;)

Thanks everybody for the great input. Very helpful across the board!

I think our air pumps using D batteries will last the longest to provide oxygen to the tank.

We will utilize ice and buy a few ice packs that are always frozen in the freezer. If and when needed those will get tossed into a ziplock bag and used to cool the tank.

We will hopefully not lose gas to our stove in case we need to heat the tank. I am not as concerned about this as the only time I would lose power in my building for an extended time is during a hurricane which is typical to warmer outdoor weather. Losing power due to snow, wind or lightning is not an issue in Manhattan due to underground power lines. We also live in a newer building. Just in the hurricane zone.. If for whatever reason it is cold outside and we lose power and gas we will use the many blankets we have to cover the tank. I am sure we can loop a few belts together and wrap it up good. :D

Light will be available from the many windows in our apartment so the corals will get a good bit of natural light.

Flow using the bucket method and also a turkey baster.

I think we will buy the Vortech backup once we upgrade our Jebao in our Fusion40 to a QD MP10. Then, alternate the backup between the 2 tanks.

I hope this thread was as helpful to all as it was to me.

We will

I built a diy vortech battery backup for around $50.

If you get a bigger battery you can increase the running time even more.

It was very easy just need a few items.

I built a diy vortech battery backup for around $50.

If you get a bigger battery you can increase the running time even more.

It was very easy just need a few items.

What did you do/use? Would love to know! Thanks.

If you have a Jebao DC pump or wavemaker, you can get any battery backup with 12v output that can power it, so you may not need to upgrade it to an MP10 in order to have backup for the Fusion 40. If the battery backup has two 12v outputs, you can power both the Ecotech and the Jebao at the same time. If you use a Jebao DC or DCT return pumps, then you can power those as well.

Jebao's unit via fishstreet:

http://www.fish-street.com/coralbox_powercell_for_jebao_battery_pump__dc_pump

Jebao's battery backup is a sealed AGM deep cycle battery, but it's only 3.6 amp hours, whereas the Ecotech battery backup is 18 amp hours for only 50% more. Mainly just showing it as an example that you can really use any 12v output battery, and the cabling to hook up your Jebao to a battery backup.

I have the following LiPo battery that I use to recharge laptops when I travel. It can also power either an Ecotech Vortech pump or Jebao wavemaker/ DC return pump in a jam via the DC output:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN0KBXU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AVWEWK27WU24S

Though it is rated for 32 amp hours, but you won't realistically get more than about 25 amp hours out of it.

Qi Infinity has a 60 amp hour power bank and a 52.8 amp hour battery that would work, but again figure on real world performance of being able to use only 70 to 75% the rated power specs.

http://www.amazon.com/Qi-infinity-Powerhouse-Aluminum-Powerbook-Elifebook/dp/B00YSTVSPU/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1436838205&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+infinity+powerplant

I thought about getting them but since they are too large for FAA regulations to fly with them, I haven't justified it, so I can't speak to their performance. I'd probably get another 32 amp hour battery pack instead and then I'd be able to recharge one while using the other.

Note in all of the LiPo batteries I mentioned, there is only one DC output on the pack, so you probably would dedicate one bank to one pump, so you would need more then one powerbank per tank at least.

I want to stock up on the heat packs you were talking about. Do you remember the brand or any other info about them?

I have to say, all the advice here is great, but I rely on a Vortech battery backup or two and battery powered air pump, so have about 3 days of power for the vortech.

I'm sure I could fix something up myself, but being from the UK originally running 240volts and different building codes in just about everything, I would probably set fire to the house at least once trying. Buying the Vortech battery backups was easier and safer.

BTW, is every state like Texas, where there is a building code for this, a building code for that, but no building code apparently for building a house on ground that will move up and down half a foot every year?? :huh:

BTW, is every state like Texas, where there is a building code for this, a building code for that, but no building code apparently for building a house on ground that will move up and down half a foot every year?? :huh:

Pretty much. Better utilize the exact stud spacing or else! hahaha

Archived