Cultivated Reef

can someone ID this coral?

Frannsfish

i got this coral although no one in the shop knew what it was as the coral staff weren't there, i've been searching for corals online for something that looks like it but haven't been able to find anything. can someone please help me ID it?

post-88471-0-09062600-1435511523_thumb.jpg

post-88471-0-59150800-1435511534_thumb.jpg

I think it might be an encrusting Bryzoan or a Botrylloid tunicate colony rather than a coral. Either are filter feeders that are rather difficult to keep in capitivity.

It was in among a tank of soft coral when i bought and the people just assumed it was probably a sponge. It is soft but very heavy and it changes from having what looks a bit like veins over it to just being the dots with holes in. I got it Wednesday last week and the bits which died during transportation have grown back now.

I have also noticed that there may be something living in the large vent like holes.

It was only £25 which is why i bought it, but become a bit curious on what it is.

jamescstein

+1 rock covered in a tunicate colony. There are critters that will live inside tunicates and sponges. I've got a couple of largish tunicates and watch amphipods go in them all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived