Cultivated Reef

Aquarium stand for 29 gallon display with 29 gallon sump

fish12345

I am building a stand for my 29 gallon tank that will have a 29 gallon sump. The trouble I am having is planning a stand that will fit and support both tanks. I want the display tank to be adequately supported by the stand but that is difficult to do while fitting a tank of equal dimension underneath. Since I have to make it slightly larger to fit the tank underneath, the tank above will not rest directly on the outside of the frame. Has anyone run into a problem like this or does anyone have a solution to my problem?

currently going through the same. the answer is simple, really. You can make 2 supprts running vertically on the top frame

stand-build3.jpg

(not my stand, mine currently has a cluster%$#% more screws)

then cut a 1/2 inch plywood and make the top.

that's what i'm currently doing with my stand

QfpBPEw.jpg?2

I ended up doing this. It isn't done yet but here is the jist of it. I extended the end 6 inches on each side. This will give me space to put things down on the stand such as cleaning equipment, food, refractometer, etc while I am working on the tank. The tank itself is going to end up on the end of the inside supports. I will place 4 more 2x4s directly underneath those supports and one more in the middle in the back. Then I will put 1/2 inch plywood on the top and bottom to hold the sump and display. I also extended it rearward to 17.5 inches. This will give me 2.5 inches to fit the sump in the side. Using lag screws, the supports will have no problem holding the weight and transferring it to the frame and then into the legs. The legs on the 4 corners are not going to be load bearing but they are structural and this will give me much more room inside the stand. The overall height of the stand is 35 inches which puts the top of the tank at 53 or so inches. There is 28 inches of space between the upper and lower frame which leaves 10 inches to get into the sump and work on anything in there. This stand will be heavy and overbuilt but I am confident it will hold the weight of the tanks. There will be about 50 inches of head pressure so i hope to get about 200 gph from my mag 5 return pump.

• 3 weeks later...

QfpBPEw.jpg?2

I ended up doing this. It isn't done yet but here is the jist of it. I extended the end 6 inches on each side. This will give me space to put things down on the stand such as cleaning equipment, food, refractometer, etc while I am working on the tank. The tank itself is going to end up on the end of the inside supports. I will place 4 more 2x4s directly underneath those supports and one more in the middle in the back. Then I will put 1/2 inch plywood on the top and bottom to hold the sump and display. I also extended it rearward to 17.5 inches. This will give me 2.5 inches to fit the sump in the side. Using lag screws, the supports will have no problem holding the weight and transferring it to the frame and then into the legs. The legs on the 4 corners are not going to be load bearing but they are structural and this will give me much more room inside the stand. The overall height of the stand is 35 inches which puts the top of the tank at 53 or so inches. There is 28 inches of space between the upper and lower frame which leaves 10 inches to get into the sump and work on anything in there. This stand will be heavy and overbuilt but I am confident it will hold the weight of the tanks. There will be about 50 inches of head pressure so i hope to get about 200 gph from my mag 5 return pump.

AnyAny updated pics?

Archived