Cultivated Reef

Nameless and Shameless- This tank will be coming down.

FlowerMama

I'm leaning towards the Tanaka as it's a brighter red color. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for a 10 gallon. I guess it'd be different if it was in a 40 w/ 5 other fish. I've had bad luck with the neon gobies though. I had two in my 34 and they didn't make it. such tiny mouths, was hard to get mine to eat.

I love those pygmy wrasses! Or the pink-streaked ;). I only have experience with the PSW but from what I hear they are very similar in behavior to the Tanaka. They are the sweetest fish. Like they have personality. I feel Pinky and I have a connection lol.
  • Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, forgot about their tiny mouths. Hmm...ever considered a slightly small species of blenny? Not necessarily a TSB but maybe one of these three?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+1871&pcatid=1871

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+3262&pcatid=3262

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2561&pcatid=2561

The last one looks really adorable. :)

Firefish are another option but they're jumpers. You could get a gumdrop coral croucher as well - those look quite unique and DD has them on occasion.

Hm, you've given me something to think about. I loved my tailspot and the Two Spot is really cute for a silver fish. The last one though says 30g for sure so it's out.

Here are 2 more pics of that 2 spot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Two+Spot+Bimaculatus+Blenny&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=9X-qDacGgFx5KM%253A%253BFrDD8lJq6_Bt2M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fibluewater.com%25252Fblennygoby.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9X-qDacGgFx5KM%253A%252CFrDD8lJq6_Bt2M%252C_&biw=1206&bih=644&usg=__stNwdX_CBg-RKjCE8z3VFYq5hIM%3D&ved=0CEEQyjc&ei=tUOgVbq8J4-qogSlrLWoBQ#imgrc=9X-qDacGgFx5KM%3A&usg=__stNwdX_CBg-RKjCE8z3VFYq5hIM%3D

https://www.google.com/search?q=Two+Spot+Bimaculatus+Blenny&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=9X-qDacGgFx5KM%253A%253BFrDD8lJq6_Bt2M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fibluewater.com%25252Fblennygoby.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9X-qDacGgFx5KM%253A%252CFrDD8lJq6_Bt2M%252C_&biw=1206&bih=644&usg=__stNwdX_CBg-RKjCE8z3VFYq5hIM%3D&ved=0CEEQyjc&ei=tUOgVbq8J4-qogSlrLWoBQ#imgrc=8xz9_vNp5v4adM%3A&usg=__stNwdX_CBg-RKjCE8z3VFYq5hIM%3D

Ooooh a Possum wrasse would be awesome. The Tanaka's and White Banded are fish I've eyed for a long time. I finally decided that I'd just let my Yasha goby be the king (or queen) of my Nuvo 8 and not add any other fish to the system since it has been running so well.

Anyway, they are pretty shy. Opposite in personality from the 6-line. From what I've read and seen of them in stores, they definitely like to keep to the rockwork. I did see one earlier this week at the grungy LFS I dont normally go to (but was meeting a fellow reefer there to sell him something), that was out and about a lot and looked really good. It was tempting.

Another wrasse you could consider that would be in between the 6 line and the possum's in terms of personality is the Pink Streaked. I'm sure Gena will chime in on that one.

Yeah, I read about the shyness of the Tanakas and White Banded and that worries me. I think I won't go that way w/ them.

I love those pygmy wrasses! Or the pink-streaked ;). I only have experience with the PSW but from what I hear they are very similar in behavior to the Tanaka. They are the sweetest fish. Like they have personality. I feel Pinky and I have a connection lol.

Maybe I will try the pink streaked wrasse and the 2 spot Bimaculatus Blenny since previously I had that tank with the tailspot and 6line. It would be like revisiting but just in a different way.

So what do you think?

pinkstreakwrasse_zps7rwailjg.jpg

OR which I really love for the blue in the stripes, the green on the tail and the sparkle in the eye.

p-24066-wrasse_zps3jc9s1er.jpg

AND

two-spot-bimaculatus-blenny-ecsenius-bim

Maybe I will try the pink streaked wrasse and the 2 spot Bimaculatus Blenny since previously I had that tank with the tailspot and 6line. It would be like revisiting but just in a different way.

So what do you think?

OR which I really love for the blue in the stripes, the green on the tail and the sparkle in the eye.

AND

That little blenny is adorable :wub:.

