Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Rembrandt

PicoSavvy

This looks really awesome I like the mame setup nice and clean,I had to trim my rim to fit my nanobox light on lol that stuff is actually pretty thick.

Yea the trim on this tank was really heavy-duty, thicker then on a standard tank. That the main reason I went with mame clean and simple

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea the trim on this tank was really heavy-duty, thicker then on a standard tank. That the main reason I went with mame clean and simple

Well done. :)

HarryPotter

Man playing with gadgets is fun. Here is a video for you guys that show the Nano Doser 1 at work.

Okay I have a question. You have amazing equipment and ideas, but why go with a standard 10 gallon? You could get an amazing Mr. Aqua aquarium or ADA aquarium instead for the price of one of those dosers :)

Okay I have a question. You have amazing equipment and ideas, but why go with a standard 10 gallon? You could get an amazing Mr. Aqua aquarium or ADA aquarium instead for the price of one of those dosers :)

The thank is not a 10 gallon it dimensions are 12 inches x 6 inches x 6 inches, smaller then the standard 2.5 gallon tank . If it was a 10 gallon it would be a nano not a pico. I would have went with ada if they had a tank with this dimensions but they don't. Plus this whole build really got started when I was at a fish store and saw the tank and bought it. The total water volume of the system well be less then 3 gallon

Finally had some time to try the coralife mini aqualight on the tank this is how it looks.

20150803_220358_zps9vm1fkn5.jpg

I am still waiting for the legs I order I ordered for it to arrive

Finally had some time to try the coralife mini aqualight on the tank this is how it looks.

20150713_172822_zps9tkxahfk.jpg

I am still waiting for the legs I order I ordered for it to arrive

Order some extra bulbs - apparently the more recent units burn out lights pretty quickly.

Order some extra bulbs - apparently the more recent units burn out lights pretty quickly.

Actually when I get more money I am either going to upgrade to a nanobox or a diy light fixture from cncreef. This light was more of an impulse buy. It was at a good price when I got it

Superb list of equipment you've got so far !!! This is going to be awesome. What return pump are you going to go with ? I'd say if you went with leds a single 13up from Dave would be more than enough for that tank. Which I actually have the same tank. I personally love Deep Blue tanks,the 12"x6"x6" tanks are such perfect dimensions I think for pico's.

Definitely following along !!!

Superb list of equipment you've got so far !!! This is going to be awesome. What return pump are you going to go with ? I'd say if you went with leds a single 13up from Dave would be more than enough for that tank. Which I actually have the same tank. I personally love Deep Blue tanks,the 12"x6"x6" tanks are such perfect dimensions I think for pico's.

Definitely following along !!!

hey thank for the 13up array recommendation. Well this be enough to handle all type of sps because that what this tank well be housing? And yea, love the dimensions of it, it is actually build pretty good thick glass for it dimensions and a heavy duty frame

Absolutely. It should be more than enough. Just whatever you do,get a decent gph return pump if you're wanting to house sps,along with stable params.

I derimmed mine. Cracked it,but sealed it with a hefty amount of silicone.

But I have a AC50 on my 2 gallon cube and Boise quite a bit of sps and everything is fine. Dave actually has some led set-up's in the hardware section for sale for pretty cheap. Take a peek. You can get the led's you need there. Some are $40 and some are $50-$100. All you'd need is a power supply and either a storm or typhon and some ldd's. Which he has a power supply and a tyhon for sale. I'm sure he can find you stuff to make a complete light.

Absolutely. It should be more than enough. Just whatever you do,get a decent gph return pump if you're wanting to house sps,along with stable params.

I derimmed mine. Cracked it,but sealed it with a hefty amount of silicone.

But I have a AC50 on my 2 gallon cube and Boise quite a bit of sps and everything is fine. Dave actually has some led set-up's in the hardware section for sale for pretty cheap. Take a peek. You can get the led's you need there. Some are $40 and some are $50-$100. All you'd need is a power supply and either a storm or typhon and some ldd's. Which he has a power supply and a tyhon for sale. I'm sure he can find you stuff to make a complete light.

thanks for the help full recommendation does he sell his led with just the heat sink I want to source out the rest like controller and power supply. For the return pump I am looking at the pan world 30px pump but I am afraid that it well be to much flow. Originally I was going to buy a Iwaki pump but even their smallest model is to powerful for the size of this tank

You're better off just ordering his board then. Or just snagging one of his led/heatsinks. Although he does have a typhon for sale for $20 a long with a power supply for $20.

How far under the tank will the sump be ? A Sicce or a Rio should be ample depending on head pressure. I had 200gph going mine and 200gph was crazy lol.

You're better off just ordering his board then. Or just snagging one of his led/heatsinks. Although he does have a typhon for sale for $20 a long with a power supply for $20.

