ReefCleaners.org

30 gal First Tank Advice?

Linguistix

So I'm just getting into having a tank and getting fish and corals. I've had freshwater fish before, but they were just swordfish and a small 10 gal with apple snails. Recently my parents decided to let me use a 30 gal thats been sitting on the porch

Now while I haven't had a tank myself, both my mom and my dad keep tanks, my mom currently focused on breeding mandarins, so I've grown up with saltwater tanks. I've gleamed information from them and the internet about various things and they will help me setup the tank, but any advice is still appreciated.

Mostly what I want advice about are the fish themselves. I wanted a peaceful mushroom tank with florida species, but plans change because I'm adopting some of my mom's fish. However, I'd still like to keep everything in my tank from the gulf of mexico and Caribbean. Other than the adoptees I mean...

My current plan for the tank is

A pair of Gumdrop Coral Crouchers
A pair of Banggai
A pair of Pink Skunks
(^ these are the adoptees, I'll tell their stories later)

An anemone (Bubble preferred)
A Yellowhead Jawfish
A Fighting Conch
A Super Tongan Nassarius Snail

And MAYBE a Griessingei Goby

and some other fish... Suggestions?

AND Mushrooms! Duh
I favor the Ricordea and Hairy Mushrooms

A branching coral (Not sure what kind)
Some Macroalgae (Dragons Breath and Chado?)

Concerning the adoptees, I will most definitely have the Banggai's, though the other two pairs are negotiable. Currently my mom has three Banggai's and one of the females is harassed and beaten, though thankfully not killed, so I am taking her in and possibly adding a male for her.
The skunk pair love anemones(they've lived in two long tentacles) and are currently hosting in Caulerpa XD They are also very docile fish, but that could just be because they are hosting
The crouchers are very cute and my mom wanted a breeding pair, but thinks they are to small for her tank, so I may or may not get them.

I'd like any suggestions or advice, to the amount of fish to coral-fish compatabilities. I could use any advice! Thanks :)

Welcome to NR!!!

I think if you do the adoptees, that would be it for fish in that tank so it would limit anything else you can add. That would be six fish in a 30 gallon and while maybe another small goby would work, I tend to be cautious so take that into account too. Right now, I've got a 29 gallon with 2 clowns and two cleaner gobies and I'd be hesitant to add a pair of Banggai due to their size, but that's just me. I'm sure others here have more fish but being new(er) to the hobby, I think it would be better to not load up on fish your first year. See how it goes then see if you can add more fish

Thanks ^^

I'm restricting myself to small fish, the biggest would be the sleeper goby, cause he'll get ~5 in, but I'm not to concerned about the current amount of fish. The crouchers, sleeper goby, and the clownfish will stay relatively still, with the banggai being the only one really moving around. As far as I know, they don't produce a huge bioload, and I'll have three sandsifters and lots of mushrooms. If anything, Im concerned my water might not get dirty enough XD

Thanks ^^

I'm restricting myself to small fish, the biggest would be the sleeper goby, cause he'll get ~5 in, but I'm not to concerned about the current amount of fish. The crouchers, sleeper goby, and the clownfish will stay relatively still, with the banggai being the only one really moving around. As far as I know, they don't produce a huge bioload, and I'll have three sandsifters and lots of mushrooms. If anything, Im concerned my water might not get dirty enough XD

Ok, I'm confused :) I thought you were asking if it was too many fish:

I'd like any suggestions or advice, including if this is to many fish or if I could have more. I could use any advice! Thanks :)

Are you asking what other fish you could add?

Hello OP, you asked for advice and I'm in agreement with StellaBlue. The adoptees are enough for a tank your size.

Bioload isn't the only concern. I had to give my bangai away because he would eat everybody's food, was a friendly fish, just a foodie. My mandarins never got a chance to get the food because someone more eager was at the ready.

Oh! I'm sorry for the confusion. I was giving an example, but I meant more any thing that may be a problem in the tank, or any suggestions. For example, if I said I wanted tang (which I dont, tanks to small), I could suggest keeping macroalgae or chado in the tank, or if I want microalgae, keeping hard ones that the tangs wont eat.

But I do appreciate your input considering the fish amount. I edited it so its hopefully more clear.

I'm not sure if I could add more fish, but I would like suggestions, because I might end up not getting the clowns and/or the crouchers, and then Im at a loss for what fish to get XD

I think the max should be 6 - and definitely the additions should be spaced out. With a new tank, adding that many fish all at once would be a bad idea until the biological filtration is in place and stable. So, start with two, then a couple months another two and so on. If you end up not adding the clowns, then maybe go for some gobies, a pair of cleaners or the jawfish and another type of goby.

Steensj2004

Oh! I'm sorry for the confusion. I was giving an example, but I meant more any thing that may be a problem in the tank, or any suggestions. For example, if I said I wanted tang (which I dont, tanks to small), I could suggest keeping macroalgae or chado in the tank, or if I want microalgae, keeping hard ones that the tangs wont eat.

But I do appreciate your input considering the fish amount. I edited it so its hopefully more clear.

I'm not sure if I could add more fish, but I would like suggestions, because I might end up not getting the clowns and/or the crouchers, and then Im at a loss for what fish to get XD

Stick with more small fish, gobies are great for smaller tanks, and will come out more often without bigger fish around.

Archived