If you like the 6-line better, get that. But I think you would absolutely love the PSW :).

So what do you think?

AND

Six line wrasse get larger, more aggressive, and are more active. I'd go with a possum wrasse. Firefish are nice too, I really like the Helfrichi. Clown gobies will annoy sps and you may have trouble finding that exact species of Blenny. But any small blenny works.

Nanofreak79

Blenny!

Six line wrasse get larger, more aggressive, and are more active. I'd go with a possum wrasse. Firefish are nice too, I really like the Helfrichi. Clown gobies will annoy sps and you may have trouble finding that exact species of Blenny. But any small blenny works.

Possum is a good idea, every fire fish I've had jumped and committed fishacide, JMO!

Blenny!

Possum is a good idea, every fire fish I've had jumped and committed fishacide, JMO!

They are dartfish, so they are very docile and easily scared. You need a top with them.

Nanofreak79

They are dartfish, so they are very docile and easily scared. You need a top with them.

I know but I go topless, livin on tha edge sorta reefing! Lol I did have a helfriech in a bio cube for a few years before he died without reason. And I've had another red jump, that was my end of fire fish.

Yep, certainly will have a screen top on the tank. And I've never been a fan of the shape of firefish.

I know my 6-line taught my tailspot to be more aggressive with eating and then they were both stealing food from acans, etc..

Ok, so the yellow combtooth blenny. In reality does it look more like this pic from Livveaquaria or this other pic???? cuz that's quite a difference.

p-84300-yellow-combtooth-blenny_zpszsbat

yellowcombtoothblenny_zpsdslvz0vw.jpg

But I really the love the black mask going over half the eyes on the 2 spot bimaculatus blenny.

Here's another different picture of one. Either way for sure I want one.

2spot_blenny_zpsufixbyx2.jpg

and

Nanofreak79

Yep, certainly will have a screen top on the tank. And I've never been a fan of the shape of firefish.

I know my 6-line taught my tailspot to be more aggressive with eating and then they were both stealing food from acans, etc..

Ok, so the yellow combtooth blenny. In reality does it look more like this pic from Livveaquaria or this other pic???? cuz that's quite a difference.

I would suspect live aquaria has the right pic, but blennies have that ability to change colors slightly. Also there could be a few species under the same name? Un educated guess. I like all three pics. You might find someone here who knows better, or call /email live aquaria the pics for some better answers.

I'm pretty sure Ashley (drawing a blank on her username but she hasn't been on for awhile) had the combtooth and loved it.

I have decided after long deliberation. My fish will each have 2 false eye spots. The 2 spot bimaculala blenny and the tanaka pygmy wrasse. I decided I wanted something that would be a common theme. The red sea star would be going back into the Rock Flower tank. There shouldn't be a problem between the wrasse and the coral banded shrimp, right?

TanakasPygmyWrasse_zpshg4nnbst.jpg

It'll be a while but do I still get the blenny first so he can stake out his home?

Or is it ok to get the only 2 fish at one time? Just thinking s/h, unless I get an lfs to get them for me a couple weeks a part. Also thinking I'll use some rock from my 60 fuge as it is full of holes. Perfect for hiding places for both these guys. My current rock structure is more base rock and that I can use to decorate Gertie's tank perhaps. I'll use some but not all of the current Evolve 8 rock.

In fact, I'm going to pick out some pieces tomorrow evening to put into the cycling tank. It just took me a while to think about it.

The Possom wrasses being so shy and small, I don't think that you need to get the blenny first or worry about your shrimp.

The Possom wrasses being so shy and small, I don't think that you need to get the blenny first or worry about your shrimp.

Cool. That's good to know. I was kinda hoping so. Most of those little blenny's are shy too. So I'm hoping they work out together. And it shouldn't be a problem for one fish to be Indonesian, the other Filipino?

I put some of that fuge rock in that came from my 60 and a couple live pieces from my 34g fuge. Just helping it all along since I got the tank wet a week ago. I honestly haven't even checked the water yet as all I have is a nitrate kit at this point. This is not final position at all, just a way to get this other rock seeded and add more bacteria. So, it'll be a mix of new and old rock from the Evolve as it already has some mushrooms and gorg on it. We'll see how it goes. I just wanted to make sure I had rocks that were holy for both fish to swim through and hide or sleep in.

