SaltCritters.com

NEWBIE BioCube 29 Questions

corbyone

Hello all-

This place is a fantastic reference and it appears to be full of helpful people that are willing to share their knowledge. I am an MMO gamer and a work with technology so I am familiar with how divisive online communities can be, so kudos to the community.

I've always wanted a SW tank and we have a limited space in our condo (S. FLA) so we have been looking at the BioCube 29. I'd love to have a bigger tank but its just not in the cards now. So my primary question is the BC 29 a good way to get into the salt water hobby (never really had a tank of any kind other than Beta fish in a bowl) or is it just a waste as some of the local pet stores have been telling me? Go Big or go home most of them have said.

Also, I read some of the beginner's sections threads and searched for BioCube threads and have read/learned a ton and while it was very useful info and I love the all modding the community has demonstrated some of that is very daunting for a newb like myself. One of the draws of the BC is the AIO concept. Can the BC be setup (successfully) without these mods?

Thanks in advance for any info, tips, suggestions, they will all be appreciated.

IMO the biocube is a little dated, especially the lighting it comes with.

Innovative marine AIOs seem to be the 'in' thing right now, and you can buy it tank only and choose your lights.

Do you have a budget?

IMO the biocube is a little dated, especially the lighting it comes with.

Innovative marine AIOs seem to be the 'in' thing right now, and you can buy it tank only and choose your lights.

Do you have a budget?

Not per say... but I was willing to spend $399 for the Biocube 29 ($259) w/ stand ($139).

The biocube lights are PCs and up until 2 weeks ago, I was running those with success. However, I did change out:

Pump

Bioballs for media basket

added extra flow with hydor powerheads

Added a skimmer etc. etc.

The only thing I didn't like about the biocube from the start was the lights - they run hot with the tight fitting cover and the fans to cool the unit are loud. However, as mentioned above, I just swapped out for retro-fit LEDs by NanoBox. Which, believe me, I'm not handy and I found them easy to install.

But I do think the BioCube is a great way to get started with some very easy mods in the beginning such as swapping bioballs for one of the InTank media baskets.

Hope this helps!

Have you joined a local forum? People are usually giving away Bio cubes for next to nothing on my local forum. The Bio cube is a great starter tank. But you will find out quickly that the glass box you choose is going to be the least expensive thing you buy. There are better options out there, the bio cube is a bit dated. IM and Cadlights make some descent comparable priced tanks. If I were a newb with your budget I would seriously look at this package. http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_20_Gallon_NUVO_Fusion_Nano_Aquarium_Premium_Starter_Kit_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_20_29_Gallons-Innovative_Marine-0I10505-FIAQNCCKTLTT-vi.html

I would ask what kind of T5 light he is using.

He sold it already, but thanks.

Have you joined a local forum? People are usually giving away Bio cubes for next to nothing on my local forum. The Bio cube is a great starter tank. But you will find out quickly that the glass box you choose is going to be the least expensive thing you buy. There are better options out there, the bio cube is a bit dated. IM and Cadlights make some descent comparable priced tanks. If I were a newb with your budget I would seriously look at this package. http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_20_Gallon_NUVO_Fusion_Nano_Aquarium_Premium_Starter_Kit_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_20_29_Gallons-Innovative_Marine-0I10505-FIAQNCCKTLTT-vi.html

Yeah I've looked at that and I do like it alot but its more money than I was looking to spend on the tank. Its $399 and I would still need to buy a stand, as I don't have one. As you said the "glass box" is the lowest expanseise :D. I was at another lfs (much nicer and helpful people) that has a lot of SW gear and stuff, infact I will probably go there to get my water and live rocks as its less than a min from my house. They had JBJ 28G Nano cube for $399 w/ free stand and the JBJ 28G Nano cubeLED for $460 also with free stand. But I found better reviwes for the Biocube which is why I was leaning that way.

I was also on craigslist and noticed a few biocubes there. This one they guy is asking for $300, but I'm leary of buying someones elses headache and I may lern more by setting it up myslef? What do you guys think.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/for/5094933512.html

i sold my 3 month old biocube for 100.keep on looking or check your local reefer society.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see if I can finda a lcoal forums and/or society to check out, probably be another good resource. As for a used tank/setup I just dont know if I want to go used with my 1st tank, i would hate to deal with someone elses problems.

HarryPotter

I was also on craigslist and noticed a few biocubes there. This one they guy is asking for $300, but I'm leary of buying someones elses headache and I may lern more by setting it up myslef? What do you guys think.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/for/5094933512.html

hey dude- I'm local and have a NanoCube you could have for free. Just gotta get rid of it- but its in perfect condition, and I have the stand as well. Tank is perfect, and the stand has a few holes from the chiller lines but is an easy repair.

hey dude- I'm local and have a NanoCube you could have for free. Just gotta get rid of it- but its in perfect condition, and I have the stand as well. Tank is perfect, and the stand has a few holes from the chiller lines but is an easy repair.

PM Sent.

PM Sent.

Nanoreef.com, getting shit done. (Harry too)

HarryPotter

No pgoblrm. All you would need is an AI prime ($200), and you'd be set up with an awesome 29.

I can toss in a heater, floss, power head, rock, etc. help clean out my bathroom!

That's a hell of a deal there. Very generous of you Harry.

Since you don't have to spend the money on the tank and such I'd spring for a good led setup like everyone else said. Not sure if it has a hood or not but if it does I'd check out the NanoBox retro fit for the bio cube. Pretty much bolts right up from what I've seen. I have a small retro on my 15g and I love it. They are killer lights and Daves a hell of a guy.

Don't know much about the hanging lights but the AI Primes and NanoBox Tides get recommended a lot.

That's a hell of a deal there. Very generous of you Harry.

Since you don't have to spend the money on the tank and such I'd spring for a good led setup like everyone else said. Not sure if it has a hood or not but if it does I'd check out the NanoBox retro fit for the bio cube. Pretty much bolts right up from what I've seen. I have a small retro on my 15g and I love it. They are killer lights and Daves a hell of a guy.

Don't know much about the hanging lights but the AI Primes and NanoBox Tides get recommended a lot.

Thanks for the tips. I picked up the tank (et al) yesterday and I agree, Thanks again Harry. I went with the Nano Box retro has I need the hood, for now at least. I have 2 small kids (2 and 5) and my 2 year old would try to through things in the tank.

Thanks for the tips. I picked up the tank (et al) yesterday and I agree, Thanks again Harry. I went with the Nano Box retro has I need the hood, for now at least. I have 2 small kids (2 and 5) and my 2 year old would try to through things in the tank.

Nice I love my NanoBox retro. I know the feeling about the hood. I left the hood on my AIO also because we have a two year old and one that's about to start walking. Can't wait to see some pics of it.

Nice I love my NanoBox retro. I know the feeling about the hood. I left the hood on my AIO also because we have a two year old and one that's about to start walking. Can't wait to see some pics of it.

In my case, I had to keep the hood as I had fish that are known to go carpet diving!

BTW, I have an original BC29 that has been goin' now for 7 years. It's still goin' strong!

HarryPotter

No problem- good luck! You should be all set- the rock, powerhead, pumps, stand, tank, media basket, etc. Just toss in some water and the rocks, plug everything in, and get cycling! :)

In my case, I had to keep the hood as I had fish that are known to go carpet diving!

BTW, I have an original BC29 that has been goin' now for 7 years. It's still goin' strong!

Well my 2 year old thinks his stuffed Nemo toy should be living in there and gets mad that "I won't let him go home".

Archived