SaltCritters.com

Nameless and Shameless- This tank will be coming down.

FlowerMama

Glad to hear you are being considered for the internal move. I pray it works out for you as It will extend you working till you find something else.

The new housing development is very exciting. It is always good to know your neighbors and being friends is even better. Around here, way out in the country, we keep an eye one each others property and such.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out 7 properties after work. 2 of the 7 are worth looking at again. Guess 2 yrs ago I didn't mind driving out as much but I got so mixed up in the back country today w/ the compass in the car reading N, S, E, W at every turn that i couldn't tell you which way I was in the end going.

I found 2, told the lady to locate me some more and I'd check after work on Fri and then take my mother w/ me Sat to look at the winners for the week.

They are both right off paved roads.

One was part of a 2 street neighborhood, the culdesac, in the back. So it's the last property and everything else is established. Con, it costs more and is w/in 1 mile to the entrance of an elementary school so as long as I leave in the morning to work before the buses pile in I'll be fine. It was cleared a yr ago, is slightly sloped going in and then flat.

The 2nd one is completely level also and would have to be cleared. It is 15,100 less. Quieter, like a country road but with trees, you may or may not know your neighbors, just depends how private you want to be.

Sounds like you are getting a few to consider and choose from. That is great! We live out in the country and a few years ago three schools were built right behind us. Elementary, middle and high. We cant see them because a huge hill is between us but we hear all their sports and band practice and such. But I dont think you would have all that with an elementary school. :) Hope you find the perfect fit.

I like the sound of the second one as well. We live 2-3 blocks from the high school here and wow, traffic gets INSANE. Then again, we live in a "small city/large town" so that probably would be totally different.

I like the sound of the second one as well. We live 2-3 blocks from the high school here and wow, traffic gets INSANE. Then again, we live in a "small city/large town" so that probably would be totally different.

You don't just have to worry about school traffic just before and just after school - sports events, school dances/plays, parent/teacher conference days, field trips... Plus, all the kids who walk to and from school don't care about walking in the middle of the streets or through yards. <_< Get off my lawn!

I couldnt imagine living right by a high school. We live about 5 blocks from one and even that gets annoying with parking sometimes. But mostly its the hoodlums walking home from school causing problems. We had a fight in the alley behind the house one year. Blood all over the street. I'll be glad to move out of here. I think an elementary school wouldnt be so bad though. Have fun house hunting annette!!!!! I love house hunting. And when I'm not in the market I like to watch the show House Hunters :D.

I couldnt imagine living right by a high school. We live about 5 blocks from one and even that gets annoying with parking sometimes. But mostly its the hoodlums walking home from school causing problems. We had a fight in the alley behind the house one year. Blood all over the street. I'll be glad to move out of here. I think an elementary school wouldnt be so bad though. Have fun house hunting annette!!!!! I love house hunting. And when I'm not in the market I like to watch the show House Hunters :D.

I love House Hunters! Also hate it sometimes when people complain the house doesn't have 5 bedrooms on their $150k budget...

You don't just have to worry about school traffic just before and just after school - sports events, school dances/plays, parent/teacher conference days, field trips... Plus, all the kids who walk to and from school don't care about walking in the middle of the streets or through yards. <_< Get off my lawn!

yes.. or parking in front of your drive way blocking you from leaving your own house because they're late to school. That's a fun one to deal with.

Yeah, already in my mind today I said no to the school lot. Being the last one also to move in I wouldn't want to feel rushed to get the driveway paved or get grass seed or sod going. And the price is too high.

The one that's left is much better priced and while they said the septic license expired they can get that again and while it said 2 BR minimum, this is what I'm thinking, since there wouldnt' be a 3rd bedroom, double or even triple the size of the laundry room so I can keep my Brute in there instead of in the kitchen daily in view. ALSO, have them add a wash basin and spout, so I can not only wash my dog in it and keep the guest bathroom clean but hook up the RO/DI. Use the room for all sorts of storage including the trash cans that go outside. There will not be a garage. Then hang gardening tools on pegs. Hang the ladder and other tools.

I know for reselling purposes 3 bedrooms would be a plus but 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths w/ large utility room is also a plus. Is this a good idea? Trying to think how to work things.

I love House Hunters! Also hate it sometimes when people complain the house doesn't have 5 bedrooms on their $150k budget...

