Pod Your Reef

gyre pumps

Gooburz

Currently the only company I see that makes the Gyre pumps is Maxspect and the pumps look truly amazing I can't justify spending $200-$300 for a single pump, personally I think that is insane. Are there any other companies out there coming out with this design like Jebao or someone else that would make it more affordable?

Probably patented design which is why jebao doesn't have a copy of an mp. I imagine coralvue would be all over a copy the same as ecotech would over their product.

I have the gyre xf130 on my 75 gallon and absolutely love it. It is the only pump I use aside from my return and easily covers the entire tank. That being said, some people don't like them for the flow, lack controllability, and reliability. Some people have had snails break the pump paddles. As far as flow goes, to create a gyre there really. Any be that much differentiation in flow pattern.

I don't think anybody will be really making a similar pump soon. I'm sure patents were pulled for a lot of the design features. That being said, I am not a patent lawyer

I love what the pump does, I think the design is the best on the market. I just hate that they go for up to $300 for a single pump, spending that much I would not expect a $1 snail to destroy it. About 4 months left on my deployment so maybe one will come out that is better design for keeping stuff like snails out and be a little cheaper.

I love what the pump does, I think the design is the best on the market. I just hate that they go for up to $300 for a single pump, spending that much I would not expect a $1 snail to destroy it. About 4 months left on my deployment so maybe one will come out that is better design for keeping stuff like snails out and be a little cheaper.

A revised version of the paddles is already in the works they'll be thicker and only have 4 paddles. 300 isn't bad for the amount of flow that's covered. To get a gyre using regular power heads it requires 1 in each corner and for them to be programmed. Even if you used wp25 you'd still have to buy 4

It's too bad, there was a cheaper alternative but it looks like he is out of business. Possibly Maxspect sent in their Chinese goons to rough him up. Tragic,it was a hell of a product.

Alexanders Aquatic

I've spent a lot of time even trying to find a picture of this amazing device and came up empty. Other products they made yes, the gyre no. I'll still be on the hunt

An example of his other work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alexanders-Aquatic-Pico-Surface-Skim-/261636268550?nma=true&si=jnJMAHFFhqcBeSzHSlTxpTZ4lZQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A revised version of the paddles is already in the works they'll be thicker and only have 4 paddles. 300 isn't bad for the amount of flow that's covered. To get a gyre using regular power heads it requires 1 in each corner and for them to be programmed. Even if you used wp25 you'd still have to buy 4

Again I agree that the pump is amazing but it's not worth $300, they are charging that because they are the only ones with it and getting away with it, at most it should be half that amount for a water pump. It's not like it is a light or a protein skimmer. You can't release a product and charge an insane amount when it breaks VERY easily, you are not getting what you pay for at that point or maybe I'm just old fashion in that way.

StevieT I'm with you waiting to find another company to make it and it will prolly wind up better at a cheaper price too.

Too many companies out there now a days over charge the hell out of a product that is SUB par at best and then you will get a small business family owned that puts out an amazing quality product for way cheaper and it winds up being way better. What happened to those days?

jedimasterben

Again I agree that the pump is amazing but it's not worth $300, they are charging that because they are the only ones with it and getting away with it, at most it should be half that amount for a water pump. It's not like it is a light or a protein skimmer. You can't release a product and charge an insane amount when it breaks VERY easily, you are not getting what you pay for at that point or maybe I'm just old fashion in that way.

I think you're failing to realize the scope of these pumps. The sales numbers are enormous, the number of people that have had the paddles broken is incredibly tiny in comparison. I have plenty of dwarf ceriths, hundreds of periwinkles, and breeding populations of Euplica snails and limpets, and despite having my Gyre 150 since last September and my 130 since late January I've had no broken paddles. I've had plenty of snails shredded by them, and one lucky dwarf cerith that got sucked into the 150 and pinned against the output grate while the paddles whittled its shell down, all without damage to the paddles. The paddles breaking is more legend than reality when you sit down and look at the numbers. ;)

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. They're not as cheap to make as you are probably thinking.

Unless you are a manufacturer of similar niche product how how can you claim to be an expert in the cost of said manufacturing?

I think you're failing to realize the scope of these pumps. The sales numbers are enormous, the number of people that have had the paddles broken is incredibly tiny in comparison. I have plenty of dwarf ceriths, hundreds of periwinkles, and breeding populations of Euplica snails and limpets, and despite having my Gyre 150 since last September and my 130 since late January I've had no broken paddles. I've had plenty of snails shredded by them, and one lucky dwarf cerith that got sucked into the 150 and pinned against the output grate while the paddles whittled its shell down, all without damage to the paddles. The paddles breaking is more legend than reality when you sit down and look at the numbers. ;)

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. They're not as cheap to make as you are probably thinking.

I see where you are coming from, I was a little harsh about it initially mainly because of having to shell out a ton of money for a home expense so I wasn't in the best mood. Mainly because home repairs take money out of my reef fund haha

Yes what the pump does is awesome/amazing and yes I will be getting one for my tank as long as nothing else breaks at home *fingers crossed*.

jamescstein

On a side note.. I had an old Koralia Nano that was working perfectly.. Installed a Koralia wave controller and the impeller on the pump disintegrated within a week. The fins on the impeller couldn't handle the start stop and broke off. No snail no obstruction.

The cases of the fins on the gyre breaking could just be a case of a bad mold or batch of plastic.

The cases of the fins on the gyre breaking could just be a case of a bad mold or batch of plastic.

I would suspect this as well. I had multiple fins break causing me to have to replace 3 of the 4 paddle wheels in the first 2 weeks of owning the gyre. No snails. The fins were basically detaching themselves on the outer edge vs snapping in the middle.

jedimasterben

I would suspect this as well. I had multiple fins break causing me to have to replace 3 of the 4 paddle wheels in the first 2 weeks of owning the gyre. No snails. The fins were basically detaching themselves on the outer edge vs snapping in the middle.

Yeah, that is definitely abnormal. Did you contact Coralvue about it?

Yeah, that is definitely abnormal. Did you contact Coralvue about it?

Yeah I did, but because I bought it from an "unauthorized" dealer online they weren't willing to do anything for me. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks

jedimasterben

Yeah I did, but because I bought it from an "unauthorized" dealer online they weren't willing to do anything for me. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks

Unauthorized dealer?

StevieT I'm with you waiting to find another company to make it and it will prolly wind up better at a cheaper price too.

Too many companies out there now a days over charge the hell out of a product that is SUB par at best and then you will get a small business family owned that puts out an amazing quality product for way cheaper and it winds up being way better. What happened to those days?

They are charging this much because beyond materials cost, they spent considerable money on R&D and marketing. I don't think they are profiting from it as much as you think at this point, so to call it insane without understanding the background financials is a bit much.

Unauthorized dealer?

Yep I found out when I was trying to go through the warranty process that the vender who sold me the gyre was no longer allowed to sell Maxspect products because they wouldn't follow the msrp rules or whatever.

Archived