Top Shelf Aquatics

Encouraging Anemone-Clownfish Relationship

HarryPotter

A good size acrylic tube (close to or larger then the diameter of the anemone.) Place the tube over the anemone and drop the clownfish down the tube.

I saw it on Melev's reef. Great idea I think but never tried it yet. The downside is if your clownfish are in the tank, you have to stress them out by catching them...

I would probably give it 2-3 months before attempting anything.

HarryPotter

A good size acrylic tube (close to or larger then the diameter of the anemone.) Place the tube over the anemone and drop the clownfish down the tube.

I saw it on Melev's reef. Great idea I think but never tried it yet. The downside is if your clownfish are in the tank, you have to stress them out by catching them...

I would probably give it 2-3 months before attempting anything.

Yeah it's only two months in, so it'll need some more time. I see one of the clownfish being hosted occasionally when I'm not in the room

Yeah it's only two months in, so it'll need some more time. I see one of the clownfish being hosted occasionally when I'm not in the room

Yeah if you have one already hosting, even occasionally... I wouldn't do a thing. If they aren't mated pair, then the one that is hosting my keep the other one from hosting it. Or vice versa, if they are a mated pair, its probably just time at this point before one copies the other.

HarryPotter

Yeah if you have one already hosting, even occasionally... I wouldn't do a thing. If they aren't mated pair, then the one that is hosting my keep the other one from hosting it. Or vice versa, if they are a mated pair, its probably just time at this point before one copies the other.

Bought them as babies and now there is a clear size difference and some mating behavior (small make upside down under female, "dancing")

When I tore my tank down I put my clownfish in a container with 4 anemones and it wouldn't touch them. I'd just leave them be, no point stressing them out over it - if they want to do it they will.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea Mr. Patrick!

I'll just need to figure out how to make sure the clowns don't get stung to death (it takes time to build up their membranes and immunity to anemone stings) and to place the net without breaking too many corals

And why worry about this if you're worried about breaking corals and such? Just let it happen.

I know this has been asked millions of times, but how have you had success with the Anemone/Clownfish relationship?

I have a beautiful Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and a pair of True Percula clownfish, and of course, like any reefer, I want the Anemone to host them.

Ive heard of many methods- from scaring the fish frequently by tapping the glass to feeding Mysis exclusively to the BTA to draw the clowns in. Other people are "Positive" that taping a picture of a hosting anemone will convince the clowns to accept it, among other methods.

How did YOU assist in commencing the Anemone-Clownfish relationship?

Just let it happen. It took a couple months but one of our stubby clowns finally found the rose bta.

On the other hand I have a snowflake and a rose bta in a smaller tank and it gets weird. The clown will perch himself in between two rocks, put his fins out so he doesn't move, and put his head ON THE UNDER SIDE OF THE NEM. He wants nothing to do with the top of the nem, like I said, WEIRD.

HarryPotter

Just let it happen. It took a couple months but one of our stubby clowns finally found the rose bta.

On the other hand I have a snowflake and a rose bta in a smaller tank and it gets weird. The clown will perch himself in between two rocks, put his fins out so he doesn't move, and put his head ON THE UNDER SIDE OF THE NEM. He wants nothing to do with the top of the nem, like I said, WEIRD.

99FB311D-A9C7-46A5-874F-CDB2AE11ADAA_zps

• 4 years later...