inTank Media Baskets

Nameless and Shameless- This tank will be coming down.

FlowerMama

My very first tank on NR under 1stimereefer was started 8 mos after my spouse passed.

http://www.nano-reef...d/#entry4362668 Evolve 8, Feb 23, 2013-

The tank will soon be retired and given to a friend. The acrylic, even with the acrylic safe sponges and blades to clean her has gotten so many pores that the walls are very difficult to clean. I want to give the acid rain bta a better home too. Also, such close proximity to the chair made tv viewing annoying for guests as the light is so bright. Not to mention so much detritus builds up in back.

So.... starting a new tank with the 10g I used to cycle the rock for my 60. Has a crack on each side on the black rim, but it's not a tank crack.

20150707_191322_zpszm2ib6mx.jpg

Tank got wet 7/7/15. Karat's life was taken overnight so it's really Nameless, Shameless and Fishless.

20150707_221309_zpsklgbteqw.jpg

Everything will be moved over- NanoK powerhead, heater and Par38 full spectrum bulb. And now have an AC50 filter which is strong so unsure whether I'll move this to Gertie's tank and put one of the AC30s in it's place. Or shaving the impellar. Not sure which is better.

And tank today. I did put 2 mysis shrimp in the other day and 2 shotglasses worth of sand from the 34g.

20150709_202729_zpsoznidsgs.jpg

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to seeing how this one progresses

Thanks. And though in front of a window, it only gets some evening light. Main concern was knowing that bta will get bigger and that little tank wasn't a good home. How big do these acid rain btas get??

Yay :happydance:. I like it! I forgot you have a BTA :D.

Yep, for $20 from a local reefer. She's so green w/ orange tips, I just can't get it w this phone. The green gsp doesn't help but camouflage her. Lost my Nikon camera so I can't take pics with it.

Yep, for $20 from a local reefer. She's so green w/ orange tips, I just can't get it w this pone. The green gsp doesn't help but camouflage her. Lost my Nikon camera so I can't take pics with it.

It will be a nice showpiece for the tank :). It's really pretty!

Yeah, I said, are you sure you don't want 30? It didn't feel right. He was selling this and a red bta.

Looking forward to following along!

Thanks for helping me narrow down my tank name. I liked your twist much better!

Thanks. I was really disappointed when I couldn't keep a rbta alive in my 34g. Now I realize maybe I had too much light or something. So when this one was doing well I felt really happy since the same light is moving over. I have to say, the little Evolve and Par38 had no problem growing a clam or bta so was happy about that.

I will be making a screen. I have a screen kit I bought from BRS when I got the 60 going but now I think it's pointless for the 60 since there are no fish in it. So I will, over the coming weeks cut a screen for this 10 gallon, the 34g and Gertie's 20g. The 20 will have the little marineland strip on top of it so we'll see how that works or not. If not I'll go back and buy plexiglass, and cut one out. I still have to decide whether I should put the AC50 in w/ Gert along w/ one AC30 and move the AC30 in with this tank. Of course the flow may not be as strong when I put another 3" of water, for now it's making a bald spot. But all that has to do of course w/ making cut outs for the filters and lights.

I'm kinda thinking, yet I don't know if it's strong enough, for me to connect the light fixture to the back of the filter instead of the rim of the tank. It would make it an inch higher.

This is gonna be awesome!

I hope so. New arrangement with 2 islands and new fish whatever those end up being. I hope the bta deals ok with the move later. But how exciting, at least I can think of fish again.

Following! I love those pictures of the BTA :wub:

I have an AC-70 that I used for a little while. The plastic on it is pretty thin - I'd be afraid to mount a light on it, at least not without some kind of reinforcement.

I don't know if the AC-50 is like my -70, but on mine, there was a little plastic tab that limited how far you could swing the intake tube over to limit the flow. You can remove the tab by cutting it out which lets you swing the tube over a lot further. I was able to get the flow on mine low enough to run on my 4g tank :happy: Much easier than shaving down the impeller.

Following! I love those pictures of the BTA :wub:

I have an AC-70 that I used for a little while. The plastic on it is pretty thin - I'd be afraid to mount a light on it, at least not without some kind of reinforcement.

I don't know if the AC-50 is like my -70, but on mine, there was a little plastic tab that limited how far you could swing the intake tube over to limit the flow. You can remove the tab by cutting it out which lets you swing the tube over a lot further. I was able to get the flow on mine low enough to run on my 4g tank :happy: Much easier than shaving down the impeller.

I'll have to look into that.

Nice BTA you have there

Thank you!

I've missed my 6 line wrasse.

However, I've also thought a nice unique wrasse would be one of the two fish in the tank- they all stay small at 2.5". However, the cost makes me want to shy away. How is the behavior in comparison to the 6 line? I heard a little more shy?

Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

http://www.liveaquar...043&pcatid=3043

White Banded Possum Wrasse

http://www.liveaquar...041&pcatid=3041

It would be nice to have a clown that would host the bta. One ocellaris perhaps. Though I've never cared for orange clownfish much and there's a change anyway it won't host.

But I also like this too.

Catalina Goby

http://www.liveaquar... 155&pcatid=155

Love the Catalina gobies but they're colder water fish - so might want to check that as I believe the temp has to be kept close to 70 if I'm remembering correctly! I love the possum wrasses.

Love the Catalina gobies but they're colder water fish - so might want to check that as I believe the temp has to be kept close to 70 if I'm remembering correctly! I love the possum wrasses.

Oh, I see what you mean. It said 77. It was actually 60-77 so nope!

Snow_Phoenix

I vote Tanaka's pygmy wrasse and a small neon goby. Would look beautiful. :lol:

And that BTA is gorgeous! I'm jealous! :wub:

Really sorry about Karat though, she was a great fish. :(

I vote Tanaka's pygmy wrasse and a small neon goby. Would look beautiful. :lol:

And that BTA is gorgeous! I'm jealous! :wub:

Really sorry about Karat though, she was a great fish. :(

I'm leaning towards the Tanaka as it's a brighter red color. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for a 10 gallon. I guess it'd be different if it was in a 40 w/ 5 other fish. I've had bad luck with the neon gobies though. I had two in my 34 and they didn't make it. such tiny mouths, was hard to get mine to eat.

Snow_Phoenix

I'm leaning towards the Tanaka as it's a brighter red color. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for a 10 gallon. I guess it'd be different if it was in a 40 w/ 5 other fish. I've had bad luck with the neon gobies though. I had two in my 34 and they didn't make it. such tiny mouths, was hard to get mine to eat.

Oh yes, forgot about their tiny mouths. Hmm...ever considered a slightly small species of blenny? Not necessarily a TSB but maybe one of these three?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+1871&pcatid=1871

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+3262&pcatid=3262

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2561&pcatid=2561

The last one looks really adorable. :)

Firefish are another option but they're jumpers. You could get a gumdrop coral croucher as well - those look quite unique and DD has them on occasion.

Ooooh a Possum wrasse would be awesome. The Tanaka's and White Banded are fish I've eyed for a long time. I finally decided that I'd just let my Yasha goby be the king (or queen) of my Nuvo 8 and not add any other fish to the system since it has been running so well.

Anyway, they are pretty shy. Opposite in personality from the 6-line. From what I've read and seen of them in stores, they definitely like to keep to the rockwork. I did see one earlier this week at the grungy LFS I dont normally go to (but was meeting a fellow reefer there to sell him something), that was out and about a lot and looked really good. It was tempting.

Another wrasse you could consider that would be in between the 6 line and the possum's in terms of personality is the Pink Streaked. I'm sure Gena will chime in on that one.

I second the pink streaked wrasse suggestion. I have one in my 10g (Fitzgerald). He's peaceful, pretty, and not overly shy. He isn't bothered by the clowns and he doesn't bother anybody else :)

Archived