Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY Tank stand build, durability question

Gooburz

So Within the next couple of years I'll be upgrading to the Deep Blue 80 Breeder/Frag tank. For now I would like to upgrade my tank stand that will be for the 80 gallon tank.

Looking at a simple build of doubled up 2x4's for legs, box top/bottom and for the top I'll be using 4 cross beams of 2x4's for support and I will top it off with a 1/2 inch plywood. Do you guys see any issues with that stand being able to hold a 40 breeder? The weight will all be in the middle. The stand dimensions will be 48x24 for the footprint of the 80 gallon.

I don't think it would be a issue supporting the 40 breeder but I could be wrong which is why I'm asking here.

Cencalfishguy56

So Within the next couple of years I'll be upgrading to the Deep Blue 80 Breeder/Frag tank. For now I would like to upgrade my tank stand that will be for the 80 gallon tank.

Looking at a simple build of doubled up 2x4's for legs, box top/bottom and for the top I'll be using 4 cross beams of 2x4's for support and I will top it off with a 1/2 inch plywood. Do you guys see any issues with that stand being able to hold a 40 breeder? The weight will all be in the middle. The stand dimensions will be 48x24 for the footprint of the 80 gallon.

I don't think it would be a issue supporting the 40 breeder but I could be wrong which is why I'm asking here.

Hell no, sounds solid as a rock to me, what kind of plywood are you using?

Hell no, sounds solid as a rock to me, what kind of plywood are you using?

I will just be using pine plywood, I don't bother with the hard woods because they cost and arm and a leg and 1/2 pine will be fine once I sand the ever liviging sh*t out of it hahaha. I figured it would be good enough but wanted to make sure.

I'd probably use 3/4" plywood. Here's a good template for a 2 x 4 stand: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

This is essentially what I built for my 100 gallon (4' x 2') with 40 breeder sump.

stand100.gif

And Seabass with the picture! Sadly Reefcentral will NOT load on my wonderful ships internet. But that Pic you are showing is almost exactly what I did for my 40 breeder build and what I'm looking to do with the 80 breeder/### stand. I do like your suggestion for the 3/4 inch plywood which I'll totally look in to.

So it is fine without a center brace? I'm totally for NOT having a center brace but wanted to make sure. I don't use nails with my stands either, I always use a larger grade screw to really secure it.

If you are talking about a vertical support to help support to help support the middle of the horizontal upper rails, then yeah, it's not needed (a 2x4 is strong enough for up to a 48" span). You would use a 2x6 for spans up to 72". A center horizontal cross brace between the horizontal upper rails is used to help prevent twisting of the rails.

StandTemplate.jpg

Yes, screws versus nails. I used a Kreg jig (which I find handy for this type of construction), but that's not needed.

Thanks Seabass that helps out a lot. I tend to go a little overboard and will be using 3-4 center braces up top and 2 on the bottom. Now I'm just debating on the sump for the 40 breeder, do I wana use a 20L or go with another 40 breeder and add even more volume and put a lot of Chaeto and some live rock. I'll be doing it without baffles and will just use a large plastic milk crate to put the live rock and chaeto in.

Kinda leaning towards the 40 breeder because I'll really be able to take advantage of a larger volume of water and a massive chaeto growth to really help with filtration.

I'd go with the larger sump. Here's my 40B sump with a single baffle (to maintain the water level for my skimmer).

042115a.jpg

Yeah, my skimmer is a bit oversized; but like you said, it's nice to have the room for better/more filtration (and back flow from the display). Even the return pump will take up a lot of space.

Cencalfishguy56

I will just be using pine plywood, I don't bother with the hard woods because they cost and arm and a leg and 1/2 pine will be fine once I sand the ever liviging sh*t out of it hahaha. I figured it would be good enough but wanted to make sure.

That's what I used, it will work

And Yeaa I've been sanding the shit out of mine haha

I'd go with the larger sump. Here's my 40B sump with a single baffle (to maintain the water level for my skimmer).

042115a.jpg

Yeah, my skimmer is a bit oversized; but like you said, it's nice to have the room for better/more filtration (and back flow from the display). Even the return pump will take up a lot of space.

Yeah I won't be getting that large of a skimmer, Looking at the Bubble Mag Curve 5, kinda set on that one. I guess a single baffle isn't a bad idea for the return pump area. I'd just like to have a nice size set up for Chaeto and a little live rock. I'll prolly go a little bit deeper with the water level so I can maximize the fuge/sump and just make a stand for the skimmer. I'm sure chaeto will grow like a weed in there too.

That's what I used, it will work

And Yeaa I've been sanding the shit out of mine haha

Thankfully I have a power sander at home so that should help speed things up a bit. Once I'm home from deployment I'll be going to Home Depot within 24 hours to get the lumber so I can start building it. I'll be breaking the tank down totally as well for a really deep cleaning and starting with a new/fresh sand bed. Time to add a wet/dry shop vac to the ever growing list for the tank, will make getting the sand out so much easier.

I'll prolly go a little bit deeper with the water level so I can maximize the fuge/sump and just make a stand for the skimmer.

Sounds good, just make sure that it will still handle the volume of water that will flow back from the display when the return pump isn't running. My sump, as is, handles the back flow with less than 5 gallons to spare.

