Coral Vue Hydros

Need advice

Pbalz18ka

I have recently started a 9 gallon nano that is doing fantastic I also have a 180 fowlr and need some advice I know this mostly a nano forum but really need some help. I ordered a golden puffer online without review seller to realize he has a lot of complaints and most reveiws complain of sick fish I do not have an established qt tank what should I do when this fish arrives I do not want to add directly to my tank I had pondered a freshwater dip be adding it any thoughts

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

If it's what I think it is probably an expensive fish. In all honesty you should be able to set up a simple QT for $20 or so... Just keep it simple!

Check craigslist for a cheap tank or get a cheap AGA from walmart or petco or something. There might even be a $/gallon sale happening now.

Also do some research and find out what kinds of ailments these fish commonly come in with and what meds they're sensitive to. Be proactive and have some on hand - a few $ worth of medications can help prevent an outbreak of something in your 180g.

If you're buddies with anyone else with a QT setup you could always ask/pay them to use their "facilities" as well.

Ok on qt tank money is no issue to buy one but if it is not established will it support a fish if that size to keep alive for that period of time was my worry I actually have a 30 gallon tank in dry storage

righttirefire

I run a 10 gallon with an ac50 and 50watt preset 78 degree heater. Got the whole thing minus the filter $10 at garage sale. The ac50 I had. I have 2 sponge filters in my sump of my main tank, "established" bio-filter. And use the filter when I set up qt. Put a new filter into my sump and toss the filter out of qt as needed. Any bio-filter out of your main tank will work in qt. Floss, cut a filter sock, whatever your mechanical filter is its cheaper. I personally like to use seachem prime as well.

I run water out of my main system into my qt tank. About 1/2 gallon a day. And replenished my main tank with new salt water.

Best of luck

Archived