inTank Media Baskets

API ammonia test kit question

PDR

So from what I have read almost everyone says the api ammonia test kit is not that accurate and usually reads .25 even when at 0. But on the flip side no one really seems to like any other ammonia kit for that matter lol.

I typically get a 0 reading on my 10 gallon, but in its 6 month life I have tested it at random several times and gotten a .25 reading. All fish and corals were fine. I did a water change and detoxed with prime and got it back down to 0 in a couple of days.

My question is, do you think my tank actual had an ammonia spike randomly (nothing dead or added), or is this just the api test kit being weird?

The API Test kit is screwy with the 0 Shade on the card it is completely wrong, but it usually doesnt appear to be .25ppm its a tad off from that. The way to know is get some distilled or Rodi water & Mix with Salt / or freshly mixed Salt water that is. Do an ammonia test on that wait the 5 minutes for color to set, now do the same test in a different vile on your tank and let sit for 5 min as well. Out the Viles next to eachother for comparison, if they match your still at 0 any variance you have trace ammonia.

I've used API ammonia tests for years and don't get false 0.25 ppm readings when ammonia isn't elevated. However, I agree that the color chart isn't an exact match. Lighting, viewing angle, how well the reagents are shaken, etc. can also have an effect on the color comparison. Sometimes it's easier to take a picture of the vial and card, as the camera interprets color more literally (which is why pictures of our tanks look bluer than what we visually perceive).

People use API ammonia test kits because they are relatively inexpensive and generally serve their purpose. Plus, it's not a test that we often use after the cycle has become established. However, you could use other kits (like Salifert) if you prefer.

Archived