Sounds good, just make sure that it will still handle the volume of water that will flow back from the display when the return pump isn't running. My sump, as is, handles the back flow with less than 5 gallons to spare.

Oh There will still be plenty of room for that, I'm going to be using a lifereef overflow box and i've seen some amazing reviews with those. They stop flowing into the sump once power is lost or return pump stops and they start back up from power outages 100% of the time. I just don't trust drilling any tank, just my personal preference.

Cencalfishguy56

Yeah I won't be getting that large of a skimmer, Looking at the Bubble Mag Curve 5, kinda set on that one. I guess a single baffle isn't a bad idea for the return pump area. I'd just like to have a nice size set up for Chaeto and a little live rock. I'll prolly go a little bit deeper with the water level so I can maximize the fuge/sump and just make a stand for the skimmer. I'm sure chaeto will grow like a weed in there too.

Thankfully I have a power sander at home so that should help speed things up a bit. Once I'm home from deployment I'll be going to Home Depot within 24 hours to get the lumber so I can start building it. I'll be breaking the tank down totally as well for a really deep cleaning and starting with a new/fresh sand bed. Time to add a wet/dry shop vac to the ever growing list for the tank, will make getting the sand out so much easier.

Yea bro power sanders make life so much easier! And I know the list keeps growing for me I need to slow down haha

Yea bro power sanders make life so much easier! And I know the list keeps growing for me I need to slow down haha

But it's so hard too! Especially while being deployed getting all the extra pays and not being able to spend hardly any of my paycheck!!! I just keep stacking it away. List so far is below.....and growing

Building new stand

Buying shop vac (mainly for reef clean out and re-set up)

2 clams

Life reef overflow box

All the plumbing parts

40 breeder for fuge/sump

return pump

Bubble Mag 5 Skimmer

Whole new CUC from Reef cleaners

50lbs of live sand

RO/DI - already bought

Then non reef related: 60-70" TV for the family room and building a media/gaming PC for that TV

And the lists keep growing the more and more I read, my wife is going along with it though, she isn't wild about the Media/gaming pc hahaha

Cencalfishguy56

But it's so hard too! Especially while being deployed getting all the extra pays and not being able to spend hardly any of my paycheck!!! I just keep stacking it away. List so far is below.....and growing

Building new stand

Buying shop vac (mainly for reef clean out and re-set up)

2 clams

Life reef overflow box

All the plumbing parts

40 breeder for fuge/sump

return pump

Bubble Mag 5 Skimmer

Whole new CUC from Reef cleaners

50lbs of live sand

RO/DI - already bought

Then non reef related: 60-70" TV for the family room and building a media/gaming PC for that TV

And the lists keep growing the more and more I read, my wife is going along with it though, she isn't wild about the Media/gaming pc hahaha

Damn at least she's going along with it! Haha the second I drop $300 on a light I hear it lol but that's a pretty nice list

Damn at least she's going along with it! Haha the second I drop $300 on a light I hear it lol but that's a pretty nice list

Yeah the ONLY reason I'm getting away with it is because I'll have been on a 9 month deployment and I've earned the right to buy myself some toys for being on a ship in the middle of hell for 9 months. I'm sure I'll wind up grabbing a few other corals with the clams but that is the list so far. Prolly around $3,000 worth of stuff after deployment :)

Cencalfishguy56

Yeah the ONLY reason I'm getting away with it is because I'll have been on a 9 month deployment and I've earned the right to buy myself some toys for being on a ship in the middle of hell for 9 months. I'm sure I'll wind up grabbing a few other corals with the clams but that is the list so far. Prolly around $3,000 worth of stuff after deployment :)

Lol well deserved man, what ship are you on? I know a couple people in the navy, that are stationed in San Diego, Virginia, and North Carolina

Lol well deserved man, what ship are you on? I know a couple people in the navy, that are stationed in San Diego, Virginia, and North Carolina

I'm on the USS FORREST SHERMAN DDG98, you may have seen us on the news recently. Deployment has been long but enjoyable because I do love my job, we are out of Norfolk VA. Can't wait to get home and get my reef tank up to where I want it, The stand is gonna take up at least a week which means I'll have to wait on my clam :( I don't wana add the clam and then do the whole tank re-set up.

If you click on my 20L tank thread it is my current 40 breeder set up. Had to redo my 20L post because ships internet wouldn't let me make a new post. Let me know what you think of the tank please.

• 1 month later...

042115a.jpg

How do you like that flex tubing for your plumbing in the sump? I thought about using that for 90% of my plumbing, seems like it would be way easier to work with than PVC

No regrets. Hanging more PVC would have been more difficult, taken more room, and would be more expensive (due to more fittings). And more fittings would mean more head pressure for the return pump (so less output).

I boiled a big pot of water to put the tubing in. This makes it more flexible and allows you to get rid of the bend that was caused by being in a roll.

No regrets. Hanging more PVC would have been more difficult, taken more room, and would be more expensive (due to more fittings). And more fittings would mean more head pressure for the return pump (so less output).

I boiled a big pot of water to put the tubing in. This makes it more flexible and allows you to get rid of the bend that was caused by being in a roll.

Genius idea, I was going to buy a heat gun but that way sounds perfect, thanks man! Yeah I'll prolly wind up using all flex tubing then for all of it and that will be so much easier than cutting and making adjustments for fittings.

Archived