Cultivated Reef

Sailfin Tang Possible Problem

kevinw6278

I have a 45 gallon with a tiny sailfin tang that I purchased 10-days ago and seemed to acclimate very well. Hes been active and eating very good daily. I did although buy him at a discounted price, because he has a small white spot on his eye. Today when I went to feed the tank I noticed that he was swiiming back and fourth from two different spots of the tank and had no interest in the food. He looks the same but just isn't acting normal like hes suppose too (Not grazing like he has been etc.) . I checked my ammonia and its fine. I will post a pic of him. I am trying to be proactive. Thanks in advance

post-88454-0-22569000-1435361766_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what the spot is, but that fish needs a 150 (more like 180) gallon tank. A 45 is abusively small.

Why anyone would buy a diseased/damaged fish is beyond my comprehension, even free.

Is it in your display tank? If so, too late to be proactive.

It could be ich or flukes and could also be popeye. It needs to be in a QT tank where it can be treated. Is it flashing at all? Any other spots? What do you mean you checked ammonia and it is fine? Is it zero?

I used to rescue fish from the pet stores all the time. But I never paid for them. ;)

Try a water change. Different food too.

I have clown and a devil damsel that have been in there for 3 years unscaved (Along with a coral banded shrimp). That being said, I came in this morning and he was stuck to the filter barely alive. It had to be that spot on his eye, going forward I am not buying any more sick fish. Was just trying to maybe save him, knowing he had no chance at petco. Not to mention he was only 11$. I am going to wait a while to make sure there isn't any of his disease remaining in the tank and try again with ahelathy one. I have a Tang live for 4-years in this tank so I know its substainable.

I won't be the tang police, I'll just tell you that the fish is stressed, stress leads to increased disease potential, and most likely he will die and there's at least a small chance that any disease he has will spread to the other fish.

Being proactive means not buying a diseased fish in the first place. Even if healthy because of the type of tang he is stress will be an issue. All tangs are not equal. Take the yellow tang for example; in the same family but not the same personality as the sailfin and can do fine in a smaller tank for a good while. I would seriously consider taking it back.

I think a Kole or small yellow tang would do well in your tank as long as water quality is good.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE SAILFIN TANG WAS MORE TOLERABLE TO SMALLER CONDITIONS THAN THE YELLOW. tHEY HAVE SOME VERY SMALL YELLOW TANGS AVAIABLE RIGHT NOW WHICH I DONT SEE OFTEN. I MAY GET ONE. SORRY FOPR THE ALL CAPS DIDINT FEEL LIKE RETYPING AFTER I SAW WHAT I JUST DID.

Archived