SaltCritters.com

Encouraging Anemone-Clownfish Relationship

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

I know this has been asked millions of times, but how have you had success with the Anemone/Clownfish relationship?

I have a beautiful Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and a pair of True Percula clownfish, and of course, like any reefer, I want the Anemone to host them.

Ive heard of many methods- from scaring the fish frequently by tapping the glass to feeding Mysis exclusively to the BTA to draw the clowns in. Other people are "Positive" that taping a picture of a hosting anemone will convince the clowns to accept it, among other methods.

How did YOU assist in commencing the Anemone-Clownfish relationship?

Scare the fish by frequently tapping the glass?! That's got to be THE most ridiculous and cruel thing I've read on this forum so far!!! Keeping a tang in a small tank is one thing, but constantly scaring a fish in a tank on purpose for your own personal benefit truly takes the cake...

If it happens, it happens.

Can happen overnight, can happen in a few weeks or months, or it might never happen at all. I had a pair of clowns for years, they lived in 2 large anemones in my 6ft tank. At some point I neglected my tank and the anemone's died. Later on I had a BTA in the tank and the clowns never ever took to it.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Scare the fish by frequently tapping the glass?! That's got to be THE most ridiculous and cruel thing I've read on this forum so far!!! Keeping a tang in a small tank is one thing, but constantly scaring a fish in a tank on purpose for your own personal benefit truly takes the cake...

If it happens, it happens.

Can happen overnight, can happen in a few weeks or months, or it might never happen at all. I had a pair of clowns for years, they lived in 2 large anemones in my 6ft tank. At some point I neglected my tank and the anemone's died. Later on I had a BTA in the tank and the clowns never ever took to it.

Yeah on ReefCentral there was a whole thread on purposely scaring the clowns every day to make them flee to the BTA! Terrible!!!!

I think the Mysis-in-the-BTA might be a possible way to encourage it though; it makes sense that the clowns would try to steal the food and maybe figure out "Hey Jeff- its nice in here! Check out this flatscreen TV!"

HarryPotter

I say just let it happen. I don't think forcing the relationship is worth it.

I never planned on "Forcing", ex. putting them in a 2g bucket together or scaring the fish. Just "Encouraging"- like feeding the Anemone more often. The Percs are super naughty and try to steal food, so maybe they'll like it.

Some clowns just won't host a nem. I have 16-17 bubble tips and one clown just hosts a meat coral with no interest in the bubble tips.

What type of clown?

Clowns are weird....I tried for many months to get my clown pair to host..After I stopped trying they took a liking to my elegance! In my 10g I added a clown and the same day he went straight for the nem...weird shizzz mang.

HarryPotter

Clowns are weird....I tried for many months to get my clown pair to host..After I stopped trying they took a liking to my elegance! In my 10g I added a clown and the same day he went straight for the nem...weird shizzz mang.

Yeah IK... In my NanoCube (Take one) they hosted instantly!

IMG_8444_zpsxyn0koev.jpg

I never planned on "Forcing", ex. putting them in a 2g bucket together or scaring the fish. Just "Encouraging"- like feeding the Anemone more often. The Percs are super naughty and try to steal food, so maybe they'll like it.

What type of clown?

I have one Perc that lives in the nems and won't move but 3 inches from them. Then I have another platinum that has no interest in them what so ever I have had it for over a year. For some reason it loves my red meat coral.
  • Like 3

I have a single female gladiator occellaris that LOVES her BTAs, I have 2 RBTAs in the tank right now and she is in them almost 24/7. I didn't do anything to make it happen, she just found them after about 3 weeks of them being in with her and decided she wanted to cuddle.

TLDR: just add them and don't do anything.

HarryPotter

I have a single female gladiator occellaris that LOVES her BTAs, I have 2 RBTAs in the tank right now and she is in them almost 24/7. I didn't do anything to make it happen, she just found them after about 3 weeks of them being in with her and decided she wanted to cuddle.

TLDR: just add them and don't do anything.

"Add them"? The Percs have been in there for a few weeks now, and the Anemone for three :)

"Add them"? The Percs have been in there for a few weeks now, and the Anemone for three :)

Woops, sorry was thinking in terms of my situation, clown in tank(s) for a year never seeing a nem, and then adding anemones for her.

• 4 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Ha mine would never host anything but the intake vents until my leather got so big that they are now exclusively an item!.... It's their umbrella! :rolleyes: I've seen them IN the leather a couple times, but mostly just stay under it. They only leave it to eat and investigate things.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Ha mine would never host anything but the intake vents until my leather got so big that they are now exclusively an item!.... It's their umbrella! :rolleyes: I've seen them IN the leather a couple times, but mostly just stay under it. They only leave it to eat and investigate things.

Cool! My clowns just love the Vortech and ignore my gorgeous anemone!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Some say the colander method works. /shrug

I thought that was a spice lol and had to google it!

Shes correct,as will a breeder net.

Interesting. However the Anemone is ON the rocks and can never be removed lol- its in a "too" perfect spot!

HarryPotter

Why not put the breeder net over the nem with clowns in net? Weight the net on top.

Mine took to any nem I've had ,so I've never had this issue

Not a bad idea Mr. Patrick!

I'll just need to figure out how to make sure the clowns don't get stung to death (it takes time to build up their membranes and immunity to anemone stings) and to place the net without breaking too many corals