Top Shelf Aquatics

Light settings for biocube 29

blkhwkz

Going to hopefully install my retro into my biocube 29 today after I hear back from Dave on a question. Trying to figure out what I should set the lights at for acclimation. Currently have some zoas, paly, xenia, mushrooms, torch and frog spawn in there. Plan on ramping things up slowly over a few weeks. Thought I would get some opinions from people who know way more than me since this is my first reef tank.

I just installed on my BC 29 - I started at 30% whites and blues and use natural sunlight setting and mirror sunrise. I'm increasing about 5% per week. I actually started at 35% and lowered it when I noticed some bleaching

Thanks. 30-35% was right about where I was thinking I should start. Think I'll start at 30 just to be cautious, can't hurt starting a little lower and working my way up.

Thanks. 30-35% was right about where I was thinking I should start. Think I'll start at 30 just to be cautious, can't hurt starting a little lower and working my way up.

Here's the page on my thread with the settings and advice from JediMasterBen.

• 2 weeks later...

So after some unforeseen issues, finally got my nanobox retro installed today. I work from home, while the tank is downstairs I see it throughout the day. My old lighting schedule for the timers on the stock lighting were:

930am - actinic lights only

1030am-830pm - actinic and whites

830pm-930pm -actinic and moonlight

930pm-2am - moonlight only

So this is how I configured the bluefish to start, not sure if these are good settings or not. Took some info from the post from jedismasterben and changed percentages to acclimate things to the new lights. My simulated location is Nasori, Fiji. I enabled dynamic sunrise, but not sunset. I also enabled natural sun, clouds, storms, lunar cycles.

Screenshot_2015-07-10-23-30-06.pngScreenshot_2015-07-10-23-30-16.pngScreenshot_2015-07-10-23-30-26.pngScreenshot_2015-07-10-23-30-35.png

So after some unforeseen issues, finally got my nanobox retro installed today. I work from home, while the tank is downstairs I see it throughout the day. My old lighting schedule for the timers on the stock lighting were:

930am - actinic lights only

1030am-830pm - actinic and whites

830pm-930pm -actinic and moonlight

930pm-2am - moonlight only

So this is how I configured the bluefish to start, not sure if these are good settings or not. Took some info from the post from jedismasterben and changed percentages to acclimate things to the new lights. My simulated location is Nasori, Fiji. I enabled dynamic sunrise, but not sunset. I also enabled natural sun, clouds, storms, lunar cycles.

Looks like a good start. Is the tank new or corals in there?

Corals have been in there since end of May when tank finished cycling. Zoas, paly, mushrooms, and xenias so far.

That will be more than enough then. You could also bump the blues if you want a more "pop".

-D

• 1 month later...

Hey blkhwkz, where do you have your daytime settings at present?

After bleaching a couple of frags I dialed my lights back from where I had them before adding coral and now sit at 43% blue, 18% white. Everything seems to be responding well to that over the last couple of weeks and I'm liking the color. Curious to know where you're at presently.

Thanks!

Hey blkhwkz, where do you have your daytime settings at present?

After bleaching a couple of frags I dialed my lights back from where I had them before adding coral and now sit at 43% blue, 18% white. Everything seems to be responding well to that over the last couple of weeks and I'm liking the color. Curious to know where you're at presently.

Thanks!

Well it's embarrassing to admit, but I recently realized I had made a stupid mistake when setting them up. Just hadn't take the 10 seconds to look and fix them. So I have them set 65% blue, 35% white for mid-day, everything else is the same as above (moons set to 0.1% not blues like screenshot shows.) When I tested the lights I plugged the bluefish mini in skipping the first set of pins like you are supposed to. When I put it in the stand I forgot to skip the first pins, so it's been running white for the blues. Explains why I was not happy with the color. I was just sidetracked with things to look at it until about a week ago. Now it is quite blue like expected, and I am not seeing any issues or bleaching. For what it's worth had no issues with mostly white light either. In fact I have a set of god of war palys that went from 4 heads to 14 in under a month and I saw more today. Multiple other corals growing really well too. An utter chaos I had messed up and killed 1 polyp went from 1 large polyp to 4. Those 3 new polyps are not opening yet but should be soon.

I am just going to leave the settings are they are for next few weeks and see how things look. If things look good I will go up 5% again.

Thanks for the info, blkhwkz.

I'm nowhere near getting that high but seeing good growth in most corals. I'll just do some gradual increases and see how things respond.

Thanks for the info, blkhwkz.

I'm nowhere near getting that high but seeing good growth in most corals. I'll just do some gradual increases and see how things respond.

You can read info after info on the forums about what to do. I have always said, what works for you! If corals are responding fine, keep them happy!

You can read info after info on the forums about what to do. I have always said, what works for you! If corals are responding fine, keep them happy!

Yeah... I'm letting the corals be my guide. I'm mostly curious to know where others are at.

Archived