Cultivated Reef

SUMP QUESTIONS

Jorgieee

I am planning on taking out my rock little by little so I can add my skimmer, sock, and reactor. Any ideas on what I should add other than these things to help me out in the long run?

I removed all my live rock from my sump and I just run chaeto.

Yeah I feel that live rock holds to much debris, and I also feel like the little pieces of debris floating around my tank is due to the rock.

Yeah I feel that live rock holds to much debris, and I also feel like the little pieces of debris floating around my tank is due to the rock.

I always had cyano growing on the sump rocks.

I always had cyano growing on the sump rocks.

Crap !! It there any other alternative then chaeto or live rock?

Partially Submerged

Sand?

I have a sand bed, a few shells and pieces of rubble (more to make it look nice - I enjoy watching that little microcosm) and chaeto.

I never understood the point of adding live rock to the sump. Unless you have an absurd fish load, the rock in your display should be more than enough space for bacteria. I narrowed it down to two options: chaeto or a frag rack. I ended up going with a frag rack in the middle section of my sump. I have a bit of space about 4" that stretches from front to back of my 20 long sump that I may end up adding chaeto to and separating it with some egg crate but for now, I'm all frags down there.

I never understood the point of adding live rock to the sump. Unless you have an absurd fish load, the rock in your display should be more than enough space for bacteria. I narrowed it down to two options: chaeto or a frag rack. I ended up going with a frag rack in the middle section of my sump. I have a bit of space about 4" that stretches from front to back of my 20 long sump that I may end up adding chaeto to and separating it with some egg crate but for now, I'm all frags down there.

Yeah I have six fish in my 42 and don't plan on putting more than that maybe one more max but thats it.

My 20L sump is filter sock, live pukani rock and return pump. I feel like having live rock is more beneficial for my setup than having a fuge with macro. I also have an mj900 pump in there circulating the water in my LR section.

My 20L sump is filter sock, live pukani rock and return pump. I feel like having live rock is more beneficial for my setup than having a fuge with macro. I also have an mj900 pump in there circulating the water in my LR section.

Can you elaborate on why it would be more beneficial. The only thing I can think of is room for bacteria and room for pods but that's about it.

Can you elaborate on why it would be more beneficial. The only thing I can think of is room for bacteria and room for pods but that's about it.

Yes, more surface area for bacteria and pods to grow.

One benefit for live rock in the sump is that you can use less in the display. I go for a minimalist look I'm my display and in my frag tank

Yes, more surface area for bacteria and pods to grow.

One benefit for live rock in the sump is that you can use less in the display. I go for a minimalist look I'm my display and in my frag tank

Thanks, I never thought about those scenarios. I know you can grow pods in chaeto without any issues. With those two scenarios it makes sense and you might be able to add in a FOWLR tank as well if it has a high bioload. I think with regular tanks there would be more than enough space for bacteria in the display rock.

Thanks, I never thought about those scenarios. I know you can grow pods in chaeto without any issues. With those two scenarios it makes sense and you might be able to add in a FOWLR tank as well if it has a high bioload. I think with regular tanks there would be more than enough space for bacteria in the display rock.

here's what i got going on...dont have the skimmer anymore, just wasnt feeling like i needed it.

11212621_10106132936777383_7146330223935

here's what i got going on...dont have the skimmer anymore, just wasnt feeling like i needed it.

11212621_10106132936777383_7146330223935

Nice, I really like the manifold you have for your reactors. Below is my sump. I'm actually going to get rid of the dual reactor and swap in a single reactor. The MJ1200 I have isn't enough for both and I'm not sure if I want to deal with plumbing stuff again. I only have two clowns so it's not like I really need a dual reactor anyways.

th_IMG_20150610_221624.jpg

masterbuilder

I run my sump with a sock and skimmer. (of course probes. heater, pump, etc.) Easy to keep clean and free debris. Suck up any debris every month or so with 1/4" tubing hooked up to my wet/dry vac. Pod population is just fine. IMHO...unless you have a LARGE refuigum, it's just pissin' in the wind.

I run my sump with a sock and skimmer. (of course probes. heater, pump, etc.) Easy to keep clean and free debris. Suck up any debris every month or so with 1/4" tubing hooked up to my wet/dry vac. Pod population is just fine. IMHO...unless you have a LARGE refuigum, it's just pissin' in the wind.

I'm interested in hearing how often people harvest from their refugiums. I've heard the same thing in that you need to have a large refugium to see a difference but with a powerful light, you should be able to grow some serious chaeto in there without any problems and quickly. I think the ideal nutrient export system using plants is still a waterfall algae scrubber.

Archived