Innovative Marine Aquariums

CHOOSING MY FIRST LED LIGHT

elusianzxelo

elusianzxelo

Hello guys,

My nano 28 CF has been running around 3 months now, and I decided it is time to upgrade the lighting, I am 100% sure that I will be getting an LED light next week, but I am not too sure which one to go with, I have been doing some research and the coral I will be having in my tank will be soft coral and LPS(staying away from SPS), here is couple of them I saw, anyone please give me some input on which one will be more suitable for my tank. I am seeking for more coloration as well as enough power to support the coral I am getting, I am also planning to get a maxima clam as well.

1. One Eco Tech Marine Radion XR15W Pro - USD399 plus the mount of USD89 = USD488

2. One Photon 16-W - USD360(include the mount)

3. One Reef Radiance Starfire - USD249

smeagol108

First, if u are looking at an xr15, why not go with a nanobox duo? This way if u ever decide to do sps at least your covered for sure.

If u only plan to keep softies and lps, why not go with an ai prime? Should be fine for your clam if he isn't all the way on the bottom.

What tank do u have? The dimensions will also help choose a light.

HarryPotter

First, if u are looking at an xr15, why not go with a nanobox duo? This way if u ever decide to do sps at least your covered for sure.

If u only plan to keep softies and lps, why not go with an ai prime? Should be fine for your clam if he isn't all the way on the bottom.

What tank do u have? The dimensions will also help choose a light.

Nano cube 28.

OP- the Radion Xr15 Pro will be more than enough- go with that. EcoTech marine is incredible

HarryPotter

JBJ nano cube 28 18" x 22" x 22" high.

I had a nanocube with a Radion. More than enough- I couldn't take it above 40%!!! (SPS)

smeagol108

I had a nanocube with a Radion. More than enough- I couldn't take it above 40%!!! (SPS)

If u are gonna spend 488 dollars on an eco tech light, not sure why you wouldn't consider an American hand made nanobox duo for 450. Time to find Daves comparison chart.

elusianzxelo

hummm... I see there is some differences on the rate, but I also did some research on the nanobox and I think I over heard about his shipping time frame because he is an one man crew and only does this on the weekend. I also notice that on his website that it will take him 1 to 2 weeks to make it, not too sure I would like to wait for that long. LOL =) But it seems like the other two I listed on top is out of the picture...haha.

smeagol108

Yes it does take one to two weeks but u have a hand made quality product. I mean technically his tide model stands up against the xr15. Wouldn't u need to buy a reef link too?

elusianzxelo

Naw you will not need a reef link unless you want to control wireless, let me get in contact with David and see how long it takes to make one.

outerorbiter

I'll vouch for Dave's product. I had a custom order and only took week and a half and that was with him sick.

elusianzxelo

I hoping i can get it asap..i might just pay addition for the 15pro...marine depot is by my house..:) pick it up in 15 mins

Radion XR15 would do fine for softies, an XR30 would be better, Hyrda TwentySix, or Kessil A360W would also be appropriate fixtures for that size of Tank especially if you have removed the top.

Yo harry..so u saying tha 15pro can handle sps as well? But with good growth?

The XR15 is meant to cover a 24" Square with strongest output in the center roughly 16" So if you were to ensure you had your SPS In the center of the tank and not next to the glass the XR15 would have no problems with SPS at all.

There are many LED fixtures that are out there that can light up your tank with excellent results. Nanobox, Hyrda, Radion, PAR38 bulbs, Kessil. Take the time and find the one that you REALLY like, all those brands will grow your corals with excellent results.

Better to take your time picking out a light rather than being in the rush you are in and then what happens few months down the road and you see something else that you like 10x's better? You just wasted $400+ on a lighting system you don't want anymore.

Another important consideration. How is the rock scape found to be setup?

One puck/array with several spires causes lots of harsh shadows.

Sometimes the fixture with more arrays turned down is better than a single turned higher.

Drop me a line. I may take a couple weeks but know you will love the unit. I would personally go with the DUO if you do choose that route.

Hope this helps!

hummm... I see there is some differences on the rate, but I also did some research on the nanobox and I think I over heard about his shipping time frame because he is an one man crew and only does this on the weekend. I also notice that on his website that it will take him 1 to 2 weeks to make it, not too sure I would like to wait for that long. LOL =) But it seems like the other two I listed on top is out of the picture...haha.

Use that week to get your rocks shaped up. It's worth the wait.

Marc.The.Shark

+1 for Dave's V3 boards. Nothing better for color mixing out there right now. Plus you'll get the wireless Bluefish built in & you can customize the color of the fixture to your liking. Worth the couple week wait & the DUO will grow anything you want down the line. Probably even pot if you decide to dismantle the tank! lol

If u are gonna spend 488 dollars on an eco tech light, not sure why you wouldn't consider an American hand made nanobox duo for 450. Time to find Daves comparison chart.

Is there a comparison bro.

Please share

Legendary Corals

If you're debating between the xr15 and dave's light, you do need to take the link into account since dave's units are controllable from your phone. I believe the mounts from Dave are included as well. And hey, lights are one of the biggest investments for a tank. Should get a personally made unit that only you will have. ;)

If you're debating between the xr15 and dave's light, you do need to take the link into account since dave's units are controllable from your phone. I believe the mounts from Dave are included as well. And hey, lights are one of the biggest investments for a tank. Should get a personally made unit that only you will have. ;)

Yea all true^ the phone feature is just awesome. Never mind the quality, if you look on my thread I have a good video that hasn't been altered at all and it shows the light off pretty well,it's one of the last 3 pages I believe as well as an unboxing video.

Well so his light is wireless as is? I domt know i semd him a message directly but no respond...and tha kind of worry me too on responding time..the wireless thing dont really brother me..is good to have..but as long i set up right the first time it be goodAmd also both lights are about 20 bucks differents right now Includimg the mount

Dave has excellent response time generally,trust me I've bought a few things from him,however he's pretty much doing the lights himself and it's the weekend,he will respond I can say that with full confidence, and will take the time to listen to your needs and what your expectations are for the light. I would easily buy another nanobox for any build I was going to do.

Archived