I hate it when they're like, oh, this won't do, there's no fence for the dog. So PUT UP a fence. OR....i can't do this paint color...then PAINT IT! Everyone wants everything done for them. Where is this stupid entitlement coming from???? I stopped watching those shows. It used to be when I was younger, I'll be 45 in Jan, that you could buy a house "as is" cuz you had your own creativity to make of it what you wanted. So many people now want instant satisfaction. I like the process. I've been enjoying thinking it out. And I think this last idea was a good one. It'll probably be easy to get that property since it's a 2BR only, .8 acres. And it was priced right.

I was also thinking to myself today. If I paid for the land, then those are my trees, so instead of hauling them away, chip 2 of them for me and give me a pile of mulch. I'll need a path at least to let my dog outside so he doesn't track in mud. Grass seed wouldn't go down til Spring and I can certainly use it. There weren't any nearby properties left or right of me so the pile could sit there rotting.

Sounds like there's a lot of potential there, especially since you could really make it work for reefing :) Good luck!

A large utility room is a huge plus. Especially when you have no garage or a garden shed yet. Sounds like lots of potential in that one and the price being right is a huge plus!

Oh, and thought of another thing, I can put a long table on one side, like 30" high and 2ft x 4, for folding clothes and placing Hagen on top for when I groom him. I can put one of those closet organizing shelves made of the white wire and tie his leash up. And beneath it storage.

I saw the property again today, drove straight from work and it was only 27 mins. It seemed longer before as I took a different route straight from my house here so it was long winding back roads. And it's 19 mins from my parents instead of 30 so it is helpful for them too if they need something. Doing so I realized I'm like 2-3 miles from a nearby small hospital, so that could surely be advantageous as I've been helping pharmacies bill their medical equipment for 8 yrs this Sept. So that would be perfect if something opened up in 4-12 mos.

You know how you get that feeling like you need to do it, like you're getting good vibes? Getting them. I told the lady on Wed I wanted several more to look at so I could check after work Fri and then look at the winners w/ my mother on Sat. I emailed her this am to let her know I was taking the larger one off the table and to get me several. She said she would so I could look Sat. She never got back. I seriously am looking for signs and I believe God is giving them to me. I asked him to make it white as day for me.

I thought it was all wooded from what I saw upfront road facing but behind the initial trees it was cleared some time ago so there are weeds and trees from my mid body to above my head. And it is flat. I believe the property is more left to right but I need to see a line drawing. But here it is. Nice sun at 5:30 in the afternoon.

20150731_165737_zpskqjjfa98.jpg

Sounds very promising! The lagistics of location seems very favorable. The floor plan for your needs very good. Very lush and cheerful backyard!

Sounds very promising! The lagistics of location seems very favorable. The floor plan for your needs very good. Very lush and cheerful backyard!

Thanks, I'd tell them to leave as much as possible when grading so It can still look lush while I wait for some grass seed to grow in other areas. Even though it's warmer in NC I can't imagine you could put grass seed in Nov but who knows. I could be wrong. I'd have to research. I saw one house and apparently the couple wanted it all removed so the earth was caked dry and looked like a desert.

Thanks, I'd tell them to leave as much as possible when grading so It can still look lush while I wait for some grass seed to grow in other areas. Even though it's warmer in NC I can't imagine you could put grass seed in Nov but who knows. I could be wrong. I'd have to research. I saw one house and apparently the couple wanted it all removed so the earth was caked dry and looked like a desert.

Depends on the type of seed from what I have heard. I need to do the same soon for my lawn... When I go to cut the grass right now, I am really just leveling the weeds. : )

That picture of the one property looks really nice. I would love to have more woods in my backyard.

It looks beautiful! You can always plant rye grass in the winter just to get some green and to hold the soil in place. It won't die until the weather warms up enough to plant "real" grass.

So much green! Is there a house on that property already or would you build?

No house there. I'd be building 2BR modular hopefully with a doubled size utility room as right now they mostly show the spot for the washer and dryer and that's it. But if I'm not going to have a 3rd bedroom then a smaller space can be hopefully allocated to laundry. Just enough to have dryer, washer, utility basin for RO/DI hook up & washing dog on one wall and 6 ft laminate top sitting on top of cabinets across from it. And with like 3 ft of space between so when I open the dryer door I have room. Oh, and room for the Brute on the floor.. And would love a sliding door there so I don't have wasted space with a swinging door. Then the back door would be going outside that room.

They typically come w/ white appliances and I'd upgrade to black. With fishtanks and Hagens' recurrent bladder infections I'd do a vinyl tile flooring resembling hardwood. See if I can afford some modifications like arches. Living room flows into dining, flows into kitchen so I have plenty of wall space.

