Top Shelf Aquatics

Chance of this Devil's Hand Recovering?

charnelhouse

charnelhouse

I have had this leather for a year. It was fine in our previous tank, a 6 gallon, until I introduced a sinularia. It has never been happy since then. I'm fairly certain that allelopathy with the sinularia in the 6 gallon was the problem.

They have both been relocated to our current Fusion 40. The sinularia is fine, but the Devil's Hand is just limping along. It seems to improve for a few days then goes back to shrunken. It's been in the new tank for about a month. My inclination is to continue to leave it alone, just want to get some opinions on whether it can come back or not.

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics, best I can get.

2015-07-01%2018.14.51_zpsqeaxs1pg.jpg

2015-07-01%2018.14.44_zpslpzar8ti.jpg

2015-07-01%2018.14.35_zpsvye3if8f.jpg

2015-07-01%2018.14.09_zpsiuhtwkdn.jpg

If he's not rotting away, I'd say the chances of recovery for most leathers is very good. I've had them stay pissed off for 3-4 weeks, so be patient.

opaquelace

If you're worried that the base is rotting cut it where the flesh is healthy and reattach it to something else.

Slowtwitch

Allelopathy is a biological phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms.

What is this "allelopathy" that I've read twice today?

Allelopathy is a biological phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms.

One more question... Do corals in our tanks just do this all the time? Or is this more of a warfare from being too close kind of situation?

Slowtwitch

One more question... Do corals in our tanks just do this all the time? Or is this more of a warfare from being too close kind of situation?

Some do it more than others. Leathers are kind of known for it.

charnelhouse

If you're worried that the base is rotting cut it where the flesh is healthy and reattach it to something else.

I'm not sure if that's what I'm worried about or not. Does it look like it is? If the base is turning dark does that for sure mean it's rotting? I've read about black being bad, but there is no black on this thing, just some darkening. I don't want to cut it unless I really need too.

A little of both from what I have read. Proximity is definitely a trigger though. Carbon is a good antidote for coral chemical warfare.

opaquelace

I'm not sure if that's what I'm worried about or not. Does it look like it is? If the base is turning dark does that for sure mean it's rotting? I've read about black being bad, but there is no black on this thing, just some darkening. I don't want to cut it unless I really need too.

A little of both from what I have read. Proximity is definitely a trigger though. Carbon is a good antidote for coral chemical warfare.

It could have gotten stung by something maybe. My sinularia got stung once by my frogspawn. Had some nasty black spots but did fine.

charnelhouse

It could have gotten stung by something maybe. My sinularia got stung once by my frogspawn. Had some nasty black spots but did fine.

I think for now I'm just going to leave it alone and see if it pulls through on its own.

Archived