Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

filtration for 36g corner tank

Dumbfk88

Hey guys, I was looking for alil feedback on what some other people think. Trying to figure out filtration for a new fish tank im putting together, and I was hoping that a modded AC70 would do the job. With a max output of 300gph thatd be a max turnover of 8.3 times be hour. Would this be enough for my tank or would I be better going bigger with a modded AC110? I know theres the old rule of 10x return flow but just kinda wanted to know what other think. Thanks guys, I appreciate any insight you guys have.

I run an AC30 on a ten gallong tank. I use filter floss on the bottom and a small bag of Chemipure Elite (I put half of a bag in a new bag for this) and 50 ml Purigen in a bag. I replace the CHemipure every month and regenerate the Purigen monthly. The total volume of the tank is 8 gallons. I keep zoas, GSP, hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp. I don't see why you should not be able to scale this. I also have about 2 pounds of dry rock and 2 of live rock.

Thanks for the feedback, ive ordered an AC110 and plan on modding it. Now im looking for a quality protein skimmer and hopefully ill be off to a good start. Just gotta find a nice lighting system, i dont want to limit what i can keep anymore.

I think with good tank management, water changes etc, that a skimmer is not absolutely necessary. I would rather have good live rock, some macroalgae and regular water changes to keep things stable. Even with a skimmer you would want to keep up with the water changes etc.

Good luck reefing!

Yeah ive been keeping up with my current water changes about every 3-4 weeks of 25% Everything has been running well for years.

Archived