Pod Your Reef

Tangs?

isaacharry

Cencalfishguy56

Not trying to say I'm the man or anything haha. Thanks though. People get so butthurt over tangs in a smaller tank. Lets face it. NO FISH are "happy" in our tanks. But a tang in a 30-40 gallon tank isn't a terrible environment compared to the box they stay in at the fish store or wholesale facility. You'll never get me to buy into the fact that a smaller tang in a 30-40 gallon tank isn't ok. They can always be kept for a year or two and re-homed as well.

Couldn't agree more bud

Braap is the man, and Eff the tang police, a 1 inch tang in a 50 gallon fish tank will be more than suitable for at least a year

That's fine, Braap just didn't know anything about the overstocked tanks in Asia, which is legitimate animal cruelty.

Cencalfishguy56

That's fine, Braap just didn't know anything about the overstocked tanks in Asia, which is legitimate animal cruelty.

True way too many fish in a small place

I love how he preaches to know a meaning of a word when he clearly doesn't know jack about how Asia overstocks their tanks, having been there a few times myself I know. So practice what you preach about not knowing jack or sh*t. Asia countries are the same ones that put LIVE baby turtles in small plastic bags for a key chain and the colored water which is food coloring, helps them survive they say, I suppose you would believe that as well Braap?

You've got plenty of members here who have had fish for years and years which is proof the animals are living a healthy life in the echo system we create for them. Putting fish in smaller tanks that belong in large systems has been proven to stunt the animals growth and kill it, or stress them out and kill them.

This forum is here to provide people with the correct information to make sure they have the best reef system they can, take your childish comments elsewhere "GFY tang police". Why not give the right/correct information to new people to the hobby rather then have them waste money on a animal that will die premature.

See I knew this thread would get people all pissed off. I like how the OP bailed on it already. ^is just stupid he clearly cares more about animals then humans as his profile pic is of a missile on its way to wipe out people. Braaap has a valid point I cant believe any fish we put in our tanks are happy. But most are in a controlled environment with no predators and therefore will probably live longer than they would in the wild. It is unfortunate how this industry is in other countries. Personally I dont think a tang belongs in a tank. But again its just a fish! I have a clown that is probably 20+ years old when she dies its going down the toilet. I wont buy a funeral plot for it and will probably head to the LFS for a replacement. I know she is not happy in my tank she lets me know every time my hand goes into the tank. What should I do? fly her to what ever part of the world it came from and release her? Or do we ban keeping fish cause its cruel? Or do I give her good conditions to live in and food. The OP did not mention anything about the way the backwards ass people in Asia do things. Yeah they keep fish in what I think are cruel conditions but they also send their kids to work in sweat shops so we can have nice phones, computers, shoes, clothes, appliances, cars and on and on and on and on.

Yes my profile pic is of my ship that I currently serve on with the US Navy. Guessing you are one of those people who don't like military and all they do.

nanolutionary

Okay, this started off as a simple question and everybody got overly sensitive about it... relax people, i appreciate the opinions but if you are trying to be rude, then simply don't comment on the post.

Welcome to nano-reef.com

Yes my profile pic is of my ship that I currently serve on with the US Navy. Guessing you are one of those people who don't like military and all they do.

No sir. I respect what you do for our country and hope that missile made its target. I just find it a bit ironic that you have such strong feelings for fish. I hate most people and I think a drone strike is a win! But I also enjoy this hobby and some of the people I have met . Braaap was just making a good point. All and all putting a piece of the ocean in our house is probably not the best thing but we all do it. Hell we are humans and are at the top for now :lol:

Semi-seriously, what about a tang in a 50 gallon endless pool? It can then swim for miles and miles. Figure out a way with body tracking and water jets positioned all around the tank diameter to make it omni-directional, sorta like a fish Virtuix Omni or Cyberith Virutalizer, so it can stop, turn and swim in any direction. Not that this exists or that anyone would invest the monies needed to develop it...

