Coral Vue Hydros

Chaeto hitchhikers

holy carp

I think you nailed that identification, I guess I was looking in a dead end researching hydroids, sorry I failed you but a good thing is both of us have learned quite a bit from all this researching.

also I must remark that that the anemone looks quite a bit different with the matured look and the many more tentacles, kinda cool the mouth is totally visible now and reveals its true anemone nature.

the oceans never cease to surprise me with diversity.

It was a fun learning experience that I might not have taken without your encouragement, so thank you.

Not sure what I'll do with it in the long run. I'll keep it going in the bucket for a while to see how it grows (seeing how they swim is pretty amazing), but definitely won't be putting it back in the tank given that dropped legs can spawn new anemones... I'm relieved it's quarantined, and will keep my eye out for any more in that chaeto ball.

Anyone need some berghia food?

It was a fun learning experience that I might not have taken without your encouragement, so thank you.

Not sure what I'll do with it in the long run. I'll keep it going in the bucket for a while to see how it grows (seeing how they swim is pretty amazing), but definitely won't be putting it back in the tank given that dropped legs can spawn new anemones... I'm relieved it's quarantined, and will keep my eye out for any more in that chaeto ball.

Anyone need some berghia food?

dude you should make it drop some tentacles, and make the biggest invasion in the bucket ever lol. I like to make big aiptasia angry and pedal lacerate like mad in my tank, it's like the biggest invasion ever now lol

Well, apparently it doesn't even take that much. I looked in the bucket this morning and there are at least 2 in there now.

The most shocking part is that the 2nd is almost the same size as the first! Either it grew really fast or just split in half. Then there's a 3rd white clump that looks like it may be the beginning of another. I haven't fed that bucket with anything but waste water

Do you ever throw your aiptasia into your powerhead to help seed your tank?

Lol that's pretty quick, I'd imagine he split in 2 because otherwise there would be a definitely smaller one.

I don't got a power head in that tank, I sometimes scratch them with the tweezers since they are so soft, if they are hurt way too bad they can die though so I play it safe and do little wounds. Also making their water bad will make them angry and reproduce at an excessive rate, its unbelievable, I had my biggest anemone I call alpha, it made at least 20 pedal lacerated babies at one time because the water was a little too fouled from overfeeding it only moved an inch to leave all that behind. It was weird because I could see the pieces of disk growing little breakage lines dividing where a new polyp would form. Cool stuff.

And then there were three...

I hadn't checked on them for nearly a week. Pretty prolific considering they haven't gotten food or water changes in that bucket for about 2 weeks (other than adding the little bit of chaeto). Also, w/o temp control, that bucket is probably swinging undergoing some big temp swings by a window in an non-air-conditioned kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's been a surprising turn of events...

On Sunday I had to prune the chaeto in my sump. Meanwhile in the bucket, the 3 anemones were getting pretty strong looking. So I added a new clump of chaeto about the size of a softball to their bucket and replaced a gallon of water. Call it a 25% water change. I assumed they would thrive.

Well, I checked on them last night and couldn't find any. Surely they are in that chaeto, so I took to closer inspection. The chaeto was starting to decompose somewhat - still mostly green, but browning on the underside. I guess that clump was too dense for the amount of ambient lighting. Still, I couldn't find them anywhere, but I did find a few big fat corynactis.

Could there have been a turf war? I wish there was a way to know...

Later I noticed a tiny Boloceroides on the wall of the bucket, but this morning the resident lone CUC nerite snail was in exactly that spot on the wall of the bucket and the anemone was gone... Hard to imagine the snail eating it, but it could have blindly displaced it. That thing was way too tiny to support if it moved onto the chaeto.

I'll keep an eye on them, but I don't think I'll continue breeding those super sticky corynactis for too long if they are the only residents.

Archived