ReefCleaners.org

ich host fish without symptoms?

Partagas

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to have a host fish to ich without showing any symptoms? reason why i ask is that my tank got ich many months ago and this melanarus wrasse was the lone survivor. after trying to add more fish multiple times, the ich came back, wiped everyone out exept the wrasse, i have gone through this cycle three times already. I have a theory that this guy is inmune to the ich yet serves as a host to complete the life cycle of ich. Has anyone had this experience? thaks for your thoughts and comments in advance.

Yup. Once a tank has ich it must lay fallow (meaning no fish) for at least 72 days. If any fish host remains in the tank it should be considered infected.

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to have a host fish to ich without showing any symptoms? reason why i ask is that my tank got ich many months ago and this melanarus wrasse was the lone survivor. after trying to add more fish multiple times, the ich came back, wiped everyone out exept the wrasse, i have gone through this cycle three times already. I have a theory that this guy is inmune to the ich yet serves as a host to complete the life cycle of ich. Has anyone had this experience? thaks for your thoughts and comments in advance.

Yes, the cure is to put him in a QT and dose medicine, that is the only way to cure ICK from the fish. ICK pellets can help with continuous 20 days usage according to New life spectrum people. Many disagree with that.

Yup. Once a tank has ich it must lay fallow (meaning no fish) for at least 72 days. If any fish host remains in the tank it should be considered infected.

But the wrasse who has the ick would still have it when it got back into the DT after the fallow period. This is what he's saying, that the wrasse is the host.

So fallow aside, the wrasse has to be treated.

I agree with Kats response 100%. I just went through the same thing and took all fish out and treated with cupramine. And funny enough, my melanarus wrasse never showed any signs of ick even though all other fish did

I agree with Kats response 100%. I just went through the same thing and took all fish out and treated with cupramine. And funny enough, my melanarus wrasse never showed any signs of ick even though all other fish did

very interesting that you also had an asymptomatic melanarus. I gotta get to trap him and quarantine him now. 72 das is a long quarantine. Hope he makes it.

Thanks to all for the responses!

Archived