Innovative Marine Aquariums

GFO Reactor with Chaeto Fuge?

uwdanno

Hola.

I have seen a spike in phosphates over the last couple weeks. I feed corals and fish regularly so I am not surprised.

In my fusion 20 I currently have a chamber of healthy, growing Chaeto. Unfortunately the Fuge alone isnt keeping phosphates low enough.

Question is- is it a bad idea to run GFO while also using macro algea? Would the GFO/reactor starve the Chaeto??

Thanks

Hola.

I have seen a spike in phosphates over the last couple weeks. I feed corals and fish regularly so I am not surprised.

In my fusion 20 I currently have a chamber of healthy, growing Chaeto. Unfortunately the Fuge alone isnt keeping phosphates low enough.

Question is- is it a bad idea to run GFO while also using macro algea? Would the GFO/reactor starve the Chaeto??

Thanks

Nope been running GFO and Chaeto for almost a year now. I throw away a cinder block of Chaeto every month.

Nope been running GFO and Chaeto for almost a year now. I throw away a cinder block of Chaeto every month.

Great. Thanks for the quick response. Cheers

Nanofreak79

I'm more of a use a small amount of cheato for pods and what not. I'd have a ten gallon tank full of cheato if I were to use it for nutrient export. GFO is fastest and easiest way to remove phosphates.

Should add that a small Refugiums that we see often on here really isn't removing much nutrients in comparison to the tank size. It is possible to starve out cheato with GFO in a well maintained low nutrient tank, or it grows at a snails pace.

I'm more of a use a small amount of cheato for pods and what not. I'd have a ten gallon tank full of cheato if I were to use it for nutrient export. GFO is fastest and easiest way to remove phosphates.Should add that a small Refugiums that we see often on here really isn't removing much nutrients in comparison to the tank size. It is possible to starve out cheato with GFO in a well maintained low nutrient tank, or it grows at a snails pace.

Makes sense. Thanks. I've decided to add a GFO reactor and keep the Chaeto for the heck of it.

Archived