Coral Vue Hydros

29g with AC filter

Menelikia

Okay, so after debating a sump system (many thanks to seabass for comments/help), I think I'm going to go with a HOB filter. I know this is far from the optimal solution (i.e., sump w/ fuge, etc) but I am terribly afraid of overflowing in a second story apartment. I tend to travel internationally a bit throughout the year -- fairly far (24 hours + airplane travel) -- and will have my partner look over the tank while I'm gone.

I have only recently gotten back into reef-keeping and am looking to build a hardy tank. Mostly zoas and LPS. The attractiveness of a HOB filter to me is that the water level can drop and I'm at no risk of overflow (can I trust ATO??)... I would rather come home to a tank with 1-2 inches dropped than an overflowed tank.

If this seems unreasonable -- please let me know. I'd rather be safe and build a careful reef system than a quick-and-dirty one and be sorry.

There's nothing wrong with what you've got planned with a HOB filter. That's how I started with a 10g. AC hob with and inTank basket and you'd be set.

Please know that a properly designed system with a sump will not overflow. Also know that the AC filters are not overflow proof. In fact, many have flooded floors due to AC filters. One thing that happens is the filter media (sponge, floss, etc) will float up and cause water to be pushed out the back. This will drain your tank all the way down to the bottom of the intake.

I have 3 AC filters and I use some weight on the media I run to make sure it doesn't float up. I use some little ceramic trinket things my wife collected from tea bags. Plop a couple on top of the floss and I'm good to go. Also, ditch that little plastic adjuster on the bottom used to keep the filter level. They easily slip and water may again pour out the back or side of the unit. I like to support the filter from the bottom so no weight is hanging off the tank. Make it nice a level/plumb.

An ATO can be used, yes and it is a good idea. Something with a high-water shut off will reduce the risk of flooding via your ATO res.

Oh, I use an AC70 on a 10g and a 110 on a 20g Long. Get the 110.

Thanks guys --CJJon, I will definitely take your advice on using the AC, plus I'll go for the 110. My other option is going for an AIO system, like the IM 20 Nuvo, but I think I might go HOB for now.

Archived