inTank Media Baskets

3 weeks in , brown stuff everywhere

Northeastgareef

Northeastgareef

Ok, I set up my tank around 3 weeks ago. It's 20 gallon long custom built with a partion that has the overflow heater and filter media ect. Put in the sand and 15 pounds of live rock. Good live rock. The nitrates and nitrites spiked then all went to zero, including ammonia. Still everything is around zero, nitrates might be a hair up but close to zero. But in the past week brown algae exploded in the tank everywhere all over the rock sand and glass. It has bubbles on it and seem to be growing hair like things. It dusts if very walk and I do a 20% water change week.

People as my local reef store said this was a totally normal with a new tank and it would go away and to add a cleanup crew. I've put in 3

Crabs and 4

Snails so far. Any input would be appreciated.

I've also been told to try and get it off my Sipponing it off.... Or should I up my clean up crew and let them

Eat it?

That's really not much of a clean up crew at all. The dusty brown stuff is just diatoms which is normal. The bubble algae is not normal and you should try to pull off whatever you can. You can get a good clean up crew from the link below and for a great price. Just go to the cleaner packages and click on the 20 long one.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/

Ok, I set up my tank around 3 weeks ago. It's 20 gallon long custom built with a partion that has the overflow heater and filter media ect. Put in the sand and 15 pounds of live rock. Good live rock. The nitrates and nitrites spiked then all went to zero, including ammonia. Still everything is around zero, nitrates might be a hair up but close to zero. But in the past week brown algae exploded in the tank everywhere all over the rock sand and glass. It has bubbles on it and seem to be growing hair like things. It dusts if very walk and I do a 20% water change week.

People as my local reef store said this was a totally normal with a new tank and it would go away and to add a cleanup crew. I've put in 3

Crabs and 4

Snails so far. Any input would be appreciated.

I've also been told to try and get it off my Sipponing it off.... Or should I up my clean up crew and let them

Eat it?

brown stuff will clear up and is normal for a new tank, as it cycles it will go away just keep to your water changes and ect. now we really need pictures to confirm the type of algae but it does produce oxygen which can cause bubbles to be seen, can also be cyano algae. just seems more than just diatoms to me.

Archived