Going to see my newest friends home today w/ my mom. She just built a 1500-1600 sq ft home by the same company and she'd be 1/4 mile away and she was in her jet tub last night! Must have. Hopefully she can allay some fears my mother has with the whole process.

So if she likes the property too then I'll get on it I think. Wish me luck!!!

Depends on the type of seed from what I have heard. I need to do the same soon for my lawn... When I go to cut the grass right now, I am really just leveling the weeds. : )

That picture of the one property looks really nice. I would love to have more woods in my backyard.

Yeah, there are so many nice "weeds" there I'd like to keep some of it, have a boundary around the house and then have some grass and some room for a little gardening. I have like 8 hostas I can dig up and move over. I mean LARGE hostas. 3 of them are practically 4 ft across, huge leaves. So I'l arleady have some landscaping and at that time of yr, Nov I would think it would be fine to uproot them as they go dormant for the winter anyway, right?

It looks beautiful! You can always plant rye grass in the winter just to get some green and to hold the soil in place. It won't die until the weather warms up enough to plant "real" grass.

Not a bad idea. And maybe they can mulch a couple trees so I can put it down for a path for Hagen.

yes.. or parking in front of your drive way blocking you from leaving your own house because they're late to school. That's a fun one to deal with.

I would love that :lol: I would have the tow truck on speed dial :)

We live in north georgia and usually put grass seed down in September. I used to work in landscaping and customers would rent or pay for their yards to have a core arrator run over it and then put down fescue seed. Our fescue grass here grows till first hard frost. My goats and ponies eat growing fresh fescue till November or December before I have to start to supplement with hay. Of course the bermuda grass goes dormant way before December. You can move your hostas in cold weather. (they sound beautiful!) Just leave as much of the origional soil around the roots as you can and make sure you amend the soil well with potting soil or something where you are going to put them so they have an easier time rooting because they are so big and established.

I would love that :lol: I would have the tow truck on speed dial :)

Yep, they did get towed. And the next day another kid's car got towed. They finally stopped.

The picture I took was of the wrong property. Mine is off to the right of that. Dips down slightly then is flat. Full trees. Heard from the realtor that it is currently taking 3 wks to get a septic permit as the county is busy. So that part stinks.

I'm also asking if there's another property available 1/2 mile up where my newest friend built her home with the same company. They said she had the best property of the remaining ones on that tract. There are to be 3 more there but I couldn't tell where one ended, the other began so the realtor is going to check into it. It wouldn't be a big home but the issue is with sloping so the previous land was completely flat. I'm afraid this here might cut into my area to have a tiny garden.

I did though find out that they put grass seed within a 20ft radius of the house and that's certainly the most I'd need. Anything else can be forest or later added myself. Already have way too many ideas in my head. However I would not do this on grass but I'd put that webbing material down to prevent weeds then put gravel on top, then the firepit.

firepit2_zpsyil6ewkp.jpg

firepit_zpsrwev9qno.jpg

So I told the realtor to try to get me one property up there so I can at least have 2 to compare if I like them both.

OH, and everything is doing well in my tank. I had a little diatoms but it went away, like there was just a smidgen and gone after a couple days. I need to clean the glass. You know how you sometimes only notice when you're sitting off to the side? Yep.

I'm exhausted today, yesterday after seeing the 1 property and trying to gather where the other 3 were my mother and I returned to my house and it took 4 hrs to go through the downstairs 2 bedrooms, deciding what to keep, what to put in garage sale. I want to have a sale at the end of Aug, either the last Saturday before Labor Day wknd or if I'm delayed, Labor Day weekend. Depending on how that goes, do another in Sept and the last one beginning of October.

They have a local Yardsale FB page where people post what they're selling so I'll try that first for the larger things. Later it will be donating whatever is left to Goodwill. I can't remember which but there's one organization here that picks up larger items. I can't remember who.

I priced 4 ft laminate tops at Lowes. $43 Go to the Habitat house store here and find either 1 large cabinet or 2 small ones for the base and I'll have my folding table/grooming table. I figured 9x7 would be the min size of the room. No utility door necessary, I could add my own sliding door later or something from the inside, just something on rails, sure it can be done and it would be cheaper. One side would have the following:

basindryerwasher_zpsgf9h4nr2.jpg

The other side would have the folding top 4ft long and then storage. And a kitchen size half window for light. Have to make sure my Brute can fits in there

Archived