SaltCritters.com

Aquarium Safe Sunscreen?

yoshii

Is there such a thing?

I've seen the biodegradable "reef safe" sunscreen, but I wouldn't put it in my tank.

It's summer and I need sunscreen but I stick my hands/arms in fish tanks almost everyday

Verified Purchase

DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE DIVING/SNORKELING/SWIMMING IN REEFS!!!
This product is NOT safe for corals (will cause coral bleaching)!

Being a soon-to-be marine ecologist, I wanted a sunscreen that would be SAFE FOR REEFS. Especially since I was going to be scuba diving in the already-degraded Caribbean reefs. Unfortunately, I ordered two bottles of this only to get them in the mail and realize that they ARE NOT reef safe.

This sunscreen contains 6.0% OXYBENZONE as an active ingredient. For those that do not know, oxybenzone is a chemical know to harm the fragile coral that composed reefs and it is suspected to have very negative health aspects.
It also contains 7.5% OCTINOXATE, another compound known to have harmful effects on corals and people.

The "reef-safe" test only is for fish NOT for corals (i.e. they tested this product on animals to determine whether or not it would kill the fish). While fish are important in a reef ecosystem, corals are much more sensitive to disturbances.

I will never buy this sunscreen again and I am quite appalled that they are trying to market it as something specifically for people that want to protect reefs and are looking for "earth-friendly" products! Stick with safer zinc-based sunscreen people! I, personally, will be going to go with Badger sunscreen from now on (http://www.badgerbalm.com/s-35-coral-reef-safe-sunscreen.aspx).

Can't go wrong with the zinc based cream - it's what I try to get though admittedly not because of any perceived environmental benefit...

jamescstein

Best you can do is get good about washing your hands good before you jam them in your tank... or get some long arm gloves.

I would not risk it with any sunblock that says reef safe. You might have to adjust your schedule and do your tank work before venturing outside for the day. I try not to stick my hands in my tank every day, give the little guys a break! :D

Best you can do is get good about washing your hands good before you jam them in your tank... or get some long arm gloves.

I would not risk it with any sunblock that says reef safe. You might have to adjust your schedule and do your tank work before venturing outside for the day. I try not to stick my hands in my tank every day, give the little guys a break! :D

I actually don't have my hands in my own tanks that often. The problem is I work at a LFS and I am always putting my hands and arms in the tanks there :/

Yomon, you are probably right, there is probably no such product :(

Yomon, you are probably right, there is probably no such product :(

Long sleeve shirt when you go outside. :)

But seriously. You should be able to use any sunscreen and then wash with normal dawn dishsoap to remove it before placing your hands/arms inside the tank.

Long sleeve shirt when you go outside. :)

But seriously. You should be able to use any sunscreen and then wash with normal dawn dishsoap to remove it before placing your hands/arms inside the tank.

I think I own 1 long sleeve shirt. That I never wear

Since most sunscreens are waterproof, you think that would get all of it off? I'm worried about residues

My personally never wear sun screen, I always am wearing long sleeved jackets so I don't get the sun on me. Its kinda funny because if you look closely at my arms there is a tan line where my fingers begin on the top of my hand lol.

Come on don't be a baby lol, your internal temperature is around 98.6° F, I make sure to carry water bottles at all times when its hot so I don't get heat stroke.

Yeah I'd like to keep that as my internal temperature, not external temperature!

I guess I could just keep the sunscreen to my shoulders/neck. Luckily I don't burn, but my arms are now more tan than anywhere else haha

long ass rubber gloves. I got some paly toxin in my eye's awhile back. Plus I work on cars and my hands are usually covered in car gunk. I also have to wear sunscreen from time to time. Its like when I was single no glove no love :D

• 9 months later...

Hijacking thread...

I just put my hand/arm in my tank, and I sprayed it with sunscreen about 10 hours ago while at work. I totally forgot to wash my hands since I was in a rush to get stuff done.

My tank is a fusion 20 gal, running, CPE, Purigen, FF, Skimmer, and fuge. My torch has closed up a little but thats it.

How bad is it really?

let me add, Ive washed my hands about 10 times since putting it on but I've never washed my arm.

Hammerstone

long ass rubber gloves. I got some paly toxin in my eye's awhile back. Plus I work on cars and my hands are usually covered in car gunk. I also have to wear sunscreen from time to time. Its like when I was single no glove no love :D

you always crack me up lol! I needed the laugh!!!?

Hijacking thread...

I just put my hand/arm in my tank, and I sprayed it with sunscreen about 10 hours ago while at work. I totally forgot to wash my hands since I was in a rush to get stuff done.

My tank is a fusion 20 gal, running, CPE, Purigen, FF, Skimmer, and fuge. My torch has closed up a little but thats it.

How bad is it really?

let me add, Ive washed my hands about 10 times since putting it on but I've never washed my arm.

I would run extra carbon and it doesnt hurt to do a water change

Archived