Coral Vue Hydros

Minute of madness

cube head

So a brief history: I started keeping tanks in 1987 with FOWLR and stayed the course until I would say nineish years give or take a couple months. I then dove into the reef realm until 2007 when I broke it all down and got out of the hobby 100%.

Well, run back to 2012 and I was itching for some water once again in my home to enjoy. I went in a different direction with a planted freshie, I dove in fully as I do with everything and here I am it's 2015 three years later when I had a "minute of madness".

Anyway I started rooting around in the attic and found the only things I kept from my salt days, a 46 gal bow front stand along with two 150W MH sunpod fixtures (wont be using). I grabbed a new 46B and what I like to call a Home shopping network moment, and many dollars later I have just about everything I need for the new plan.

So I will keep this thread updated as I go for anyone who is interested. :blink:

The first of a pic heavy thread for sure.

The beginning still to be broken down 36B plated, and the new 46B which will takes it place:

20150701_222052_zpsg1qmgioe.jpg

FlowerMama

Yep, they always say never sell your stuff because the ocean never leaves you. You always come back. Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Yep, they always say never sell your stuff because the ocean never leaves you. You always come back. Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

No doubt been at this for 27 years but haven't had a salt set up in the last 8, I figured it was time. Well, I made a little progress today and got the tank drilled, bulkheads, and overflow installed.

20150703_223256_zpsg9un25rz.jpg

The first bits showed today as well next is modifying the stand to fit the sump, bow fronts suck for this. So until next time... :unsure:

20150703_232440_zpsyyx5qwil.jpg

So the sump is in place man there is a not a lot of room in there. I removed the center brace for the stand and made up an LVL type beam with a steel center to take up the load seeing as how I wont be replacing it. Next is painting the back of the tank ( color undecided) and plumbing. I'm also ripping out all the carpet and laying hardwood floors before this tank is filled. omgomgomg

20150704_182324_zpspdkev0od.jpg

Yep reno started about a year ago and this is the last room to lay floors in due to the fact of the planted tank that's still running. Oh look you're in Asheville I have spent a ton of time over at Uwaharrie. B) Anyway, got the tank back painted today and went with black, turned out pretty damn good which I'm surprised as it like a soup bowl outside right now. I also should note to anyone interested that I will be putting up two brand spankin new Kessil A150 sky blue fixtures for sale soon. The A150 Amazon suns were great for the planted tank but I can see these wont cut the mustard for the new set up so I just placed an order for two A360W Kessil's. So once again until the next installment.... :blink:

So got the support beam completed and mocked into place. This beef beam should cary the load no problem. All I need to do is take it back apart and get some paint/stain on it and bolt it into place. I also should say a good word for trigger Systems on building a nice looking sump that actually fits into a 46B stand, albeit some minor modification.

Well, the carpet comes out and Im laying the hardwood this w/e so I should be able to run a fresh water leak down test in about two weeks.....

20150707_193052_zps4xs3udpj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Newest update: Got all the carpet up and laid the new hardwood floors so Im getting closer to having water once again. I still need to install the shoe mold on the base trim but that wont be bad. I also plumbed in the over flow so one less thing to do. B)

Still need to slap some paint on the new stand supports I think thats next?

20150716_211045_zpsilctux4f.jpg

Thanks I think they turned out pretty nice eh! I tell ya sucks getting older I pulled all the carpet and laid the hardwood in 12 hours last Saturday, my legs were shot for the next 3 days. I also got my return pump in yesterday Reef Octo DC pump I cant wait to see how it does so much has changed since I had my last reef tank..

Started filling last night @ 10pm.....Just as bad as watching paint dry, maybe worse.

The good news is its almost there...

20150718_192600_zpsahhbj9l7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been two weeks now and just starting to register ammonia. I forgot how painful it is to wait out the cycle hopefully in another 3 weeks it will have finished up.

20150802_205559_zpsqm0r1dqr.jpg

HarryPotter

So it's been two weeks now and just starting to register ammonia. I forgot how painful it is to wait out the cycle hopefully in another 3 weeks it will have finished up.

20150802_205559_zpsqm0r1dqr.jpg

You didn't put in some shrimp or ammonia to start?

You didn't put in some shrimp or ammonia to start?

Went the flake rout hence the extra time plus some of the rock and sand were from an established tank.

I was very surprised to see a bowfront tank when your username is cube head. Anyway, i love bowfront and i am jealous of your 46g as mine is only 36g. It's looking good.

Don't feel bad about getting older, (I have 10 years on you and flower mama) and focus on what we have gained rather than what we are losing!

Dont be to Jealous the 36B is a fine set up thats what I had as my planted tank. As for the UN "Cube Head" here's a shot of my old 30 cube Oceanic from yesteryear on here.

gallery_18043_2_1356252261_23477.jpg

Oh dont get me wrong no problem in aging its just everything has now begun to hurt in the morning!!! :angry:

I wish I could tell you that mornings get better but I can't. I can say that I look forward to my morning cup of coffee even more than I used to!

Actually I love my 36g bowfront. I like having the depth the bowed glass gives.

I was very surprised to see a bowfront tank when your username is cube head. Anyway, i love bowfront and i am jealous of your 46g as mine is only 36g. It's looking good.

Don't feel bad about getting older, (I have 10 years on you and flower mama) and focus on what we have gained rather than what we are losing!

I like that thought. I might be gaining a house in 4 mos if all goes well. : ) I just have to ask some more questions on this piece of land.

I like that thought. I might be gaining a house in 4 mos if all goes well. : ) I just have to ask some more questions on this piece of land.

I wish you the best on your potential house, FlowerMama!

• 2 weeks later...

So after a month of cycling I'm ready to move in the first tenants! B)

IMG_4985_zpsfirgblrj.jpg

Say hello these two have some great personality....

IMG_4984_zpsiysycgww.jpg

It's gonna be tough waiting a few months before I start adding corals. The next project is to build an equipment cabinet to sit next to the tank stay tuned!

Archived