How far under the tank will the sump be ? A Sicce or a Rio should be ample depending on head pressure. I had 200gph going mine and 200gph was crazy lol.

Do sicce and rio make external pump. The stand itself well not be that tall between 20 to 30 inches, it going to be next to my bed. The reason I was looking at pen world pump is because of how it is build all metal and heavy duty fittings. If it is to loud I well take it out of the stand and install it out side. How much flow do you have in your now?

I don't believe so,but honestly,I'd personally prefer a internal pump,just because one,depending on the wattage,you won't really need a heater lol and 2 no big bulky external pumps out in the open or in the way to clutter up the sump area.

In my 8"x8" cube I have a AquaClear 50 with the 70 impeller in it with a fin chopped off,so probably like 120-150 gph. And I can't even run it full blast.

I don't believe so,but honestly,I'd personally prefer a internal pump,just because one,depending on the wattage,you won't really need a heater lol and 2 no big bulky external pumps out in the open or in the way to clutter up the sump area.

In my 8"x8" cube I have a AquaClear 50 with the 70 impeller in it with a fin chopped off,so probably like 120-150 gph. And I can't even run it full blast.

I actually don't mind the external pump. I want to create a minimalistic look in both the sump and display. And plus I want as much heat out of the system as possible. Because down her in southern florida I well have more of a cooling problem then a heating one. That why I am actually look at chiller right now either one of this

http://m.fish-street.com/aquadg_dc_mini_chiller

Or an ice probe chiller

I feel you man,it's been hot as balls here near Orlando the past few weeks. I can imagine how hot it is down south,so I know the feels. Shit,my tank 77,drops down to about 75.8 at night but nothing seems to be affected. I have my filter,a heater and my t5's pumping from 12:15-9:15 lol.

Yea man over here we had a heat wave for the past 3 week and this week it been rainy. Florida weather is to bipolar. But for the must part it is hot ass balls over here. Hell I spent my last christmas with 80 to 90 degree weather

I know the feels man. I've been 90+ up here for weeks now. I'm about sick of it lol.

So when is this thing getting wet ?!!?

Hopefully it well get wet by mid august or sooner. It is killing me having it just sitting there. But Patience is key in this hobby. 

20150803_220358_zps9vm1fkn5.jpg

Well today I was going to look at some return pumps at my local fish store to see how loud they sound but due to Florida weather (it was sunny all day until I walked out, rain,rain) I am stuck home. So since I have the time I made a mame overflow Unboxing video

Have you thought about taking the rim off ?! I'll warn you in advance,it's sexy lol !!! Oh and if you do,be VERY careful,but I was also half way into a bottle of Crown Royal when I did mine so.... Lol.

I been tempted of taking it off but I have never de-rim a tank before so I am a little on the edge about it. If the weather get better tomorrow I am going to pick up two of the standard aga 2.5 tank and practice on them. Does your bow any at all because bow is one of the things I hate seeing in a tank. Also what type of blade or knife did you use

I actually just used a mini handsaw,cut the rim towards the glass (I started in the corner),then slowly cut the top,then the back side of the rim,I know it sounds like a pain but literally only takes about a minute a corner. The took a razor blade and cut the silicone under the rim and slowly but pulled up until the rim came off.

And for the front and back panels,I cut it in 2-3 different spots on both the front and back and cut under the rim and then slowly pulled up. DO NOT PULL THE RIM OUTWARDS !!!!!!!! That's where I fu*ked and cracked the glass.

And no,I had no issues of bowing. Especially in such a small volume of water. The glass is about 4-5mm so it shouldn't bow at all. Even where I had the silicone the crack,it didn't bow which I was surprised seeming the crack was from the top of the glass to right above the silicone.

I actually just used a mini handsaw,cut the rim towards the glass (I started in the corner),then slowly cut the top,then the back side of the rim,I know it sounds like a pain but literally only takes about a minute a corner. The took a razor blade and cut the silicone under the rim and slowly but pulled up until the rim came off.

And for the front and back panels,I cut it in 2-3 different spots on both the front and back and cut under the rim and then slowly pulled up. DO NOT PULL THE RIM OUTWARDS !!!!!!!! That's where I fu*ked and cracked the glass.

And no,I had no issues of bowing. Especially in such a small volume of water. The glass is about 4-5mm so it shouldn't bow at all. Even where I had the silicone the crack,it didn't bow which I was surprised seeming the crack was from the top of the glass to right above the silicone.

Thanks bro for the helpful tips. Tomorrow if the weather allow I will buy 2 of those 2.5 gallon tank as practice tank and try my hands at derimming tank. Now that my most important part of the build has been solved the awc system (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363278-diy-auto-water-change/) this build can now go a lot smoothly, because this was one of my concern when building this tank having an automatic water change system

Archived