Oh, and do you think if will be ok to get both right now and put them in my Evolve 8? Both are on LiveAquaria right now. Or wait for a couple weeks??. I don't want to stress them out w/ another transfer. And also, wouldn't want to put too much in the tank at once. Then again, I don't want to get them separately either and have to pay shipping for each one. I'm doubtful that my lfs can find these honestly.

20150714_233748_zpsk0incbgk.jpg

20150714_233757_zpsvja9onzh.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Cool. That's good to know. I was kinda hoping so. Most of those little blenny's are shy too. So I'm hoping they work out together. And it shouldn't be a problem for one fish to be Indonesian, the other Filipino?

I put some of that fuge rock in that came from my 60 and a couple live pieces from my 34g fuge. Just helping it all along since I got the tank wet a week ago. I honestly haven't even checked the water yet as all I have is a nitrate kit at this point. This is not final position at all, just a way to get this other rock seeded and add more bacteria. So, it'll be a mix of new and old rock from the Evolve as it already has some mushrooms and gorg on it. We'll see how it goes. I just wanted to make sure I had rocks that were holy for both fish to swim through and hide or sleep in.

Oh, and do you think if will be ok to get both right now and put them in my Evolve 8? Both are on LiveAquaria right now. Or wait for a couple weeks??. I don't want to stress them out w/ another transfer. And also, wouldn't want to put too much in the tank at once. Then again, I don't want to get them separately either and have to pay shipping for each one. I'm doubtful that my lfs can find these honestly.

20150714_233748_zpsk0incbgk.jpg

20150714_233757_zpsvja9onzh.jpg

i absolutely love your fish choices. :) I'm going through the same thing right now.

However, I can't weigh in on how you should go about ordering them. I've never ordered a fish.

Love the scape!

My tiny reef

If you don't mind driving one weekend then you could have Nemos special order them for you and you wouldn't have to pay shipping at all. I've seen those in store before but not sure how much they would charge, they are usually pretty reasonable on prices though. I love that wrasse too but since I got a ruby red I didn't want it to compete for the pods.

Nope, shouldn't be a problem putting the fish together because of their original locales. If you think about it, a lot of people keep an Atlantic fish (Royal Gramma) with many Indo-Pac fish.

Your Evolve doesn't have any fish in it right now, correct? And, it is a mature tank, so I think the Evolve could handle having the two of them in there. I think I'd want this tank to mature a little bit before putting 2 fish in it.

STOP on everything. I have a job now until 11/30. The overall company outsourced our jobs to the Philipines. This area is poor in jobs and not good in pay. Not ordering a thing at all and probably won't be putting up the 40 for the flowers I just got as I don't know what's happening. I applied to another job internally but we were already told it would be a pay cut. If I get less than what I'm making now I have to move. Then my rent is going up by another $50 starting 11/1. I don't even know what to think.

My tiny reef

STOP on everything. I have a job now until 11/30. The overall company outsourced our jobs to the Philipines. This area is poor in jobs and not good in pay. Not ordering a thing at all and probably won't be putting up the 40 for the flowers I just got as I don't know what's happening. I applied to another job internally but we were already told it would be a pay cut. If I get less than what I'm making now I have to move. Then my rent is going up by another $50 starting 11/1. I don't even know what to think.

Wow, so sorry . I hope it all works out for the better.

Wow, so sorry . I hope it all works out for the better.

Yeah. If they get some contracts then there's the possibility of growth in one other dept. Yeah, I love Nemo's Reef. Wonderful, bright store. I had only visited once, then it burned down. Then I've been back once since then as my tanks are pretty established w/ all the corals but yeah, I would drive there to get 2 fish. Just not now even.

My tiny reef

Yeah. If they get some contracts then there's the possibility of growth in one other dept. Yeah, I love Nemo's Reef. Wonderful, bright store. I had only visited once, then it burned down. Then I've been back once since then as my tanks are pretty established w/ all the corals but yeah, I would drive there to get 2 fish. Just not now even.

Good luck with the other department!! Nemos has just remodeled again, some impressive tanks in there now. Once you get secure in a job you should make a trip down to check it out and pick up your fish. You should also check out The Inland Reef, it's a bit smaller but he is great to talk with about saltwater and if you are lucky his peacock may be hanging around to see while you are there.

Archived