Not trying to say I'm the man or anything haha. Thanks though. People get so butthurt over tangs in a smaller tank. Lets face it. NO FISH are "happy" in our tanks. But a tang in a 30-40 gallon tank isn't a terrible environment compared to the box they stay in at the fish store or wholesale facility. You'll never get me to buy into the fact that a smaller tang in a 30-40 gallon tank isn't ok. They can always be kept for a year or two and re-homed as well.

Well some fish could be, more studies need to be done. Clownish, shrimp gobies, and other mostly benthic fish that only live in small territories are more likely to be thriving in a 50 gallon tank than a tang that may swim for miles every day in the wild. Wholesale places and stores may only hold them for a few days, which is completely different. Re homing is fine, although catching them can be a PITA. Filtration should be considered as cleaner water/more water movement probably helps when keeping fish like tangs. Still better than the ####face ##### that keep goldfish in bowls until their stunted, inbred bodies give up.

Semi-seriously, what about a tang in a 50 gallon endless pool? It can then swim for miles and miles. Figure out a way with body tracking and water jets positioned all around the tank diameter to make it omni-directional, sorta like a fish Virtuix Omni or Cyberith Virutalizer, so it can stop, turn and swim in any direction. Not that this exists or that anyone would invest the monies needed to develop it...

Interesting idea.... :o

I love how he preaches to know a meaning of a word when he clearly doesn't know jack about how Asia overstocks their tanks, having been there a few times myself I know. So practice what you preach about not knowing jack or sh*t. Asia countries are the same ones that put LIVE baby turtles in small plastic bags for a key chain and the colored water which is food coloring, helps them survive they say, I suppose you would believe that as well Braap?

You've got plenty of members here who have had fish for years and years which is proof the animals are living a healthy life in the echo system we create for them. Putting fish in smaller tanks that belong in large systems has been proven to stunt the animals growth and kill it, or stress them out and kill them.

This forum is here to provide people with the correct information to make sure they have the best reef system they can, take your childish comments elsewhere "GFY tang police". Why not give the right/correct information to new people to the hobby rather then have them waste money on a animal that will die premature.

If anyone here is a child it would be yourself. You are the only one trying to bash people. The "GFY" thing is a nano - reef joke. If you checked in here more often then to bitch at people you'd see that. Even I have in my short time here.

just to clarify guys, all i asked was if i can do this or not... This didn't have to turn to people attacking each other its a yes or no question, stop wasting your time writing stupid things on this post.

when you go to a LFS they keep many tangs in a very small tank, Obviously this is bad for them but putting a small tang in a 50 gallon tanks is more than enough.

Now as for the puffer fish or seahorse, i never said i will put them together i was asking between the three fish which would you recommend.

I decided to go with a baby white spot toby, and two clownfish. Now please no one continue commenting or saying that puffer fish is going to eat your clownfish because it won't.

Thank You

The top puffer should be fine with the clowns. See if you can teach it to hand feed, that would be sweet. It may or may not eat corals, varies from each fish.

Sea horses I would stay away from, they aren't cheap or easy, and take a lot of attention from what I've heard. The tang should be fine in the 50 with the clowns and puffer.

Manbearfish

We can adapt the Occulus Rift or Google Glass or something to be used with fish and we just strap it on them and have it display images of the real ocean, they'll never even know ;)

The top puffer should be fine with the clowns. See if you can teach it to hand feed, that would be sweet. It may or may not eat corals, varies from each fish.

Sea horses I would stay away from, they aren't cheap or easy, and take a lot of attention from what I've heard. The tang should be fine in the 50 with the clowns and puffer.

Yeah, the flow would be too low to keep corals, and my LFS actually keeps certain puffer with corals so it learns not to touch them :)

Puffers don't eat corals, they eat inverts such as shrimp. Tobies are fine with clowns. LFSs only house fish in small tanks because they're only there for a short period of time, it's like a QT tank.

Archived